The Spring Migration

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

The Spring Migration

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:30 am

It is that time of year when the birds are moving to or through depending on where you are. I have been on the road this week to Louisville and through Cincinnati on my way back. They had green grass and blossoms on trees down there and it got me in the mood to start watching for birds to arrive, and especially some that may be just passing through.

Last year around this time we had a loon on our lake. I will see them around here on their trip up north on rare occasion. I thought it was a treat, and a few neighbors who I rarely see on the lake, were like yeh we see them all the time. Right.

Anyway, yesterday my neighbor Ann asked what was up in the bare cottonwood, and I said that is a cedar waxwing. Went to grab the binocs and it flew off, but it was definitely a waxwing, grabbed the bird book and showed them and they agreed.

So yesterday I was at the kitchen sink looking to the canal and I see a beaver swimming up the canal. Today I am looking for birds, just saw an eastern phoebe out the kitchen window, not to be confused with a slate colored junco. Junco's have a seed cracking beak like a sparrow, while the phoebes have longer dark beaks and a head like a mini flycatcher, and longer tails, while we are at it. Stepping on the front porch a sterling, a few robins, and the usual nuthatches and chickadees.

So, I may take a ride across the lake and go for a stroll. Then I will add to my list. With the leaves off of the trees, and the migration upon us this is the best time of year for bird watching.

If you decide to chime in on your findings, please put your location if it is not in your signature. It really helps to know where you are seeing things.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Re: The Spring Migration

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 am

I saw a cedar waxwing, one of my favorite birds in the top of a sycamore tree two days ago. I love to see them when they arrive in flocks in the fall when they are sitting on the electric lines and watch them pass food down the lone to each other. I have a large holly tree and they like holly berries
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 am

The Sandhills Cranes have returned to MidMichigan and are preparing to nest. I have interacted with them for a couple of weeks now.

Lou, they likely showed in your area in early March and they may have been nesting for a couple of weeks now.

Us swamp dudes know stuff. ;)
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:27 am

We have had a few Sand hill Cranes stopping in PA for a few years now. I thought I was seeing things the first time I saw one.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 am

Spring has finally brought our northern Michigan marshes back to life. I mentioned that I have watched many Sandhills cranes of late...

Here are two Trumpeter Swans being territorial with each other:

Here's 15 painted turtles sunning themselves on a floating log:

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:37 am

Hoping other beasts have pics, the spring migration can be observed while scouting, turkey hunting, etc. I really enjoy watching it.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:20 am

For me the bird I specifically look for is the red wing Blackbird. I have to believe that it's a combination of photoperiodicity and weather, but the first ones show up within a few days of the first day of spring here every year. The bluebirds are usually right on their heels.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”