Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:54 pm

If u wash the affected exposed areas with two to four hours with an oil cutting soap (like Dawn) and scrub the heck out of it you can avoid most out breaks. I'm extremely allergic to it but seldom get it since i learned to do this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Zap wrote:I got it on both forearms early November took until a few days ago to go by-by.

Yuck.

I've got it now...and I know what it looks like...This time of year, if you see a tree with a hairy vine, beware. In the swamps where I hunt some, every single tree has it...literally EVERY ONE...it sucks. I climbed one saturday, while I already had it....It was the only tree where the vine wasn't securely attached...I snipped it up high and hung my stand. When I got home I washed up good but still think I got a little bit. May keep some technu in my pack and wash good in the swamp water after.

OH, if you do get your stand in it..WASH THE HECK out of it!!! Last year, after I hung up my stand, I had to move it cleaning out my garage. Touched the stand and got it! It will stay around.
Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Re: Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:16 am

When finished in the woods wash exposed skin with dawn dishing detergent. It takes the poison ivy oils off your skin.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 am

DaveT1963 wrote:If u wash the affected exposed areas with two to four hours with an oil cutting soap (like Dawn) and scrub the heck out of it you can avoid most out breaks. I'm extremely allergic to it but seldom get it since i learned to do this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I've done this too and it works great. Funny story, one of the kids thought it would be funny to poop outside and whip with leaves, well you guessed it, they choose poison ivy leaves to whip with. :shock: Well we scrubbed them up for a good 15 minutes and no break out so as long as you catch it and take care of it there is nothing to worry about.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 am

I've got a small rash on my arm from the swamp yesterday. Been a few years since I've had it, and first time in February getting it
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm destined to get it apparently...and down low if you know what I mean. I always get it there :roll:

Our refuge is mostly swamps and hardwood bottoms and it's everywhere. So much so that I've actually started ground hunting with my crossbow. I wish I could figure out how to coexist in a tree with it but not sure. I'm talking about some areas have the entire trunk of trees covered with multiple vines...some vines are even as big around as your wrist. Hard to setup a tree stand especially close to bedding when you gotta worry about the vines.

If I know I touch it I can prevent it but sometimes I don't know that I've touched something.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 pm

I got it bad enough last year to need 2 steroid shots. TecNu and calamine were my friends too.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
beartruth2

Unread postby beartruth2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 am

Here in texas i get it every summer an early hunting season
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:51 pm

I got it bad this year. It was warm and the tree I wanted to hang my stand had a huge vine. I cut it out but when I wrapped the strap around the tree the residual oil got me me good. Hate hunting in a short sleeve T shirt. The stand was a bust never saw a buck out of it either.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 pm

I am so cautious around it, I will "clear" any tools that have come in contact with it. Particularly saws. If I cut the vine to kill it, I will then find a hardwood sapling to cut through to make sure it gets rubbed off the blade. We have been so wet these last two years in Texas, the poison ivy has been growing upright like a bush in open field edges. Chest high thickets are hard to keep from getting exposed.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks to Paul Harvey and the rest of the story. He talked about this 20 years ago. Once you get PI take Benadryl. I have a friend who has tried all kinds of OTC meds and this works better then everything. Give it a shot.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 am

cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 am

ghoasthunter wrote:cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home

I’ve tried to identify jewelweed but haven’t been able to do so. I’m not great at that stuff by surely it grows in Alabama

I get this stuff bad. Poison ivy is all over the swamps and I’ve resorted to ground hunting because of this. It’s so prevalent I can’t climb hardly anything.

Has anyone ever heard of Rhus Tox 30X. Supposedly you take it for a month or so before you go out in the woods and it prevents breakouts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home

I’ve tried to identify jewelweed but haven’t been able to do so. I’m not great at that stuff by surely it grows in Alabama

I get this stuff bad. Poison ivy is all over the swamps and I’ve resorted to ground hunting because of this. It’s so prevalent I can’t climb hardly anything.

Has anyone ever heard of Rhus Tox 30X. Supposedly you take it for a month or so before you go out in the woods and it prevents breakouts

its easy to figure it out you can find it growing in wet areas near poison ivy and stinging nettle it makes a orange pitcher looking flower or a yellow flower. all you do is rub the leaves on your open skin the oils in the plant neutralize the oils in the poison ivy. the biggest problem with poison ivy oil is that it does not wash off easy imagine the oil like black grease you get on your yourself working on a car. dawn dish soap and a wet rag wash from elbows down pay attention to the sensitive parts on arms and between fingers. another thing that might work and this is coming from my buddy whos a dairy farmer is drink raw milk from cows or goats that eat poison ivy.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 am

a good idea if you can is cut the vines in winter on trees you want too use and let them die over summer. you can still get it when its dormant so be carful

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”