Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 am

Josh_S wrote:
Jonny wrote:Haven't listened to the podcasts, don't really plan on it now. But I'm just gonna toss this into the oven and see if it bakes. A nice little read from eberhardt

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/i ... post-37339

and finally....THIS is why John is such a successful hunter! Post season scouting, bedding, avoiding hunter pressure, destination areas (sounds like a staging area), transitions, etc. It's all here. John is a hunting beast, he knows what he's doing ;)

I always said he would do just fine without the Scent Lok. Just needs to start paying attention to the wind again. ;)

grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 am

When I watch Dan's video's I take notes, especially on the first three "Blood Brother's" DVD's. This is because their/his DVD's are so information-dense that I have no reasonable hope of learning what they/Dan are talking about simply by watching.

When I say I take notes, I play about a minute of the DVD and then type what was said. I use the DVD chapters to make an initial outline and then fill it in as the dvd plays as this avoids leaving gaps. Then whenever I am bored, like at the DMV I review the pdf of my notes on my phone and consider how to apply their/Dan's techniques to where I have available to hunt. Last year was my first attempt at implementing Dan's tactics and Gol Dang they worked!

Even while I reconsider not hauling all my extensive inventory of scent control items into the woods because of the weight involved, at the same time it sure is no fun to have to get down out and move trees when the wind shifts as Dan/Blood Brothers recommend. This in turn makes me feel like I am doing something wrong because Dan talks about switching trees even multiple times in the same day when the wind shifts however by the time I get done dragging my equipment, self, and weapon a mile into the woods and up a tree all before dawn my [*] is kicked so hard I am pretty much not moving when my milkweed seed blows through my expected ambush point. This may be because I recently weighed all the items I haul into the woods and it came out to 100 lbs, not counting what I'm wearing in?

I never imagine me completely giving up scent control, however my implementation may transition simply to treating my hunting clothes, gear, and weapon with ozone beforehand? In the meantime, until I wear out the vast amount of scent control clothing I purchased before stumbling onto Dan's tactics (I thought "Hill Country Bucks" was about Texas Hill Country) I supposed I will continue to wear it.

Scentlok/Scent Blocker is designed for hunting and is definitely less expensive than Sitka which because Sitka sold the UCP/ACU camo pattern to the army and which sucks/ed so bad I will never voluntarily buy their product.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 am

Outdoor814 wrote:Just finished #2.

Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.

Do you get the feeling John got indoctrinated in this scent control nonsense so long ago that he is so fully entrenched in his public stance on the matter that he'll NEVER publicly change his mind, even though he may secretly have doubts?

"Oh boy" Is a perfect summation on what I was thinking!

Emrah
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 am

Emrah wrote:

Really don't know what to think. Everything Dan said makes perfect sense. This John though. Oh boy.

Do you get the feeling John got indoctrinated in this scent control nonsense so long ago that he is so fully entrenched in his public stance on the matter that he'll NEVER publicly change his mind, even though he may secretly have doubts?

I thought this exact same thing. I think he would lose a lot of his followers and credibility if he publicly said anything
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Qusetion - Has Dan ever told the story about the first time he used milkweed? Or how it came about?

Not sure if I heard it or not. What's the story? Dying to hear. :D
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Emrah wrote:

I thought this exact same thing. I think he would lose a lot of his followers and credibility if he publicly said anything

I mean he must be fully committed 100% to his beliefs in the stuff. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say that his son ACTUALLY DID do the helicopter dog test in Germany???!!! :shock: :think:
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Emrah wrote:

I mean he must be fully committed 100% to his beliefs in the stuff. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say that his son ACTUALLY DID do the helicopter dog test in Germany???!!! :shock: :think:

He hinted at it, yes.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 am

I thought so.
Joe™
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm not sure what I thought of his angle. :violin:

While I've always kept my gear clean, I've never been a fanatic. I like Dans tactics, and will stick to them. I almost quit listening because of his stance. Kind of grating. Anyways, we can all do it the way we want to.
WSalzNC

Unread postby WSalzNC » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I have read one of John's books and have heard him on a couple podcasts now. He reminds me of some pro athletes-- I respect his accomplishments, but he's so arrogant that I don't care much for him.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 am

grydsrt wrote:This may be because I recently weighed all the items I haul into the woods and it came out to 100 lbs, not counting what I'm wearing in?

:shock:

What are you hauling in that weighs 100 lbs?
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:49 am

I just listened to johns podcast on BBR. At the end of it they ask some questions and one of his answers was that he hates stupid people. How he has tried helping people and they kind of blow him off because they don't have an open mind and that irritates him. I thought that was kind of hypocritical when he turned up his nose at dans way of hunting. I also don't like how often he uses always and never. There are exceptions to everything. Obviously his tactics work for him but it's not for me.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 am

I finally got to listen to round 2! I think I'm gonna have to get me some taller rubber boots for the last one cause the b/s is getting pretty deep... I will refrain from giving my true feelings, so I won't hurt anyone's feelings of there childhood hero. But I will say I can't stand people who run down every other state and make it sound like a cake walk. Big old mature bucks are rare and tough to kill anywhere. Some folks views of what a mature buck is, are quite different, for some it's 3 1/2 for others that's just a pup. Would like to see how his out of state bucks measured up against other bucks from that area. There are honey holes, in even the most pressured of states and if u have exclusive access to them where even land owners family are not allowed and surrounding property is getting hammered it's often a pretty favorable hunting condition. Does that make it easy? Nope, but it does make it very achievable for a hunter with a good amount of time to throw at it. Taking nothing away from the guy in the skills department, just see a lot of a small lot used car salesman in the tactics described.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 am

Agree or disagree with either guy's approach, I have to believe John is losing some respect through all of this. Flip side, don't think Dan could come off much better, and again that's completely irrespective of what you think of the approach. I don't cRe if he accomplished as much as Fred Bear, the arrogance is very odd-putting.
WEA$EL

Unread postby WEA$EL » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 am

So much for my hope that some humility would return in part 2.

"The whole thing about the dog test, that is an absolute joke"...

I don't know the man personally but I have to agree with others, the arrogance is very annoying. Most respected experts in their fields will say things like "I disagree and here is why." When people start to shut down a debate by arrogantly declaring something is a joke, it means at least that they are closed minded and at most that they have no argument to what is being debated.

I guess he figures he's made his money and killed his bucks and obviously could care less what people think about him. I don't know how any of his supporters can defend his arrogance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”