Well I drew Kansas unit 8

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


mainebowhunter
500 Club
Posts: 3159
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby mainebowhunter » Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 pm

thwack16 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:First time I have not gotten drawn. Stinks. But its all part of DIY hunting. Time for plan B.

Is there not a good chance of getting a leftover tag? I know one guy that has gotten one for a few years in a row.


Not really. Its getting tougher and tougher.


mainebowhunter
500 Club
Posts: 3159
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby mainebowhunter » Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm

timberwolf311 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:First time I have not gotten drawn. Stinks. But its all part of DIY hunting. Time for plan B.


Not asking incase it's private but did you ever say what Unit you were in last year? Pretty sure I remember following your live thread.


You drew a tag in it. :D
swampyak
500 Club
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 pm
Location: Northern MN
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby swampyak » Sat May 27, 2017 1:09 am

Congrats
hammer
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:21 am
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby hammer » Sat May 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Good luck Twolf!
I also drew my first ever Kansas tag and am definitely looking forward to it. I have a question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. I drew in unit 7 with "additional unit 8". Am I able to hunt both units 7 and 8?
timberwolf311
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:31 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby timberwolf311 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Wish I could help hammer but I have no idea
mainebowhunter
500 Club
Posts: 3159
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby mainebowhunter » Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 am

hammer wrote:Good luck Twolf!
I also drew my first ever Kansas tag and am definitely looking forward to it. I have a question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. I drew in unit 7 with "additional unit 8". Am I able to hunt both units 7 and 8?


Yes you can hunt both units
blizzardhunter
500 Club
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: Murray, KY
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby blizzardhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm looking at going to hunt units 8 and 9 next year. I've heard drawing an archery tag isn't hard. A good buddy of mine owns 160 acres in unit 8. He started hunting public up there then ended up buying a farm. His best buck was from public up there. 206". He said the bucks up there are unbelievable.
User avatar
PeteD
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 am
Location: WI & others!
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby PeteD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:21 am

I use to buy leftover tags which allowed be to see what else I drew in other states before commiting. Leftovers have gone by the wayside, maybe due to the crossbow allowance. Therefore, I needed to apply this year as there where no leftovers last year for the first time.

First two weeks of November will have a big influx of NR's. Public is still decent, but I would work on private access preferably before you get there.
flintlocker
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby flintlocker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 am

Have archery hunted 8/9 for the last 4 years. The area is still rebounding from concurrent years of EHD taking a toll on the population.
timberwolf311
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:31 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby timberwolf311 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:59 pm

How long ago was the last big kill from disease in that area? I am going to try to have a live thread here this year while in Kansas.
flintlocker
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby flintlocker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:05 am

EHD hit 2013 & 2014.
Found out last night that KS really reduced the number of tags available this year. Property owner I hunt at said some of the other guys that usually hunt did not draw this year. I will count myself in as one of the lucky ones.
User avatar
Vtbowhunter3
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:31 am
Location: Vt
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby Vtbowhunter3 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:32 am

flintlocker wrote:EHD hit 2013 & 2014.
Found out last night that KS really reduced the number of tags available this year. Property owner I hunt at said some of the other guys that usually hunt did not draw this year. I will count myself in as one of the lucky ones.

2012 was the year EHD really hit hard. Not all areas of 8 and 9 were affected though. Non resident tag numbers were the same for 2017 as they were 2016, and there was actually a few more leftovers this year. They haven't released the pdf file with the breakdown by unit number yet though.
flintlocker
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am
Status: Offline

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Postby flintlocker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:39 am

Vtbowhunter3 wrote:
flintlocker wrote:EHD hit 2013 & 2014.
Found out last night that KS really reduced the number of tags available this year. Property owner I hunt at said some of the other guys that usually hunt did not draw this year. I will count myself in as one of the lucky ones.

2012 was the year EHD really hit hard. Not all areas of 8 and 9 were affected though. Non resident tag numbers were the same for 2017 as they were 2016, and there was actually a few more leftovers this year. They haven't released the pdf file with the breakdown by unit number yet though.


Yeah, 2013 was the first year I hunted there so a 2012 makes sense too.

Interesting on the NR info. Contradicts what I have been told by the landowner in KS. idk

Return to “Public Land Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rbuckleyjr1 and 1 guest