2017 SCOUTING REPORTS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: 2017 SCOUTING REPORTS

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:01 am

Pulled a couple of cameras yesterday, the acorns are raining down hard in hill country.

Did a speed scout and found a high bench in thick cover, marked a couple of trees. I expect it to be a good travel route.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Took a drive early this afternoon. Saw a couple spot where acorns were dropping on the roads. Picked a few milkweed pods.

Then talked Lil' Bro' into driving to a new to us public area. One spot I was hoping to workout for me was a bust. But some other stuff still looks interesting. Have to see if I go in blind this year or wait til post season/spring. Still need alot of healing.

Shined a little on the way home. Pretty dead. Thinking alot of deer are hitting the oaks.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Took about a half mile kayak trip to an out of the way spot I've been eyeing for a while. Pulled the kayak up past the buck brush on the bank and immediately found some good old rubs. Moving further north found a good heavy trail paralleling the base of the ridge running east and west. Scanning the south facing portion for beds was pretty scarce which I figured would be the case this late into summer. The top of the ridge was super thick though so I know the does are/will be in there closer to season. Did kick up one doe and a fawn. Lots of wild plums dropping in this area and the deer and pigs have been making short work of them. My main goal was to get a trail cam in there to soak all season for intel. Spot looks pretty promising for pre rut buck travel or to scout with stand on my back til I run across some action during the peak. Not sure there is enough hunting pressure in this area to stack the deer in here but I'm still optimistic with the sign I found.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:07 am

https://s26.postimg.org/4i7ploqg9/bed_b ... 26.postimg. org/723cfse09/bed_closeup.pnghttps://s26.postimg.org/ys4iugs89/the_view.png
Went back to a place I was in in Mar. where I found big buck sign but no bed. I was doing a quick walk thru and seen this downed tree...had to investigate. Sure enough :D . First pic is the overall, and 2nd and third are the bed, and fourth is his view.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 am

Sorry...I really messed that up, I'll try again :o
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 am

https://s26.postimg.org/4i7ploqg9/bed_b ... e_view.png
Never tried multiple pics in postimage before...hpoe this works
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:41 am

creepingdeth wrote:https://s26.postimg.org/4i7ploqg9/bed_back.pnghttps://s26.postimg.org/723cfse09/be ... e_view.png

Copy and paste the "hot link for forums" link
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 am

https://s26.postimg.org/723cfse09/bed_closeup.png
If this goes thru, its at least a pic of the bed
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:11 am

Did this work??
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 am

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 am

creepingdeth wrote:Image
Did this work??

Nice find! :dance:
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 am

Lockdown wrote:
creepingdeth wrote:https://s26.postimg.org/4i7ploqg9/bed_back.pnghttps://s26.postimg.org/723cfse09/be ... e_view.png

Copy and paste the "hot link for forums" link

Tried the "hot links...", got the pic up but when you click on it , it sends you to postimage...not sure why the previous try would click to mini pic...I struggle w/tech. All my previous posts worked...go figure. I hope you are ready for the opener Lock...I may get up that aways 2nd or 3rd weekend w/bow just to poke around and check out some gun spots...good luck and hunt safe :handgestures-thumbup:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 am

I have a pretty cool scouting mission planned for this weekend. My parents have moved about an hour from where they used to live and now my dad wants to find some new places to hunt. I have been doing some map scouting and have a good idea of spots we can look at. The goal is just to get him into an area that holds deer consistently. He just wants to get some meat. Should be a lot of fun just checking out some new places in some terrain that is kind of different than what i am used to.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:11 am

hunter_mike wrote:I have a pretty cool scouting mission planned for this weekend. My parents have moved about an hour from where they used to live and now my dad wants to find some new places to hunt. I have been doing some map scouting and have a good idea of spots we can look at. The goal is just to get him into an area that holds deer consistently. He just wants to get some meat. Should be a lot of fun just checking out some new places in some terrain that is kind of different than what i am used to.

That sounds like fun Mike! I really want to expand my range in WI and scout some new areas come spring. Or possibly during the season if I tag-out early.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:30 am

I was off work early today and near a property that I used to hunt, it was logged some this past winter but they left a few pockets of cover here and there, so I walked the military crest of the hill and found a few beds.

This one had a old rub on the tree next to it and some hair in it.

We got a quick rain shower this afternoon so it was quiet walking, coming out of a thick area I got within 15-20 yards from a smaller bull moose.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”