Episode #12 - Tracking Whitetails with Todd Havel

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Episode #12 - Tracking Whitetails with Todd Havel

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 am

Well I just finished the podcast. Took me two commutes back and forth driving to work. Great job Magic and Mario. Top notch for sure.

After listening I wanted to touch on one subject that you didn't mention.....after the kill. I assume you hunt solo most of the time so wondering what is your best method for getting bucks out after a very long tracking job? How long was your longest drag? Do you go back to your truck and get a sled, just tie a rope on and start dragging or use other methods like packing out in quarters where allowed? I can't imagine dragging a 200 lb+ dressed buck 5-6 miles or more solo. Obviously snow makes it so much easier but still a huge task for us older guys. I remember Larry Benoit wrapping a simple rope around his belt, removing it and used only that rope to drag a big buck out in one trip sometimes 5 miles or more. He is way more hardcore than me. :o

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Dewey wrote:Well I just finished the podcast. Took me two commutes back and forth driving to work. Great job Magic and Mario. Top notch for sure.

After listening I wanted to touch on one subject that you didn't mention.....after the kill. I assume you hunt solo most of the time so wondering what is your best method for getting bucks out after a very long tracking job? How long was your longest drag? Do you go back to your truck and get a sled, just tie a rope on and start dragging or use other methods like packing out in quarters where allowed? I can't imagine dragging a 200 lb+ dressed buck 5-6 miles or more solo. Obviously snow makes it so much easier but still a huge task for us older guys. I remember Larry Benoit wrapping a simple rope around his belt, removing it and used only that rope to drag a big buck out in one trip sometimes 5 miles or more. He is way more hardcore than me. :o

depending on the terrain i might drag them, sled them or cart them. i havent cut one up yet but would if it seemed like the best method. my longest drsg ever was 1 mile according to my gps. i drug one 1/4 mile then carted it 3/4 mile as well.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 26, 2017 1:46 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Well I just finished the podcast. Took me two commutes back and forth driving to work. Great job Magic and Mario. Top notch for sure.

depending on the terrain i might drag them, sled them or cart them. i havent cut one up yet but would if it seemed like the best method. my longest drsg ever was 1 mile according to my gps. i drug one 1/4 mile then carted it 3/4 mile as well.

Thanks Magic. Sounds like your drags have been pretty reasonable. Thought maybe you experienced one of the super long drags. I have bowhunted spots that are at least three miles one way and that really makes you up your standards for rack size no doubt. Anything less than 160" is walking. :lol:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat May 27, 2017 3:27 am

Fun podcast. Like sitting listening to my buddy who loves to still hunt. They are 100% mountain hunters. They have shot bucks out of there beds on side of the mountain. They chase them round and round. They know where the buck will go when they bump him, they run back around to cut them off.

Very similar to how many guys hunt here in Maine. Most hunting forums that are New England based, this is the most talked about method of hunting.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks Magic and Mario, you just made a long drive fly by. We don't have any snow down here in South Louisiana, but lotsa rain and mud might work in late season when everything is dormant. What do you think? I've tried to follow tracks many times but quickly gave up when it got tough. What I've never really done was wait for ideal conditions. Sounds like a of an adventure, tell me it's possible....
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:13 am

Killemquietly wrote:Thanks Magic and Mario, you just made a long drive fly by. We don't have any snow down here in South Louisiana, but lotsa rain and mud might work in late season when everything is dormant. What do you think? I've tried to follow tracks many times but quickly gave up when it got tough. What I've never really done was wait for ideal conditions. Sounds like a of an adventure, tell me it's possible....

You won't learn/know until you try!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sun May 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Todd thx for sharing such a wealth of information on this podcast...you should come track up north to ontario you would love it up here
One thing I really appreciate is your positive attitude it really shined thru in the podcast and think that's an important aspect of being a good hunter.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Just finished up listening the last leg, took me a couple of days.

A lot of good secret info in here, good job Todd.

My question is, are you ever going to help me finish tracking a Hodag?
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Just a great podcast. It took awhile for me to listen to it all. Maybe someday I will take this up. Sounds addictive
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 am

This podcast is pure gold. A huge amount of deer hunting knowledge in it!

Guys, this isn't just about tracking deer. So much of it is relevant to all hunters. A ton of the information is applicable to what you see scouting and just understanding how deer move in general.

Like track age - that can tell you what part of the day/night a buck came through a spot. How a buck beds is always important. Using your nose, you can smell a lot more while hunting than you would guess and just acting like a predator. I could just go on down the list. Thanks for doing this Todd and Mario, it was awesome!

This is one of very few podcasts I would listen to repeatedly....
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 am

Just like Joe and others have mentioned, this podcast had tremendous value to hunters as I knew it would. I remember years ago when Todd mentioned that he has had mature Bucks TRACK HIM just like my brother and I have. That day I recognized that Todd has also spent a lifetime in the woods.

GJ Todd!!
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 am

Nice Job Todd & Mario - Really enjoy listening to the stories and wisdom that can be passed on from many years experience.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

Really enjoyed the podcast. Thanks to Magic and Mario!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 pm

I thought it was a good podcast as well!! Great job :clap:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Jwalters

Unread postby Jwalters » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:34 am

Great podcast ! I have said for years i can smell a buck and I have witnesses to prove It! I smelt them from a hundred yards or more they really stink when it's the rut I'm sure glad you said that as your the first one other then my self that I've heard say something about it. Thanks Mario and you Magic for taking the time to do the podcast!
I like big bucks an can not lie :dance:

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”