Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am

I have met other people like JE. I would guess that his personality is reflected in his statements. Right or wrong, they only believe what they believe and everyone else is wrong. There are many people like this. I have especially noticed it in successful entrepreneurs (not all!). I'm sure JE is the same or similar with other subjects besides deer hunting.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for asking, I am hauling in the following:

Muddy Bloodsport stand
Muddy Pro Climbing sticks x4
Tree Spider Safety Harness
Scentlok Coveralls
Scentlok Base layer
Scentlok/Scent Blocker medium layer
A fleece layer
Scentlok jacket
Scentlock outer pants
Kayak dry bag to carry it all in
Blackhawk ACU assault pack with flexible fame piece
2-3 Monster energy drinks
Small Binos
Nikon Rangefinder
Ozonics, two batteries, tree mount
Various pop tarts
Hand warmers
Toe warmers
Milkweed seeds
Camo eye pro
Bump Helmet
Some rope
Knife
Hand warmer muff
Tree saw
Bow tree arm
Sandwiches
Gloves, liners and outer pair
Socks 2 pair
Rocky Core Rubber 16" Hunting Boot Camo 13M
Some scent Spray
Grunt call
Iphone, cord, and extended release battery.
Gerber tool
For a minute I tried carrying my Rancho Safari Ghilli suit including hat, however that adds at least 30lbs to the mix.
Scorpyd vtec crossbow (last year)
Rope cocking device
Quickie 3 arrow quiver
Quickie quiver mount
3 arrows 460gr each
Leupold MK4 MR/T 3x9 scope
HHA optimizer
And at least three hats
Some sandwiches,
Candy bars,
Whatever else is in the bottom of my pack that I failed to remove
Muddy treestand safety line with carabiner and rubber cover

The problem then comes when trying to implement this full on scent control strategy because I have to leave at least an extra hour early because that is approximately how long it takes me to change out of the army camo and boots I wear in 200 meters from where I plan to hunt.

Following that walk and effort I am huffing, puffing, and sweating gallons in 15 degree weather as I try to get up the tree yet in the dark somewhat quietly.

This packing list is a legacy from before learning about Dan Infalt's tactics and techniques. I have simply not thought about altering the packing list now that I am aware wind has an effect on deer behavior.

My techniques then were to just get in hours before daylight and hunt the entire day. My tactics involved finding a trail leading away from the feeding area and setting up on it.

I parked a mile away and walked in to conceal my hunting location from other hunters.

My stand entry was previously a two part process with me carrying in all my packing list the night before in the pitch black, 30mph wind, sleet, and rain dumping it at a cache site 200-300 meters from my static ground hunting location. Then walking in the next morning wearing only light clothes and a rifle.

What has changed, thanks to Dan, is that I take all my junk with me when I leave the truck because I attempt to be flexible and hunt the sign as it exists on the ground rather than a spot I scouted out two years before.

In addition, thanks to Dan and the beast, I now attempt to be flexible enough to switch trees during the hunt in case and when the wind shifts.

I still park a mile away to conceal my hunting location from other hunters because I hunt public. I could perhaps drop about a third of my gear by not taking in an entire second set of clothes (as per my ScentBlocker DVD) however as I get cold very easily, I would still pack in all the insulated stuff.

I prefer to get my wife's permission to hunt the rut, i.e. when it's cold because my Beast skills are yet not developed enough to feel confident during the early season.

Thus, as per Dan, I pay attention to the days prevailing wind, locate likely doe bedding areas via google earth or bing Birdseye view, and attempt to setup downwind of them with an obstacle downwind of me so that I cannot get busted, and watch for bucks scent checking the doe bedding area.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 pm

I would like to note, that even when I have gone full stupid with scent control prior to simply treating all my equipment with ozone by running my ozonics in the hunting room I would nevertheless get busted.

