Pike and Muskie

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Re: Pike and Muskie

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:15 pm

The old in-fisherman "secrets" series are still very relevant today. If you can get your hands on Pike Secrets or Musky Secrets, it's a really good start. I haven't spent that much time with musky, but you start getting into big pike when you start to understand their seasonal patterns. Just like big deer behave differently than small deer, the same goes for Essox Lusius.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:16 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Secrets- ... B000LC0T3K

And this one is the same book, just a later edition if I remember correctly.
http://www.amazon.com/Pike-Handbook-Str ... 0929384520
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:24 pm

How is the bite up there Daniel? We use to get on good fish time of year between Kenora and Dryden.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Any good reports and pictures how your season is going so far?

Sorry no pics I was fishing solo but I boated a decent one on Pelican back in early July but that has been the extent of my musky fishing this summer due to work. Heading north to try my luck in October again.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Any good reports and pictures how your season is going so far?

Well, that depends on how one defines good.
I have been learning what doesn't work and where not to fish. Other than Lake Michigan, any other Muskie water is over an hour away. Combine that with water temps around 80 degrees and yyyeeeaaahh, kinda slow. The rest of the summer I just couldn't bring myself to fish for them with water temps being that warm. From what I've read, catching them already stresses them, I don't need to risk killing them for my enjoyment.
I did get the boat & trailer completely re wired. And things swapped over from my other boat, which I also sold.

One lake I fished a few weeks ago yielded a big tiger follow, but couldn't get her to take.

I have a subscription to Musky Hunter and read that in one week. The other books and educational tools are on the wish list for Christmas.

I have decided to spend less time hunting this year and more time fishing. Some say Musky fishing is more difficult in the fall because of turn over. If that's the case, pike fishing should be good in the fall.

Thanks for asking.

How has your season gone?

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:36 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:How is the bite up there Daniel? We use to get on good fish time of year between Kenora and Dryden.

If I had time to fish, its really a great time to pick off a real lunker. The fish are at their biggest in the coming month.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:49 pm

I have a decision to make.

My research has led me to the conclusion that there is one Musky guide here in SW Michigan, and the reviews aren't much to rave about. So, I am torn between spending my out of state hunting trip funds and hiring a guide on lake St Clair or one in Wisconsin.
I don't know that I want to hire a guide on St Clair because I'm not sure it would be a true reflection of regular fishing stuggles because of the lakes reputation. I know of 3 people who have booked a charter on St Clair and none of them were happy with the trip.
Yet, I still don't know if I would get the same result in Wisconsin.
Any input or know of a guide in Wisconsin?

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:57 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:I have a decision to make.

My research has led me to the conclusion that there is one Musky guide here in SW Michigan, and the reviews aren't much to rave about. So, I am torn between spending my out of state hunting trip funds and hiring a guide on lake St Clair or one in Wisconsin.
I don't know that I want to hire a guide on St Clair because I'm not sure it would be a true reflection of regular fishing stuggles because of the lakes reputation. I know of 3 people who have booked a charter on St Clair and none of them were happy with the trip.
Yet, I still don't know if I would get the same result in Wisconsin.
Any input or know of a guide in Wisconsin?

Nolan Koepp if you want to travel to Green Bay. Otherwise, I'd strongly consider talking to Bucky. His dad picked up a license this year. He may give you the best rate with a fair amount of coaching. Bucky learned a ton from Nolan...if I remember correctly he went dark to dark with him before doing his own thing.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:49 pm

If you are looking to troll and good shot at a decent fish in WI green bay is the destination. It's not my thing though.

If you want to cast northern WI let me know. I'm not guide, don't claim to be, but if you want to fish northern WI you could jump in my rig for a weekend. 100% casting and catch and release. I only have a few weekends free but maybe we could set something up.

My season has been down for bigger fish, as with all up here this year (last 3 years), but catch rate is hovering around the 4-5 hours per fish mark. If you want a full time guide, could set you up with a few.....I know all of the better known guides up here pretty well.

Or can wait until next year if you would prefer. Please feel to pm.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Dewey wrote:

Sorry no pics I was fishing solo but I boated a decent one on Pelican back in early July but that has been the extent of my musky fishing this summer due to work. Heading north to try my luck in October again.

My inlaws live on Pelican. Little Hodag took second (he caught the fish) fishing with my father in law (his grandpa) on a small Pelican musky tourney a few weeks backs.

Feel free to contact me when your up.....I have an Ontario trip planned in October, just don't have dates pinned down. (Weather dictating when)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:

My inlaws live on Pelican. Little Hodag took second (he caught the fish) fishing with my father in law (his grandpa) on a small Pelican musky tourney a few weeks backs.

Feel free to contact me when your up.....I have an Ontario trip planned in October, just don't have dates pinned down. (Weather dictating when)

Been driving right by Pelican for 25+ years headed up to Vilas and always talked about giving it a try. Spur of the moment I decided to try it on my way home and man did I feel foolish for ignoring it all these years. Caught my musky the first few hours ever being on the lake. Lot's of structure and weedbeds to keep a guy busy for a long time. I will be going back for sure. 8-)

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Been driving right by Pelican for 25+ years headed up to Vilas and always talked about giving it a try. Spur of the moment I decided to try it on my way home and man did I feel foolish for ignoring it all these years. Caught my musky the first few hours ever being on the lake. Lot's of structure and weedbeds to keep a guy busy for a long time. I will be going back for sure. 8-)

Stay away from my 'after work' lake. ;)

Great body of water.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm

Pelican isnt a bad lake to fish, but is a shell what she once was 15-20 years ago.

Bass give me a shout if you want to head out a night after work.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:24 pm

GB is not all trolling... plenty of guys do really well casting.

I'm a big fan of Cpt Nolan if you are looking to learn how to troll for trophy eyes or skis on GB. He is one of the best

Casting... I'd try Brett Jolly or Bret Alexander... but I'm guessing by now... 2015 is booked till close!

I would not be suprised at all if multiple 50 lbs skis were caught out of GB this fall. #s and size are now present in the system and they are girthy

Going with Hodag up North sounds like an awesome offer.... he sounds like a great mentor

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Pelican isnt a bad lake to fish, but is a shell what she once was 15-20 years ago.

Bass give me a shout if you want to head out a night after work.

I'll keep you posted on my schedule. I have some half days to burn if I don't burn them on the "da (green) bay"

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”