Well I drew Kansas unit 8

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Re: Well I drew Kansas unit 8

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm looking at going to hunt units 8 and 9 next year. I've heard drawing an archery tag isn't hard. A good buddy of mine owns 160 acres in unit 8. He started hunting public up there then ended up buying a farm. His best buck was from public up there. 206". He said the bucks up there are unbelievable.

PeteD

Unread postby PeteD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 am

I use to buy leftover tags which allowed be to see what else I drew in other states before commiting. Leftovers have gone by the wayside, maybe due to the crossbow allowance. Therefore, I needed to apply this year as there where no leftovers last year for the first time.

First two weeks of November will have a big influx of NR's. Public is still decent, but I would work on private access preferably before you get there.
flintlocker

Unread postby flintlocker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:36 am

Have archery hunted 8/9 for the last 4 years. The area is still rebounding from concurrent years of EHD taking a toll on the population.
flintlocker

Unread postby flintlocker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:05 am

EHD hit 2013 & 2014.
Found out last night that KS really reduced the number of tags available this year. Property owner I hunt at said some of the other guys that usually hunt did not draw this year. I will count myself in as one of the lucky ones.
Vtbowhunter3

Unread postby Vtbowhunter3 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:32 am

flintlocker wrote:EHD hit 2013 & 2014.
Found out last night that KS really reduced the number of tags available this year. Property owner I hunt at said some of the other guys that usually hunt did not draw this year. I will count myself in as one of the lucky ones.

2012 was the year EHD really hit hard. Not all areas of 8 and 9 were affected though. Non resident tag numbers were the same for 2017 as they were 2016, and there was actually a few more leftovers this year. They haven't released the pdf file with the breakdown by unit number yet though.
flintlocker

Unread postby flintlocker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Vtbowhunter3 wrote:
flintlocker wrote:EHD hit 2013 & 2014.

2012 was the year EHD really hit hard. Not all areas of 8 and 9 were affected though. Non resident tag numbers were the same for 2017 as they were 2016, and there was actually a few more leftovers this year. They haven't released the pdf file with the breakdown by unit number yet though.

Yeah, 2013 was the first year I hunted there so a 2012 makes sense too.

Interesting on the NR info. Contradicts what I have been told by the landowner in KS. idk

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”