Tom Brown Jr.

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Tom Brown Jr.

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 am

Anyone here ever read his books and field guides? IMO they are really good. When I was a kid my folks would send me to a camp on a dairy farm along the NY/Mass border. My counseler was full Cherokee and taught at Tom's survival school in the pine barrens. That dude was hard core he had us eat road kill racoon. He made a fire on the side of the road and cooked it up. It was actually pretty good?

I highly recommend Tom's field guides and his story books are good too especially "The Tracker"
Even though I think most who follow his ways are part of the birkenstock army..... Tom is as hard core as they get on survival.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Spysar
500 Club

Re: Tom Brown Jr.

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 am

I live on the NY/Mass border. What town was this?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:54 am

I've ate coon several times. Good stuff. Not road kill tho :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Spysar wrote:I live on the NY/Mass border. What town was this?

I have to ask my folks, but I think it was called Harlemville or Hawthorn Valley. It was the Waldodoff school that ran it. I went there in/or around '85 to '87.
Was one of the best experiences of my life. I learned so much about stalking from my counseler. Walking bear foot in the woods and taking my time was the single most important lesson though. He could have 8, 11 year olds boys walk up on deer with them not knowing we were there?? We could all learn from tons to help us us hunt, from the ways of the Indians. They founded the original beast style hunting techniques IMO.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:50 pm

I read his books when I was in my survivalist stage in my teens and early 20s... Very good stuff. Still remember the debris hut we made after reading his story about his friends grandfather that made them build one and sleep in it. A lot of my survival knowledge comes from him. I also remember a story that ran in reader digest years ago about him tracking down a lost boy...good stuff !!!!!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I have read his book titled Tracker. He is a little out there and some of his accomplishments/ claims are kind of stretched in truth.

He has tracked down lost children and escaped criminals. This is true...... He just adds some extra spice to the stories.

Spysar I have the book at home and will be there tomorrow and check what area he writes about " the Pine Barron's".

My memory is sketchy but thought it was in New Jersey?

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 am

Pine Barrens in New Jersey.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:07 am

I learned a lot from reading his books as a teenager. That got me started looking at tracks more than just marks in the dirt, to try to think what the animal is thinking laying down those tracks. I support most of his ideas. He is a storyteller that is true but I have the impression he could track a mouse across a flat rock, impressive as heck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”