FROM THE FIELD 2017 TURKEY SEASON

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: FROM THE FIELD 2017 TURKEY SEASON

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 am

Coulda!!!Woulda!!!!Shoulda!!!!

Had a "great" morning!!! Saw 4 different birds. 2 hens and a gobbler and jake.

Took my pills and hit the hay early last night. Woke up at 2AM debating whether I could get going. At 3AM I said to heck with my hot bath and eating and hurriedly got dressed and the gear in the car.

Made it to my spot just before I heard the first gobble. Since I'm not all that experienced I think I was set up about 150 yards from the roost. Took me a little bit to get completely ready, but was all set before I heard the first gobble on the ground. It got quiet turkey wise soon after that. The last gobbles were going away from me.

Between 8:30 and 9 I heard some yelping. Yelped back. Soon a hen showed in the grassy field on the public side. She ignored my calls and decoy and kept heading where she was going. 80 - 90 yards out.

Quite awhile later I heard more yelping. Then saw 3 birds 300 yards away. But in the field on public. They were right on the crest of a high spot. I lost sight of them and things got quiet again.

About 10:30 I heard more yelps. Soon I saw a hen. It looked similar to the first one and came from that way. Heading back where she originally came from. Only at about 50 yards this time.

Once she hit the woods my gut told me to move to where I could cover her route. It was 11:00. I stuck to the brush and trees. And finally found a spot I liked. A little farther from where she actually hit the woods but liked how it felt.

The grass was too high to get a clean shot so I grabbed a knife and started cutting. As I got out to the edge of the last lane I saw 3 birds heading my way. There was just enough of a knob to allow me to place my decoy just out in the shorter grass. It was 11:45.

Now comes the explanation of the 1st line:

I "coulda" killed the tom if I "woulda" had a shotgun!!!! I "shoulda" kept my decoy in my vest, because they spooked when they saw it. Not flat out just shied their way around it. Had the tom and jake at 30- 40 yards. The tom was more like 35.

Man that was fun. After walking out to the car. I was kinda glad I didn't also have to carry a bird!!!! ;) :lol:

Wrong button. :doh:

Do you experts think it's worth a try in the same area tomorrow? Use different calls, maybe pick a spot further down the fence row. In the direction they came from. Of course the decoy stays at home!!!!!! :lol:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 pm

burkhart wrote:Stash
welcome to turkey hunting. We all have had these coulda shoulda woulda moments. My advice would be to roost him tonight get in as tight as you can tomorrow. 100 yards or less, hit him at first light with some light tree calls and expect action the key this time of year is getting between him and the hens on the roost. sometimes you can sometimes they roost so tight together you cant.

other option would of been to scout where they were going after fly down ( dust, nest, food, water..etc) and ambush them as they move threw without much or any calling.

Good advice and wish I could do any or some of that. They roost on private and headed away from me into the private. Almost right in the landowner's backyard. If this is the same gobbler I heard on the roost they then headed across a private field that still has last years corn stubble in it. But I think that at least some of their pressure/hunter encounters occurred on private too. Some food plots on the private nearby also. Most all landowners hunt or let someone on already.

I'm pretty sure no one else has been setting up in the little slightly hidden corner of the public I'm on. They all stay in the big woods. on the public and sit foodplots on private. This same area should work for some doe hunts. I'm even thinking of sitting a day there during the late pre-rut early rut for bucks. It's just one of those gamey looking areas.

With my health issues I'm just nipping at the edges and corners. Where I've seen birds near the public. Even the larger pieces are pretty small by most everyone's standards.

I quit trying to get birds to shock gobble in the evenings. They seem wised up to it. Haven't got a response in a couple of weeks. Everyone I got was on private when I did get answers. I don't believe in using turkey calls to evening roost them. Don't want to wise them up to "my" calls. Too many guys driving around yelping and cutting out of vehicle windows.

It's kinda like commando turkey hunting. Only for the last 2 seasons (time slots), the last 2 weeks, most guys have given up. Despite 1000's of tags still available.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 pm

burkhart wrote:
stash59 wrote:
burkhart wrote:Stash
welcome to turkey hunting. We all have had these coulda shoulda woulda moments. My advice would be to roost him tonight get in as tight as you can tomorrow. 100 yards or less, hit him at first light with some light tree calls and expect action the key this time of year is getting between him and the hens on the roost. sometimes you can sometimes they roost so tight together you cant.

other option would of been to scout where they were going after fly down ( dust, nest, food, water..etc) and ambush them as they move threw without much or any calling.

Good advice and wish I could do any or some of that. They roost on private and headed away from me into the private. Almost right in the landowner's backyard. If this is the same gobbler I heard on the roost they then headed across a private field that still has last years corn stubble in it. But I think that at least some of their pressure/hunter encounters occurred on private too. Some food plots on the private nearby also. Most all landowners hunt or let someone on already.

