Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Lockdown wrote:The dog topic reminds me of a story my uncle told me about his old lab. She was one of those special dogs that seemed to always know what you wanted and was a great retriever. In his home town home plate of the baseball field is roughly 30-40 yards from an ag field. He said she would always track down the foul balls the kids in the audience couldn't find. He said that one day she brought back a ball that was covered in dirt that had obviously been unfound, left and tilled under. She dug it up. So he sent her back out and she found 3 or 4 more balls that had been buried. Who knows how long they were there ;)

His favorite story with her was when she found a crescent wrench that his employer (old farmer) had lost. Farmer was ticked because he'd had that wrench for decades and "they don't make them like that anymore." He had lost it years prior and mentioned it every time he had to use an "inferior" wrench around the farm.

He figures he set it on the fender of his tractor or truck and it fell off out in the field but really nobody knew where it went. He said he rubbed her ears and said "can you find the wrench Haley? Go get it." Later while he had forgotten about it she came back with his dirt covered crescent wrench.

I don't think a dog will have a problem finding someone in a scent loc suit regardless of other details.

Darn it Haley! That's the 9/16 that I lost in 2012. I wanted the 3/4 that I lost last year! :lol:

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Southerntundra

Unread postby Southerntundra » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 pm

I listened to round 2 this evening while grilling some steaks and must say I enjoyed it. I give dan the nod on round 2 as well as round 1. I'm sure if I met John out at a diner he would probably be a nice guy and I would enjoy visiting with him but on the podcast I've heard him on he comes off as arrogant. On these with him and dan I find myself just wishing he would hurry up so I can hear dan, I don't know dan either but he is better in my opinion to listen too. He seems less arrogant and a little more humble than John. Also I've heard John say at the start of a podcast on wired to hunt that he "never " watches tv hunting shows. Yet throughout the entire podcast he refers to tv hunters and it's obvious he does watch them. At the end of this one dan kinda catches him in a Fib it seems, I'm just not sure how truthful the man is.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Interesting podcast. What I take away from this is if you really want to shoot bigger buck you just got to figure out what works for you, then work your hiney off to get it done.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Guys that kill big bucks and wear scent lok clothing are killing big bucks, while they are wearing scent lok clothing, not because they are wearing scent lok clothing. Guys that kill big bucks and wear blue flannel shirts, are killing big bucks while they are wearing blue flannel shirts, not because they are wearing blue flannel shirts. Whatever you are wearing is what you will kill a big buck in. Could be Real Tree, could be Mossy Oak, could be Tree Bark, could be plain old brown coveralls. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Stanley wrote:Guys that kill big bucks and wear scent lok clothing are killing big bucks, while they are wearing scent lok clothing, not because they are wearing scent lok clothing. Guys that kill big bucks and wear blue flannel shirts, are killing big bucks while they are wearing blue flannel shirts, not because they are wearing blue flannel shirts. Whatever you are wearing is what you will kill a big buck in. Could be Real Tree, could be Mossy Oak, could be Tree Bark, could be plain old brown coveralls. :think:

I didn't kill any big bucks years ago when I wore Tree Bark all the time. Might have to break it out again this year and make it happen. :think:

Oh yeah.....it doesn't fit anymore. :doh:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 pm

oldrank wrote:Jed needs a redbull.... I'm not sure I'm convinced on that video the dog didn't sight find the sheds. I've owned a few pheasant labs. They would work a field naturally with pretty amazing speed zig sagging with wind. They could air scent a bird 200 yrds or more away. When the tails got going you better be on the dog. They also knew what hunting was and didn't need much encouragement. I would like to see the dog find one buried under some brush and hunt the field without the human knowing where the sheds are. Although Jed may have wind scented the sheds I'm gonna have to say inconclusive on the video. IMO

It looked to me that the dog was to low in the grass to see, and certainly stopped directly down wind of the shed , sniffed then turned to run to it. From the elevation it was filmed at, the shed was a lot more visible than from the height of a dog. Same day, he also alerted so we stopped and he ran into the wind 40 yards to a skull with antlers half buried in the dirt that had obviously been there for years.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Just finished #2.

Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.
Joe™
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 pm

All I can sum it up to is that he is so confident in his scent elimination regiment that he actually beleaves he's 100% scent free. Like many have said, if that works for you that what can it hurt. I'm not against anything that's going to boost your confidence. IMO thought some of the stuff he assumes is complete B.S.
I understand he's put down some impressive Whitetails, but to say owe it to his scent lok suit? Give me a break.
Joe™
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am

Outdoor814 wrote:All I can sum it up to is that he is so confident in his scent elimination regiment that he actually beleaves he's 100% scent free. Like many have said, if that works for you that what can it hurt. I'm not against anything that's going to boost your confidence. IMO thought some of the stuff he assumes is complete B.S.
I understand he's put down some impressive Whitetails, but to say owe it to his scent lok suit? Give me a break.

I think this is what is happening as well, he just deeply believes in the stuff like many of us once did and he probably makes a little extra coin on the side too so that is like a win/win for him. He probably thinks we are all crazy too but the results speak for themselves, Dan and many other beasts get it done without it, John gets it done with scentlock, moral of the story is you can get it done either way even if some don't want to admit that.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:22 am

Hypothetically, let's assume your scent can't pass through your scentlok suit. You're telling me sweat never drips on the outside of the jacket or touch the outside with bare hands? The scent that's on the outside of the suit can't be contained inside. There is no human scent on your release or finger tab? Bowstring wax? Bow rope? The list goes on and on and on. So many other foreign odors go into the woods with you beyond skin and breath.
Also no disrespect to Michigan guys, I know you have it tough but he acts like if you aren't in Michigan you don't experience any hunting pressure. That's just not true. I can take you places around my home that I guarantee see just as much pressure. So many holes in his argument.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 am

Haven't listened to the podcasts, don't really plan on it now. But I'm just gonna toss this into the oven and see if it bakes. A nice little read from eberhardt

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/i ... post-37339
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 am

Qusetion - Has Dan ever told the story about the first time he used milkweed? Or how it came about?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:55 am

Jonny wrote:Haven't listened to the podcasts, don't really plan on it now. But I'm just gonna toss this into the oven and see if it bakes. A nice little read from eberhardt

The post season scouting and part about the importance of bedding areas sounds exactly like beast hunting. Thanks for sharing the link, theres some good stuff in there.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Jonny wrote:Haven't listened to the podcasts, don't really plan on it now. But I'm just gonna toss this into the oven and see if it bakes. A nice little read from eberhardt

The post season scouting and part about the importance of bedding areas sounds exactly like beast hunting. Thanks for sharing the link, theres some good stuff in there.

Agree. Although I think he generalizes his "bedding areas". Are they doe bedding with a rut buck bed or 2? Or just doe bedding that the bucks cruise and chase in.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:21 am

and finally....THIS is why John is such a successful hunter! Post season scouting, bedding, avoiding hunter pressure, destination areas (sounds like a staging area), transitions, etc. It's all here. John is a hunting beast, he knows what he's doing ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”