New spot, any suggestions??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ashreve93

New spot, any suggestions??

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 am

Hi guys, I'm a new guy here and would love some suggestions from the best hunters out there! A friend of mine found a new area to hunt a little over a week ago so we decided to check it out even with only 1 month before season(risky I know). I have a screenshot of the estimated travel routes I discovered, along with some basic info. I didn't go too deep into the swamp because my friend doesn't like walking through Swamps. Lol

Purple is the easy way in to access those two spots, which we all know should notify the deer someone is there because of wind direction. My friend is going to use it to get to his tree stand.
Blue is my access area - very difficult area to get to, but the least educational to the deer because of wind direction.
Orange is estimated paths of the deer
Green is a couple beds, doe primarily.
While scouting, I also noticed a bait pile, I don't know who it belongs to, but It tells me it is a remotely well used small section of land.

What I'm struggling with is, I think the buck may be bedding farther down creek, so should i put up my stand next to the creek? If so, where on the creek? I'm also struggling with the fact that as my friend walks in, hes going to scare the buck away, should i try finding where the buck runs to when it gets spooked and hunt it there? I also noticed a solid NE running swamp/woodline fence towards the right part of the image. Do you think there would be beds there, especially for western winds?

For the record, I want my friend to get the buck, but he's very persistent about taking that easy route in and hunting that same stand. I completely disagree with his method, and i got his permission to hunt the area as I wish, so I'm going to hunt it as best i can. I know this area is hunted, so there's no sense in hunting it harder, but smarter instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
brancher147
500 Club

Re: New spot, any suggestions??

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 am

If you post a topo I can give some suggestions based on terrain... As far as where to hunt based on what you have said I have no idea. Look for sign and food and bedding and main creek crossings is where I would start.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am

It looks pretty flat. So, I topo isn't really going to tell us anything! Your buddy has a terrible access route with that wind. If he's coming in that way he needs to hunt on more of an easterly wind.

You need to find out where the bucks are bedding first & foremost. You should check the oxbows along that creek. And that transition edge angling up to the right. It hard to pick where to hunt without knowing where the bucks are bedding.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Archery9069

Unread postby Archery9069 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am

I wouldn't access throw the field in the morning you will kick a lot a deer out . Only acces throw the field in the afternoon . But The stand placement seem close to the field unless you just trying to shot a doe that will work unless you been glassing and see a buck coming out in day light . But I highly doubt a buck will be moving throw those open woods during daylight hours specially a mature buck.. i would hunt the edge of the swamp I'm sure there trails will show where there going in out of there .
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm

The access across the field whether morning or evening is awful.. he will bust deer on that wind going in and coming out and at the end of the day, makes your job harder of getting a good deer because of him unknowingly letting the deer know something is up.
Ajazwinski88

Unread postby Ajazwinski88 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Straight down from the right hand orange line there is a big bend in the creek that has I nice little point of land sticking south (assuming top of pic is north). That's where I would be looking if it were myself. Also directly east of that point, across the swamp is a subtle point pushing into the swamp. I'd chance that spot also. If you're coming in from the blue zone your buddy will be wondering why you see deer and he doesnt
Last edited by Ajazwinski88 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maianwatahe

Unread postby Maianwatahe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:08 pm

I think his stand choice is horrible. Too close to food I doubt he'll see bucks in the day light. Hard to tell where he should sit as we can't really see what else is around there
Ajazwinski88

Unread postby Ajazwinski88 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:15 pm

One more thing to add. Due west of the corner of timber you will be accessing through is a nice size island of trees in the swamp. Not sure how I missed it the first time. That's my favorite location on your aerial you posted. Maybe save it for last!
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 pm

brancher147 wrote:If you post a topo I can give some suggestions based on terrain... As far as where to hunt based on what you have said I have no idea. Look for sign and food and bedding and main creek crossings is where I would start.

This area is actually pretty flat. Quite atypical for Pennsylvania. So i didn't think a topo would be very beneficial. But thanks for the suggestions! I'm debating on going in now and looking more for bedding, or waiting 3 more weeks for the season to start and see what I can find on a blind evening hunt.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 pm

tgreeno wrote:It looks pretty flat. So, I topo isn't really going to tell us anything! Your buddy has a terrible access route with that wind. If he's coming in that way he needs to hunt on more of an easterly wind.

You need to find out where the bucks are bedding first & foremost. You should check the oxbows along that creek. And that transition edge angling up to the right. It hard to pick where to hunt without knowing where the bucks are bedding.

You're 100% right on everything. My buddy refuses to change his mind about his spot, so I'll have to hunt accordingly, or hunt when he's not hunting it.

I was with him when i did a little scouting, so I didn't tell too far, so i couldn't find any beds. I'm also new at finding beds, so I'm not that good at it yet. You think the transition line to the right is a good spot to check for beds? And maybe an island within the marsh looking stuff to the right?
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Archery9069 wrote:I wouldn't access throw the field in the morning you will kick a lot a deer out . Only acces throw the field in the afternoon . But The stand placement seem close to the field unless you just trying to shot a doe that will work unless you been glassing and see a buck coming out in day light . But I highly doubt a buck will be moving throw those open woods during daylight hours specially a mature buck.. i would hunt the edge of the swamp I'm sure there trails will show where there going in out of there .

I couldn't agree more. I don't hunt fields unless I hunt does. My thought was I'd find some major trails down the small transition lines leading to the swamp, and I did. That's what the orange lines are. But i wanted to hunt closer to the bed, but I'm not sure where the beds are. Any suggestions on bed locations?
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

hunter10 wrote:The access across the field whether morning or evening is awful.. he will bust deer on that wind going in and coming out and at the end of the day, makes your job harder of getting a good deer because of him unknowingly letting the deer know something is up.

Do you think there is a way to take advantage of him using the wrong wind? Maybe hunting in a secondary bed up the transition line in the far eastern part of the swamp that the buck may run to when my buddy walks in?
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Ajazwinski88 wrote:Straight down from the right hand orange line there is a big bend in the creek that has I nice little point of land sticking south (assuming top of pic is north). That's where I would be looking if it were myself. Also directly east of that point, across the swamp is a subtle point pushing into the swamp. I'd chance that spot also. If you're coming in from the blue zone your buddy will be wondering why you see deer and he doesnt

Those are awesome finds! You must have a good eye for this kind of thing! Do you think the spot coming off of the East transition line is a good first sit? So I can see across the swamp, and my wind won't scare a single deer? Plus it is a real good spot. I like it a lot.

As for your other response, you got me all sorts of excited! There HAS to be a bed there. It just seems too perfect.

The circle is the island you're talking about? Considering the wind, would you say the blue dot is a good spot to sit, or do you think it is too close to where the bed MAY be? Thanks for the help!
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Sorry for the delayed response guys. I have a lot to get done before the season starts, no time to spare! :shock:
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Maianwatahe wrote:I think his stand choice is horrible. Too close to food I doubt he'll see bucks in the day light. Hard to tell where he should sit as we can't really see what else is around there

I doubt he will see much more than a few doe, but im still hoping he gets lucky wind and gets something. But there really isn't much more to see. To the west is a lake, to the east is a creek nearly impossible to cross (unless you're as crazy as me) to the south, a tough creek and am open swamp, and north is a road and some more soybean fields. It's a little corner of paradise that has all the cover and food a deer could ever want.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”