Patience Pointers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Patience Pointers

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 am

Opening morning has come for several states now and I hope y'all have had good luck out there!

One thing I really noticed this weekend was how impatient I've become in the stand. From constantly having to move around the grab the phone, drink water, etc... This movement cost me several fat does which frustrated me into getting down 15 minutes early which, spooked several more. :violin:

I just wasn't in that mentality this weekend but I'm also interested in hearing what helps keeping you guys so still for 5+ hours in the deer stand because I just can't do it!

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Patience Pointers

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 am

Same thing I tell my kids. Sit down and be quiet! :lol:

All seriousness, my life is go, go, go, nonstop. When I'm in the tree I'm at peace and in comfort. I don't think you could teach someone to sit still. But rather the guy who is fidgety has to get use to sitting in the quiet. It can get lonely not seeing anything but the serenity is worth the sit.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

In the early season I have a very difficult time staying in my tree more than 3 hours. I guess it's because I don't really expect to have much success on a mature buck. I know that you can kill some very nice bucks while their still on their Summer patterns but it doesn't have the same thrill for me that the rut does.

As far as passing the time that can be tough. I'll usually have a couple articles to read on my phone or check out forums like the beast.I try to stay mentally into the hunt as much as possible and am constantly plotting my next move. Your luck can change at any second.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:39 am

Unfortunately nothing works for a bad back, sore knees & ADHD...

I limit my sits to 2-2.5 hours, all I can take...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am

I live in a fast paced world often juggling 3 different tasks at the same time. The first couple years I started hunting I really struggled with what your are talking about and being able to remain still and quiet. In my case I took on a character and play the part of the Boogieman, to remind myself to be alert and still. As for setting in the stand long hours, I have learned as many of you have your first time in a tree is your best shot. I try to pick the right time and conditions to be in a certain tree and when I get them I'm riding it for all its worth, I don't want to burn a good spot because I was simply impatient.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

Seems like it takes me a full half hour to slow down to match mother nature every time I go out. Depends on everything else going on in life too.

But everyone is different, some get there easier some get there harder. Its worth the effort to me every time. If I can't unplug I start to melt down. Others might be the opposite - melt down when they can't touch their smart phone every 5 minutes. :lol:

Jealous of you guys hunting already....I am still just going for walks in the woods.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:15 am

I think early in the season it takes some people a few sits to get back in the rhythm of hunting again. I know it does for me.

Kinda like Joe said, Let yourself get in-one with nature again. Sitting in a treestand is some of most relaxing time of my life. Put down your phone. Don't worry about work. Don't check your facebook.

Observe, focus and enjoy! The thought that any second a shooter buck could step into my word, is what keep me patient!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 am

You have to get you but calisis in place, a few good sits on a rock and you'll be golden!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am

Anticipation!!!!! That dream buck could pop out at any second.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 am

This is my goal this year is to unplug, forget about the cellphone, and get in tune with the woods!
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am

The hardest part for me in hunting is i find it boring at an intolerable level 95% of the time. I like scouting and learning, dont hate cameras, enjoy setting up but once im set its awful. I think it has to do with so many entertainment options in 2017. 20 years ago sitting there was fine cause there wasnt anything else to do. Now i cant wait to get down most times.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am

briar wrote:The hardest part for me in hunting is i find it boring at an intolerable level 95% of the time. I like scouting and learning, dont hate cameras, enjoy setting up but once im set its awful. I think it has to do with so many entertainment options in 2017. 20 years ago sitting there was fine cause there wasnt anything else to do. Now i cant wait to get down most times.

:lol:

Sorry Ron but that's hilarious!
Joe™
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I live in a fast paced world often juggling 3 different tasks at the same time. The first couple years I started hunting I really struggled with what your are talking about and being able to remain still and quiet. In my case I took on a character and play the part of the Boogieman, to remind myself to be alert and still. As for setting in the stand long hours, I have learned as many of you have your first time in a tree is your best shot. I try to pick the right time and conditions to be in a certain tree and when I get them I'm riding it for all its worth, I don't want to burn a good spot because I was simply impatient.

Same here, right there with ya! Bed hunting has helped me alot tho. I believe its bc every sit im confident hes coming, most of the time im standing these days.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

Leave the phone in the truck. I'm on my phone for work with email and messages 24/7. I don't want it to bleed into the woods, that's my time to escape. I love messaging buddies updates but the nights where I forget my phone in the truck it's all better. Sure there is the safety angle but I hunted from 1990 to 2004 without a cell phone in stand. Pretty sure I'll still live.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks for the pointers y'all

I'm going to bring a book or something with me and see how that goes. Now that I look back on it, my most successful hunts have been when I was sleeping/about to pass out and woke up to hearing something.... Guess it's taken me this long to realize that my impatience and constant movement has been holding me back.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”