Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:40 am

Poison Ivy ie real common down here. It grows everywhere. I use to get it pretty bad a couple times a year, mostly in huntin season but it doesn't bother me anymore. My wife can get near it and catch it :mrgreen: she takes shots for it each spring. She gets 3 shots (1 every 2 weeks) and she hardly ever gets it anymore. She might get a spot but it doesn't spread.

Couple ole wives tales....
I've been told if you get it, pee on it, it'll dry it right up. I always thought they just wanted to see if I would do it.

I've also been told to eat a pice of the stem and you won't catch it anymore. No way I'm doin that one either :mrgreen:

I just ignore it now and don't worry about it. I tell my wife it's all in her head is why she gets it.

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:04 am

If I am walking through the woods and somebody points a quarter mile down through the woods and says, "look at that tree covered in poison IVY." I instantly run for the car and head home to get a shower. Usually that means I am covered in the crap. I get it just from somebody talking about it.

I have lately been hitting up the doctor every three months to get a shot that is supposed to keep you from getting it. Not sure how well it works considering I just got done battling the crap all over my arms and legs, (way too close to the family jewels for comfort). I will try just about anything to keep from getting this stuff. Except chew on it. That's just plain silly talk right there.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm

So I'm starting to reassess myself now. I assumed that from the past couple years experience, I've had a late onset extreme sensitivity to poison ivy. But now that I'm nearly 100% sure that all of those rashes were due to wild parsnip (the symptoms just fit so much better), I'm thinking I might not have unusual poison ivy sensitivity. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I've had without a doubt poison ivy. Interesting. You have no idea how paranoid I was about it turkey hunting this spring, and my deliberate avoidance of it probably led me right to the real culprit in my case.

At any rate, these are all some really good thoughts on the subject. I was not even aware they gave preventative shots for poison ivy. Can't say I would try eating it lol!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Glad I posted about the wild parsnip. Now that you can identify it hopefully your outdoor adventures can be less stressful not having to wonder what was causing your rash.

Wild parsnip affects some people much more than others. I have been walking thru it for years with no negative reactions. Been watching for it since we started this discussion and I cannot believe how much is around. Around here the ditches and CRP fields are full of the stuff! :shock:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:22 pm

PM sent.

Also I have heard antiperspirant applied on your exposed areas can help prevent absorption of the toxins thru your skin.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Saw this article in the paper and thought I would post it here. Hopefully it can be enlarged enough to read clearly.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:13 am

I have used Tecnu stuff and it works well.

One thing that has almost been a fail proof source for me though.... Once you get from the woods or wherever you may have came in contact if poison ivy, ect Hop in the shower with a bottle of dawn. Take a hot shower to open your pores and wash down really good with dawn. I was told this by a friend whose dad is a Dr. and he said that's what they have always done. I have been doing this for several years now and I cannot remember the last time I had a break out other than maybe a single bump or two on my hands between my fingers.

Also need to mention I am so allergic to poison ivy, I can look at it, and fear of getting it!! :lol:
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:57 am

I looked back at this thread and it dawns on me that the OP wasn't sure what he'd come in contact with. Then it dawned on me that I'm always pointing out and ID-ing poison ivy to customers on their property,or to co-workers,or..

Point is that many people who spend some time outside don't know poison ivy well enough to spot it among other plants. Many people can't ID it a week after I've shown them.

The best way to avoid poison ivy and other poisonous plants? Know it WELL.

If you don't know that you've been in contact with it,you won't know to wash extra-well that evening.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:08 am

If you get into PI in the field & you know it. Try to find the little touch me not plants(small orange flowers with the little green pods that pop when squeezed). Make a paste with a little water & rub on & you will be fine. Natures cure, & they usually grow close together. Mike
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Lemon juice and/or Dial dish detergent are supposed to cut the oil, a bottle of either and some baby wipes are a great feild bath

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 am

I saw a great youtube video about preventing poison ivy about a year ago but can't find it now. The video was made by a doctor who was very sensitive to poison ivy so he did some research and figured out that you need to scrub off the oils after exposure with soap and rag. According to him the uroshol oil is very similar to grease. Anybody that has had grease on there skin knows how much you have to scrub to completely remove it. Apparently poison ivy is the same way. If you scrub any exposed areas multiple times with a soapy rag it should take care of it. I scrubbed with a rag last year after any possible poison ivy exposure and I never had as much as a single spot of poison ivy.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:30 pm

another thing to remember about poison ivy is that on the east coast it grows in vine and bush form, on the west coast its much more rare to see vines and almost all ivy is bush. somewhere around the middle of the country you start to see vines again much more often. You'd be wise to research what vine and bush ivy look like
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:15 pm

I feel your pain, I got hit poison ivy, and poison sumac pretty bad in each of the last 3 seasons. I tend to work up a good sweat in the early season so if I come in contact with it my pores are usually open and the oil gets itself settled in pretty good if I am on a long walk back in the swamp.

Urushiol oil is the problem. Once it is on your skin the oil is difficult to get off without thoroughly scrubbing your body after a hunt.

This year I got it on my arms, legs, neck, and face. Likely because I came in contact with it then rubbed my face etc... Get your skin clean, I mean really clean if you think you have come in contact with it. The oil is not visible on your skin but hitting hard with dish soap, tecnu, and heavy scrubbing will get the oil off

This guy's video is spot on. Having a water jug, or soap water spray bottle in your truck where you can wipe down after a hunt can help.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0[/bbvideo]

hope this helps!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm

I got it on both forearms early November took until a few days ago to go by-by.

Yuck.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I had it this year sawing some branches and it got down my shirt. I washed my arms and hands but didn't think about it going down my shirt. The best thing is to ignore it. Sounds dumb but scratching don't cut it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”