Weather Forecasting For Deer Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Weather Forecasting For Deer Hunting

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 am

Welcome to the beast!! I checked out some of your stuff this morning, very intresting. Ill do some more looking when i get a chance. I think this will work for you!! Good luck!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 am

Welcome Weather dude. I really enjoyed reading about the weather on your website. Definitely will be following.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 am

JoeRE,

Thanks for the feedback.

There are a handful of places where you can download historical data for free. The real pain is making it easily available on my site in a way that looks nice and is efficient. Believe me this was one of the first things I wanted to do with the site aside from the forecast discussions. My roommate has a minor in computer science with lots of web development and programming experience and he even said that it would be awful to try to do with just one or two guys working on it lol. I think for now I will copy all of the web pages I know of to find historical meteorological data and post the links to the site. That will at least give folks a place where all of those sites are in one place, or at least a good chunk of them.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am

No more data for Joe! Hes cut off. His brain is going to implode.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Welcome weatherdude!
Thanks for sharing your unique talents with the Hunting Beast. I always learn the most from people that have multiple passions! The crossover of ideas tend to bring unique progress to both fields. It is awesome to get a perspective on deer hunting from someone that is a master in another field. It tends to bring out ideas that have not been thought of before. I will definately be following your new website!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm

weatherdude wrote:elk yinzer,

It's always great to meet a non-meteorologist that actually looks at the available weather information out there that isn't just their phone weather app. I groan when someone even references that awful thing. All of your ideas are great and are things I definitely have in mind for the future. Wunderground is a great site for several different types of data. If you like Intellicast you should check out RadarScope. It costs $9.99 but it's a great product with all of the radar info you could ever imagine. The NWS is always a great source; having been an intern at the Norman NWS office during my time at OU I will always point people there for most weather info.

As far as making historical data available goes, this would be a major, major undertaking. It would require access to multiple data servers from multiple different websites where the data lives for every part of the country and running all of them on the HTF page. And unfortunately it would cost me (a poor graduate student) more out of pocket money than I can put forward for this project at the moment. If the site begins to see major traffic, then maybe a historical data server of some kind could be an option. For now it just doesn't make sense to do.

Radarscope is the best app. High-res level 2 radar data and other things. I try to tell may people about it but they rather stick with stripped down data from cheap free sites online. I use the NWS for all weather data and forecasting, and also dabble in short range models like the HRRR, NAM3km, or the SPC's hourly meso-analysis. Yeah, Im a weather nerd too. lol... Welcome aboard.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
weatherdude wrote:elk yinzer,

It's always great to meet a non-meteorologist that actually looks at the available weather information out there that isn't just their phone weather app. I groan when someone even references that awful thing. All of your ideas are great and are things I definitely have in mind for the future. Wunderground is a great site for several different types of data. If you like Intellicast you should check out RadarScope. It costs $9.99 but it's a great product with all of the radar info you could ever imagine. The NWS is always a great source; having been an intern at the Norman NWS office during my time at OU I will always point people there for most weather info.

As far as making historical data available goes, this would be a major, major undertaking. It would require access to multiple data servers from multiple different websites where the data lives for every part of the country and running all of them on the HTF page. And unfortunately it would cost me (a poor graduate student) more out of pocket money than I can put forward for this project at the moment. If the site begins to see major traffic, then maybe a historical data server of some kind could be an option. For now it just doesn't make sense to do.

Radarscope is the best app. High-res level 2 radar data and other things. I try to tell may people about it but they rather stick with stripped down data from cheap free sites online. I use the NWS for all weather data and forecasting, and also dabble in short range models like the HRRR, NAM3km, or the SPC's hourly meso-analysis. Yeah, Im a weather nerd too. lol... Welcome aboard.

Awesome man! Totally agree. I could never go back to a different radar source after using RadarScope the last several years. The SPC are my heroes; I did an internship there last fall and it was amazing. I live on that website during storm season. The HRRR is pretty good for day-of forecasting, 3kNAM is awesome too as long as you're not concerned with hurricanes. NAM totally goes to pot with tropical storms lol.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Welcome weatherdude!
Thanks for sharing your unique talents with the Hunting Beast. I always learn the most from people that have multiple passions! The crossover of ideas tend to bring unique progress to both fields. It is awesome to get a perspective on deer hunting from someone that is a master in another field. It tends to bring out ideas that have not been thought of before. I will definately be following your new website!

