Need some help with my spot

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntzilla

Need some help with my spot

Unread postby Huntzilla » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:16 am

So I stomped around this place from February to march before I went to fire a academy. It's landlocked by private land on one side and a lake on the other so there's not much hunting pressure. At the time I wasn't familiar with Dan and the hunting of buck beds thang so I wasn't paying attention them. I was more attracted to the big rubs and common deer sign normal hunters look for. Anywho, I got some nice trail cam photos and I know the big bucks are in here.

I'll be putting out trail cams Tuesday and wanted some input on where I should be looking for buck bedding areas. The blue circle is a waterhole and I'll send more pics if they don't show up very good. The green circle is a swampy area with a ton of deer sign. Looks to be like a doe bedding area with a ton of trails, beds, and rubs. The red circle is a place that I located a bed and I'm pretty convinced is making some large rubs in the area. I'm probably more excited about the red circle than anything. After watching hill country bucks I was able to recognize and make sense out of some of the stuff I saw. Anyway, I'm going back Tuesday and just wanted some pointers scouting and trail cam wise.

Large rub near the red circle (buck bed)

The doe bedding area (green circle) with a lot of rubs and trails.

The water hole

Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram
Ol'DominionBH

Re: Need some help with my spot

Unread postby Ol'DominionBH » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am

First figure out the prevailing wind during your hunting season. Example, in the mid/south eastern US, the wind comes out of the NW Sept-Nov). Then on your topo find the leeward side of ridges. This is the side that is sheltered by the predominate wind. Dans advice is to walk the ridge 1/3 or 1/4 down from the top and look for beds. Look for areas of thicker cover, down trees, etc. Also on points at that same elevation line were the wind is moving in the direction of the point coming off the top. Bucks/deer will have their backs to the wind smelling whats behind them and looking at whats below on both sides of the point. Deer will not be bedding in the gullies, which from the topo looks like there's a lot of them. Hope this is a start for you.
Huntzilla

Unread postby Huntzilla » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 am

Well I went out there yesterday. Got off to a rocky/behind schedule kinda start but made the long drive to the woods. Took ab an hour to kayak back to this spot I found back in the spring. I tried getting up on the upper 1/3 part of the ridges but due to time constraints (my daughter had her championship game) I didn't have enough time to try to find buck beds.

Anyway, I was able to put out 2 trail cameras. My main purpose for going out there was just trying to take an inventory of what's around the area. If could get any data as far as patterning the deer that would also be an added bonus. So I was mainly looking for hubs of trails. I'll send some pics later but I found some good sized tracks (3 finger rule shrugs like I've heard Dan talk about). Also found more ginormous rubs near the bases of the ridges and large droppings. I'll upload some pics later but I'm at the fire station now and our firewall won't let me use Photobucket... I found a bed in there last year so I was kinda disappointed that I didn't find one this time around.

Anyway I put a camera near the area of the red circle. In the process I jumped a deer (couldn't tell what it was) that was in that bottom near that red circled ridge area. Really threw me off cuz I thought they bed 1/3 the tops of ridges and what not. But whatever coulda been a doe. I put another one up ab 100yds south of that area. The area is the most southern waypoint/picture on that map. Just the way the ditches are right there it seems to create some traffic in that area. Not going to check my cameras til right before my vacation august 5. I still have 6 more to put out so wish me luck!
Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram
Huntzilla

Unread postby Huntzilla » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am

Ol'DominionBH wrote:First figure out the prevailing wind during your hunting season. Example, in the mid/south eastern US, the wind comes out of the NW Sept-Nov). Then on your topo find the leeward side of ridges. This is the side that is sheltered by the predominate wind. Dans advice is to walk the ridge 1/3 or 1/4 down from the top and look for beds. Look for areas of thicker cover, down trees, etc. Also on points at that same elevation line were the wind is moving in the direction of the point coming off the top. Bucks/deer will have their backs to the wind smelling whats behind them and looking at whats below on both sides of the point. Deer will not be bedding in the gullies, which from the topo looks like there's a lot of them. Hope this is a start for you.

Yeah man dans videos have really opened up my eyes. About to order hill country bedding here shortly. Still I just had a hard time actually finding beds. It's my fault. I didn't have time to really look for them. Most of my time was spent traveling in the truck and kayaking. So when I go back I'll have to give myself a bigger window to find all this.

Do you have any pointers on finding any? Are they still bedding around old rubs? I know the ways to tell if it's a buck is if it's isolated, has large tracks around it, and maybe have a single rub nearby. I guess after I watched all these videos I thought I'd walk in there and be a buck bed finding Bucky buckmiester person man. But I was extremely humbled to say the least lol any pointers are welcome!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”