Drone Usage?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ladykiller

Drone Usage?

Unread postby Ladykiller » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Just curious if anyone has used a drone to see if a buck was in his bed or not? If a buck was possibly bedded in a swamp or CRP and you did not want to waste a hunt if you did not know he was in his bed or not, this could be pretty useful. No buck ... move on. Spot the buck ... then hunt. The drones fly high enough to probably not spook the deer.

I know, I know ... takes the fun out of hunting, might be against the law in your state, etc ... just a thought.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Drone Usage?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm

I use the drone for scouting purposes. Where it shines is when the property u r hunting backs up to another u don't have permission to be and u wanna see what's going on over there. Example: u might think u found a killer spot close to property line but when u fly over with drone u notice stands right on the other side of fence. Most game animals tend to run like wind when it flies over so don't think it would do much good for what u r refering to.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 pm

I think it would spook deer unless you flew it really high. You'd probably tip the buck off and he'd stay in his bed till after dark. Luckily a lot of states were ahead of the drones popularity and made them illegal already.

I could see this getting really ugly if done on public lands.
Now a cell cam is a different story...but like you said it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Disclaimer: I personally would not do this.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 am

I was considering hiring a drone operator in the offseason to get some aerial photos of a couple area's I like to hunt.I never followed thru due to fairly good satelite images.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 am

Not for me. I hope the day never comes where guys are standing in the public land parking lot all flying there drones around looking for deer from their truck seat.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 am

What you described is definately cheating in my book!!! Drones shouldn't be allowed during hunting seasons. Same as no hunting same day as flying rules for Alaska and some of Canada.

Personally I'm not a fan of the new cell cams either. But to each his own.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 am

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:19 am

stash59 wrote:What you described is definately cheating in my book!!! Drones shouldn't be allowed during hunting seasons. Same as no hunting same day as flying rules for Alaska and some of Canada.

+1.

"Our tools for the pursuit of wildlife improve faster than we do, and sportsmanship is a voluntary limitation in the use of those armaments"- Aldo Leopold
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:28 am

I've thought about this exact thing. It would be very helpful, but I think it would take the sport out of it for me. Hope it doesn't become a mainstream practice.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:49 am

stash59 wrote:What you described is definately cheating in my book!!! Drones shouldn't be allowed during hunting seasons. Same as no hunting same day as flying rules for Alaska and some of Canada.

I agree. Always said if I see one hovering above ruining my hunt it will get shot at.

As far as cell cams go it's a fine line and I feel a little different. I realize some will abuse them just like anything else. If you are using them for same day intel to set up on a buck bedded near the camera that is wrong. If you are using them just to collect long term intel with the convenience of not having to check them all the time I don't believe that is cheating anymore than running multiple regular cams. Cheaters will always cheat. That's why we have so many laws to control stuff like that. Can't trust people just using their better judgement.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:15 am

I have no problems with drones. Actually, if I had the money laying around I would love to get one. Hate that it takes google maps 5 years to update where I hunt. Would be great to get aerials in the fall. However, I have to draw the line somewhere. And I would compare it to the rule with shining. You can't do it if you have a weapon in your possession or in your vehicle. Shining is legal, but if your bow or gun is along for the ride, the assumption is you are poaching. Personally, I think drones should be the same. Okay until you have a weapon on you. Then its not.

Cell cams I am not a fan of one bit. Just my preference
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am

Jonny wrote:I have no problems with drones. Actually, if I had the money laying around I would love to get one. Hate that it takes google maps 5 years to update where I hunt. Would be great to get aerials in the fall. However, I have to draw the line somewhere. And I would compare it to the rule with shining. You can't do it if you have a weapon in your possession or in your vehicle. Shining is legal, but if your bow or gun is along for the ride, the assumption is you are poaching. Personally, I think drones should be the same. Okay until you have a weapon on you. Then its not.

No need to buy one. I don't have that kind of cash lying around. Ask around a lot of high school kids have them and just like to fly. Who knows u might bring in a new youth hunter. I asked around and found a kid and gave him 20$ and lunch and combed the whole county
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Jonny wrote:I have no problems with drones. Actually, if I had the money laying around I would love to get one. Hate that it takes google maps 5 years to update where I hunt. Would be great to get aerials in the fall. However, I have to draw the line somewhere. And I would compare it to the rule with shining. You can't do it if you have a weapon in your possession or in your vehicle. Shining is legal, but if your bow or gun is along for the ride, the assumption is you are poaching. Personally, I think drones should be the same. Okay until you have a weapon on you. Then its not.

No need to buy one. I don't have that kind of cash lying around. Ask around a lot of high school kids have them and just like to fly. Who knows u might bring in a new youth hunter. I asked around and found a kid and gave him 20$ and lunch and combed the whole county

I would but I don't like my odds when the vast majority of the locals are amish :lol: If they have drones then I am really going to have to reconsider my financial status
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 am

;) deff not Bueno, maybe a drive by shooting out the back of wagon
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”