Crusher

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dressedtokill

Crusher

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 am

Hey guys and gals new to the site Lots of good info on here that I've seen so far. Need some reviews on the scent crusher bags. Looking at getting one for the 2017 season. If any of y'all have used one let me know your pros and cons or do or don't buy. Thanks J :violin:

" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Crusher

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 am

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 am

Thanks!
" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 am

I think scent crusher & other scent elimination products are a waste of money.

Just hunt with the wind in your favor !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 am

I agree with hunting the wind 100%. But if there is something that can help keep my hunting gear from getting contaminated while I'm not using it I'm for it! I use a old scentloc bag now. How do you keep your gear clean?
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 am

In between hunts?
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 am

Welcome to the beast!

I have a few totes and a duffle bag that I keep hunting clothes in during off season. Before the season I pull out my warm weather bow hunting gear and wash it in scent free detergent then hang it strait from washing machine in a closet with ozone running on it. Yeah I also have cut cedar branches into sections and put them in With my clothes.

By muzzleloader and gun season I do even less, I usually only wash my hunting clothes when needed and if I'm out of scent free detergent I use just water or baking soda in washing machine. If I'm in a pinch and don't have time for them to drip dry I will put them in the drier.

That's about it for lowering my scent on clothes. I think deer smell your breath more than they do your skin and clothes. I usually start off every bow season trying to be as low scent as possible playing the wind is best bet.

I can't justify spending money on making my clothes scent free.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 am

Welcome!

You'll find A LOT of guys on here don't even wash their clothes from the previous season and still put down mature deer every year. Heck some hunt in blue jeans and army camo.

100% play the wind and access! In and out!

I also think if you want invest in scent control in whatever form to try and put even the slightest odds in your favor go for it! It can't hurt but it's not 100% either.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 am

tbunao wrote:Welcome!

You'll find A LOT of guys on here don't even wash their clothes from the previous season and still put down mature deer every year. Heck some hunt in blue jeans and army camo.

100% play the wind and access! In and out!

I also think if you want invest in scent control in whatever form to try and put even the slightest odds in your favor go for it! It can't hurt but it's not 100% either.

x2

I find I enjoy the hunt a lot more when I do nothing for scent control. And I mean nothing. I wreaked when I shot both my deer last year.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 am

Dressedtokill wrote:Hey guys and gals new to the site Lots of good info on here that I've seen so far. Need some reviews on the scent crusher bags. Looking at getting one for the 2017 season. If any of y'all have used one let me know your pros and cons or do or don't buy. Thanks J :violin:

Welcome! I used a scent crusher bag while hunting elk in Arizona last year. We didn't bring it along to eliminate scent for hunting purposes though. We only had a couple pairs of camo clothes for a two week hunt and needed some way to keep them clean, otherwise the tent would have smelled like a gym locker by day 4 :lol:

In that regard, the bag worked well. We'd put our clothes in it after a hunt and run it for 20 minutes or so off the cigarette lighter in the truck. Then hang them up for a few hours on a clothes line. The ozone kills the bacteria that creates the stench so we were able to use the bag to keep our clothes somewhat clean for a two week hunt.

As far as fooling deer from a hunting standpoint, it's not going to happen IMO. Milkweed as a wind checker is the best scent control you'll find.

You'll find that the best whitetail hunters in the world live on this site and they are all willing to help one another. As the guys said above, many of them kill huge bucks on heavily pressured public land in jeans and work boots. They turn their focus to understanding wind/thermals and how deer react to them.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 am

Throw mine in the back of the car!!!! Along with piles of other junk!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 am

Guy from work bought one but his work boots in it and believe it or not it masked the smell.. but I'd still play the wind
Dressedtokill

Unread postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 am

AaronMW wrote:
Dressedtokill wrote:Hey guys and gals new to the site Lots of good info on here that I've seen so far. Need some reviews on the scent crusher bags. Looking at getting one for the 2017 season. If any of y'all have used one let me know your pros and cons or do or don't buy. Thanks J :violin:

Welcome! I used a scent crusher bag while hunting elk in Arizona last year. We didn't bring it along to eliminate scent for hunting purposes though. We only had a couple pairs of camo clothes for a two week hunt and needed some way to keep them clean, otherwise the tent would have smelled like a gym locker by day 4 :lol:

In that regard, the bag worked well. We'd put our clothes in it after a hunt and run it for 20 minutes or so off the cigarette lighter in the truck. Then hang them up for a few hours on a clothes line. The ozone kills the bacteria that creates the stench so we were able to use the bag to keep our clothes somewhat clean for a two week hunt.

As far as fooling deer from a hunting standpoint, it's not going to happen IMO. Milkweed as a wind checker is the best scent control you'll find.

You'll find that the best whitetail hunters in the world live on this site and they are all willing to help one another. As the guys said above, many of them kill huge bucks on heavily pressured public land in jeans and work boots. They turn their focus to understanding wind/thermals and how deer react to them.

When you say milkweed as a wind checker are you using the flower?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 am

Dressedtokill wrote:
AaronMW wrote:

When you say milkweed as a wind checker are you using the flower?

Milkweed pods. In the fall when they are about to open you can collect the the white feather like things. When you are scouting and hunting you use them like those dudes use that powder stuff. Except milkweed you can see what's going on 20,30 or even 40 yards away unlike that powder that you can only see what going on around you. Thank you Mother Nature
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 am

Dressedtokill wrote:I agree with hunting the wind 100%. But if there is something that can help keep my hunting gear from getting contaminated while I'm not using it I'm for it! I use a old scentloc bag now. How do you keep your gear clean?

I have a plastic tote I throw a handful of leaves in. My stuff stays in there most of the season. If it gets wet I hang it up on some tree branches til it's dry. I usually wash it once before the season. And maybe once in the middle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”