I'm pretty sure no one else has been setting up in the little slightly hidden corner of the public I'm on. They all stay in the big woods. on the public and sit foodplots on private. This same area should work for some doe hunts. I'm even thinking of sitting a day there during the late pre-rut early rut for bucks. It's just one of those gamey looking areas.

With my health issues I'm just nipping at the edges and corners. Where I've seen birds near the public. Even the larger pieces are pretty small by most everyone's standards.

I quit trying to get birds to shock gobble in the evenings. They seem wised up to it. Haven't got a response in a couple of weeks. Everyone I got was on private when I did get answers. I don't believe in using turkey calls to evening roost them. Don't want to wise them up to "my" calls. Too many guys driving around yelping and cutting out of vehicle windows.

It's kinda like commando turkey hunting. Only for the last 2 seasons (time slots), the last 2 weeks, most guys have given up. Despite 1000's of tags still available.

Try a dog whistle. For a shock gobble. Also if you can find on the public where they are gathering then hunt there again light calling mainly clucks and purrs

Thanx burk!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Good hunt Stash. Sounds like you had a fun day. Good to hear you made it out. 8-)
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon May 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Sounds like an awesome hunt chuck. I am sitting in the woods right now listening for gobbles. First light was supposed to be 4:54 but it seemed to be already getting light out around 430. So much earlier than just a month ago.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 am

hunter_mike wrote:Sounds like an awesome hunt chuck. I am sitting in the woods right now listening for gobbles. First light was supposed to be 4:54 but it seemed to be already getting light out around 430. So much earlier than just a month ago.

Good luck!! Or are you headed to work by now? If so how'd it go?

My brain just couldn't wake up this morning so I shut off the alarm and got some more needed sleep. Things are still a little foggy in there!!! :doh: :lol:

Got some chores that "really" need some attention, but hope to get out for an afternoon hunt.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue May 23, 2017 4:24 am

I had to be back at the truck by 730 so its a short but totally worth it hunt. I was back at the site of my kill from earlier this spring. Not a peep out of that whole hillside but i did go for a walk and located some gobbles down in a swampy area. Hopefully i can make it out for a little early morning swim tomorrow.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 am

Going to get out here shortly. I have one tag left and need to fill it by Friday morning! :twisted:
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Got out for an afternoon evening hunt, Nothing going on. Did find a great vantage point to watch some private fields. With enough of a hump to it that I can make a quick move should something be heading towards the public. If I see stuff that stays out aways at least I may see some patterns. Especially if they head across the road to another public piece. Should all help toward next year too.

Tried coyote howling in a couple spots 20 to 30 minutes after sundown. Nothing. They ripped it up to real coyote howls Sunday morning.

Are you done tomorrow Mike or do you have a tag for F/last season too?

Burk you mentioned a dog whistle. You talking about the high frequency ones humans can't hear or the ones the bird hunters use?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 pm

I have one more week chuck. I may get out a few more times.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:05 am

hunter_mike wrote:I have one more week chuck. I may get out a few more times.
8-)

Gotta love those left over tags.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 am

burkhart wrote:
stash59 wrote:Got out for an afternoon evening hunt, Nothing going on. Did find a great vantage point to watch some private fields. With enough of a hump to it that I can make a quick move should something be heading towards the public. If I see stuff that stays out aways at least I may see some patterns. Especially if they head across the road to another public piece. Should all help toward next year too.

Tried coyote howling in a couple spots 20 to 30 minutes after sundown. Nothing. They ripped it up to real coyote howls Sunday morning.

Burk you mentioned a dog whistle. You talking about the high frequency ones humans can't hear or the ones the bird hunters use?

Correct high freq.

Burk... you serious?! :lol:

Dad bought into that and has one in his vest from many moons ago. It was always a joke to blow that sucker after the birds had stopped gobbling when I was a kid.

It never worked...maybe he had a dud :lol:
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 am

burkhart wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
burkhart wrote:
stash59 wrote:Got out for an afternoon evening hunt, Nothing going on. Did find a great vantage point to watch some private fields. With enough of a hump to it that I can make a quick move should something be heading towards the public. If I see stuff that stays out aways at least I may see some patterns. Especially if they head across the road to another public piece. Should all help toward next year too.

Correct high freq.

Burk... you serious?! :lol:

Dad bought into that and has one in his vest from many moons ago. It was always a joke to blow that sucker after the birds had stopped gobbling when I was a kid.

It never worked...maybe he had a dud :lol:

of course I am.
alot of my hunting buddies used to laugh at the use of a gobble shaker too. another tool I used to shock gobble and actually call in birds with. as with most things its all in what you Believe works

I'm a fan of a gobble shaker as well.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 am

I just ordered one. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

So what are the tricks to getting it to work? Any special way to blow it burk?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 am

A couple weeks ago at my house there were some bald eagles flying around making a bunch of noise. I was surprised, the turkeys in my neighbors backyard were gobbling their heads off at it. Go on youtube and listen to bald eagle vocalization. I bet you could replicate that with a dog whistle

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”