Hours of searching per shed...

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Hours of searching per shed...

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:07 am

On average I figure I put in 4-6hrs and roughly 8-12 miles of walking per shed... up to 4 this year so far with over 15hrs of walking...3 fresh, 1 old.

PrimeTime is right around the corner....

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:13 am

ozzz wrote:Stan, thats good work.

I have never put any effort into shed hunting. Maybe this year. Adds an extra element to scouting at least.

What I like about shed hunting is you can look for other things as you do it. Buck beds, trees for stand locations, possible food plot locations, etc.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 am

Lots of hours for ZERO Deer sheds...

I've found a 1/2 dozen Moose sheds though.

Stan - I really need to send some sarcastic humor your way with that 7-hours of hunting, but just can't do it...
Would you be offended if I swore at you - I tap out. ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:19 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Lots of hours for ZERO Deer sheds...

I've found a 1/2 dozen Moose sheds though.

Stan - I really need to send some sarcastic humor your way with that 7-hours of hunting, but just can't do it...
Would you be offended if I swore at you - I tap out. ;)

I can handle anything, with one exception; making sport of my chainsaw. :naughty: ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:27 am

Overall it would be tough to say. I had days where I would walk for 3 hours last year and I would find 12. One day I remember I walked for about 4 hours and found 4, and then found 7 in less than 5 minutes, all within 100 or so yards of each other. But between yesterday and today I have put in 5 or 6 hours and I haven't found any. I would say on average it's about an hour per shed - although I really don't remember how long I walked last year - I just knew I walked alot. There are areas that I hunt where I know I could blow over some average cover or average ground and jump from really good ground to really good ground and probably pick up 10 easily in an hour - but I would miss a bunch of antlers and I try to sweep the entire ground that I hunt if at all possible. These boots were brand new before last shed season. This happened over the course of about 2.5 months.

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:12 pm

the only sheds i've found were on the side of a freeway in november. they must of fallen out a truck somehow. they score 124". it was a sweet find. one was laying on the rumble strip. it was like 11pm
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Last year I parked to go shed hunt...was standing outside the truck getting my day pack ready.

Looked over on the other side of the blacktop....about twenty yards from the side of the road there was one.
Went over and there were three. :mrgreen:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:47 am

I would say a good 20 hours per shed for me. LOTS of competition for me.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:48 am

I have found less then a dozen my whole life. I usually look for sheds, while I scout. So like Dewey, I probably miss a few. My son got a pup last winter. He is a black lab mix, he has been training it to find sheds. I don't think he is ready yet, but will see this spring. I am going to be more seriuos about it now.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:18 am

no clue, i try not to think of it that way. i try to get scouting in a tthe same time also. it only makes sense to pay attention to everything as long as your out there.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:04 am

Swampthing wrote:A few years back I was out snowmobiling with a friend. He hunts , but just not too hardcore. We were sledding with-in the city limits, where there is NO HUNTING but good deer numbers. All I could think about was all the sheds that might be laying out in the woods we were passing by.
We had stopped along some RR tracks , and he says to me. " So how do you SHED HUNT ?
I wanta try . I'm thinking to my-self GOOD LUCK .You need to bust your but put on some miles and if your lucky , you might find one. I go on to tell him how I had only found 2 so far this year.
So i decide to play along. FIRST you need to find a well used deer trail. So he looks around and says " Oh kinda like this one right here ? " SECOND you need to walk the trail and scan for an antler or tines sticking up ? THIRD if you find a side then keep looking but along the opposite side of the trail for the other side.
So he takes about 3 steps onto the trail . And says " HEY there's one ! and picks up a 4 point right side. " Now I just keep walking and look on the left side of the trail for the other side ? "
I jealousy respond " Yeah " He takes about 5 more steps and hollers " Hey Donivan ! I found the other side. Then he says boy i like shed hunting it's easy . How come you 've only found 2 so far ?
So to some it up. My buddy in a matter of 2 minutes decides he is gonna try shed hunting and finds a MATCHED SET . Unbeleivable !

:lol: You need to take him out more often
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:29 am

I have spent 6 hours so far this year and I have found one matched set.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:40 am

I've found 8 so far this year in about 15 hrs so roughly 1 ever two hrs. However, two of them were laying in front of my camera so actually scouting/shed hunting 6 in 15 hrs.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Here in the Northeast In areas with decent moose populations. guys go NUTS over moose sheds. I mean NUTS.

I found 6 deer sheds last year. But not shed hunting. Mostly just scouting. Sheds are buried under a pile of snow right now.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Guys go nuts around here over sheds period. I am serious, there is more competition than bow season. I don't really get it, but different strokes for different folks. Shed hunting is more a function of pure effort, I'm not lazy but prefer to sweat my but off to kill the buck.

When I am looking hard 2 hrs for every shed is about right. I cover serious ground doing that, probably faster than most, might walk by a few but make up for it in more ground covered. Average speed between 2 and 3 miles/hr.

Most of the time I am scouting and just happen to find sheds. Found 3 this year doing that. Much less than 1 shed every 2 hrs walking...probably have 30 hrs scouting in already this year and "only" 3 sheds doing it.

3 dead bucks and counting too, my average for those is the same as sheds not suprising since a lot of scouting is focused on bedding :lol: .

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”