Used Hops as bear bait??

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Used Hops as bear bait??

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am

Anyone ever used the hops from a brewery as bear bait? Seems like it'd be a good filler?

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Re: Used Hops as bear bait??

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm

cedarsavage wrote:Anyone ever used the hops from a brewery as bear bait? Seems like it'd be a good filler?

Are you a home brewer? I've never done this but I'm sure it would be ok because they're doused in a sweet liquor from the boiling process . Depending on how strong the beer will be you will have anywhere from 1.050 (apple juice) to 1.120 (very sweet grape juice) sugar content in that liquor.

You should try and get a hold of the spent grains too. It probably only has a 3-5 day life until it sours, but there's still a lot of good stuff left in those grains. I like to throw them in my breads. They will be heavy though.

They are unlikely to eat the hop flowers because they're kind of tough and they'll be bitter but I bet they'll sit on top of the pile and lick in between all those petals in the hop cone until they've got all the sugar out. If I was a bear I'd be all over that. :lol:
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm

I used a few thousand pounds last year. I mixed it in as a filler to try it. They ate it all. Whatever that's worth.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Spent grains as well work. Deer eat them to.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 am

Thanks guys I'll try to get ahold of some if I get drawn
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:19 am

This years crop.
BenVW
Facebook: www.facebook.com/massasaugaoutdoors

Unread postby BenVW » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:47 am

Used the actual hops? Or the grains and malt? normally there aren't that many hops in a batch , but lots of Barely and Oats depending on what is being brewed. It does smell really good though. i have a buddy who brews and I may take some of the barley and grains after it's been drained. The hops are extremely bitter.. trust me I tried eating a hops pellet before lol ..
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 am

csoult wrote:This years crop.

8-)

What variety?
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:19 am

BenVW wrote:Used the actual hops? Or the grains and malt? normally there aren't that many hops in a batch , but lots of Barely and Oats depending on what is being brewed. It does smell really good though. i have a buddy who brews and I may take some of the barley and grains after it's been drained. The hops are extremely bitter.. trust me I tried eating a hops pellet before lol ..

For a home brewer, not much hops maybe 5 lbs for a 10 gallon batch of IPA after the boil (cause they're wet). But a brewery can go through quite a bit depending on production.
BenVW
Facebook: www.facebook.com/massasaugaoutdoors

Unread postby BenVW » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:
BenVW wrote:Used the actual hops? Or the grains and malt? normally there aren't that many hops in a batch , but lots of Barely and Oats depending on what is being brewed. It does smell really good though. i have a buddy who brews and I may take some of the barley and grains after it's been drained. The hops are extremely bitter.. trust me I tried eating a hops pellet before lol ..

For a home brewer, not much hops maybe 5 lbs for a 10 gallon batch of IPA after the boil (cause they're wet). But a brewery can go through quite a bit depending on production.

Ok cool, when I did a little homebrewing we used the pellet type of hops which are probably more concentrated, and only used a few ounces i think.
Good info, I am going to have to get my buddy to brew a few more batches of brew.. for Bear bait of course ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”