I'm the same way. Love interacting with multi-faceted people that don't pigeon-hole themselves. I hope you enjoy the site!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 pm

I have never mentioned it on here. But I use radarscope too. Been using it for about five years. Right now I use RadarScope Pro Tier 1. Nothing compares that I know of right now. For historical data. I use weatherunderground and www.timeanddate.com
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:20 pm

I use the Mesonet and RadarScope. Both are crazy good for current application but are obviously limited on forecast data. A forecast of 7-10 days with added historical data and, like joere mentioned, the capability to choose/view desired data with relative ease would be dynamite. Will be checking in on this. And uh......BOOMER!
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 am

I love the idea, and I am looking forward to following your site.

As someone who runs their own website for a living, here are a few suggestions:

-Ensure content appears above the fold when the site is loaded, it will help your SEO. Google doesn't like when people have to scroll down to find what they are looking for.

-I see you are using at least one photo from realtree.com. Make sure you have rights for any imagery used on your website. Exclusive rights is obviously best, but stock photography is good too. Copywrite violations can cost you thousands of dollars. Giving photo credit is not sufficient.

-Make sure to set up social media pages for your website (and actively engage your followers). It will give it added visibility and drive traffic. This is particularly useful when your website is young and no one's heard of you.

-Thinking long term: Assuming you plan to monetize the site - If your website ever reaches 30,000 pageviews a month sign up with Mediavine Adnetwork immediately. It will be the best decision you've ever made.

I like your logo btw!

Feel free to message me with any questions.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:24 am

You MUST have heard the joke about the weather rock - right... :P

Welcome!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:37 am

Octang wrote:I love the idea, and I am looking forward to following your site.

-Ensure content appears above the fold when the site is loaded, it will help your SEO. Google doesn't like when people have to scroll down to find what they are looking for.

-I see you are using at least one photo from realtree.com. Make sure you have rights for any imagery used on your website. Exclusive rights is obviously best, but stock photography is good too. Copywrite violations can cost you thousands of dollars. Giving photo credit is not sufficient.

-Make sure to set up social media pages for your website (and actively engage your followers). It will give it added visibility and drive traffic. This is particularly useful when your website is young and no one's heard of you.

-Thinking long term: Assuming you plan to monetize the site - If your website ever reaches 30,000 pageviews a month sign up with Mediavine Adnetwork immediately. It will be the best decision you've ever made.

I like your logo btw!

Thank you for your advice. I'm working on the way the site looks when you first open it. I'm not a fan of how far you have to scroll either but I also love the main header image. Trying to find a way to preserve that but eliminate the scroll. I don't currently plan to monetize the site but I may have to for future developments if it gets enough traffic. And yes you're correct about the one realtree photo. Slowly building my own portfolio of deer photos.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:I use the Mesonet and RadarScope. Both are crazy good for current application but are obviously limited on forecast data. A forecast of 7-10 days with added historical data and, like joere mentioned, the capability to choose/view desired data with relative ease would be dynamite. Will be checking in on this. And uh......BOOMER!

The Mesonet is phenomenal if you live in Oklahoma. Really doesn't get any better in my opinion. Unfortunately no other state has the dense network of weather stations that Oklahoma does.

SOONER!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 am

weatherdude wrote:
Octang wrote:I love the idea, and I am looking forward to following your site.

I like your logo btw!

Thank you for your advice. I'm working on the way the site looks when you first open it. I'm not a fan of how far you have to scroll either but I also love the main header image. Trying to find a way to preserve that but eliminate the scroll. I don't currently plan to monetize the site but I may have to for future developments if it gets enough traffic. And yes you're correct about the one realtree photo. Slowly building my own portfolio of deer photos.

If you search for "free stock photography" there will be a number of websites popping up that you can pull photos from. Some aren't totally free, but they are still cheap. Otherwise, if you find a photo on another website that you wish to use, simply reach out to the webmaster and ask for permission. Some will be happy to share the photo in exchange for a backlink.

If you do decide to monetize in the future, you are also well set up to create an app you can charge a few bucks for.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”