Since I have been aware of Beast tactics I have in addition treated my gear with ozone. I cannot remember getting busted since then, however I have not hunted more than a few days since then either. I only get one weekend this year as well.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm

My input...for what it's worth. I've listened to both part1 and part2 thus far. I've got 2 of John's DVD's that I picked up for $2.50 a piece and I must say, they are definitely worth that. I enjoyed seeing them and he does have good input. His tactics are a bit more for guys who obviously target good bucks, but opportunity bucks. Seems like he really doesn't know for sure what's in the area before hunting it. Which is fine, I never really do either other than the big beds I find post season. I don't really run cameras ever. Even in his DVD's I noticed that he is cocky and arrogant. Then to hear him say that he has never heard of Dan, I believe that to be false. Just so happens that he is starting to do scouting workshops now and I doubt anyone with his success and knowledge wouldn't know of Dan. Then he claims dog tests are a "joke" because of ground disturbance, that argument is a bit convincing but why then does the dog still always find the guy in carbon first? All three guys would be leaving the same disturbance...then he really sent me laughing when he wants to be dropped in from a helicopter on a long rope as to not flip a leaf with the propellers and lay in a field and have the dog try to find him. Nice fantasy, but I've never seen anyone fast rope in to their tree stand to avoid a deer. If scentlok worked so well, there wouldn't be such compelling arguments as to why it doesn't. Lastly, I feel the same way Dan does about scent control in that if we eliminate all the deers advantages, how is that considered "hunting"? We would then just be out there to kill. The element of surprise and the rush would fade away. It would eliminate the challenge. I've almost completely given up scent regiments other than just washing myself and clothes in scent free detergent and my success has gone way up. Not because of scent control but because I'm learning thermals and bedding and hunting the way I've learned from all the greats on this site. Those products are taking away the true meaning of hunting...guys will throw tons of money at just about anything on the belief that it works. I can't see how people will spend $500 on a little machine that "might" work when just a few years of education will kill lots of bucks over a lifetime. Anyway, sorry for the tangent and hopefully someone has read this far. Can't wait to hear the remaining episode(s).
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Grydsrt, I would focus on cutting that pack list way way down.

There is a video Dan made where he explains his "pack list" and it's like 3-4 things. You don't need to be a minimalist by any means but I think a guy can burn himself out carrying in that much gear everywhere.

For comparisons sake: I packed for a week long camping trip into the boundary waters this summer and it wasn't even 100lbs (and that included most of my food)...I think you could cut your list in half

Just my thought
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:02 am

grydsrt wrote:Thanks for asking, I am hauling in the following:

Muddy Bloodsport stand
Muddy Pro Climbing sticks x4
Tree Spider Safety Harness
Scentlok Coveralls
Scentlok Base layer
Scentlok/Scent Blocker medium layer
A fleece layer
Scentlok jacket
Scentlock outer pants
Kayak dry bag to carry it all in
Blackhawk ACU assault pack with flexible fame piece
2-3 Monster energy drinks
Small Binos
Nikon Rangefinder
Ozonics, two batteries, tree mount
Various pop tarts
Hand warmers
Toe warmers
Milkweed seeds
Camo eye pro
Bump Helmet
Some rope
Knife
Hand warmer muff
Tree saw
Bow tree arm
Sandwiches
Gloves, liners and outer pair
Socks 2 pair
Rocky Core Rubber 16" Hunting Boot Camo 13M
Some scent Spray
Grunt call
Iphone, cord, and extended release battery.
Gerber tool
For a minute I tried carrying my Rancho Safari Ghilli suit including hat, however that adds at least 30lbs to the mix.
Scorpyd vtec crossbow (last year)
Rope cocking device
Quickie 3 arrow quiver
Quickie quiver mount
3 arrows 460gr each
Leupold MK4 MR/T 3x9 scope
HHA optimizer
And at least three hats
Some sandwiches,
Candy bars,
Whatever else is in the bottom of my pack that I failed to remove
Muddy treestand safety line with carabiner and rubber cover

The problem then comes when trying to implement this full on scent control strategy because I have to leave at least an extra hour early because that is approximately how long it takes me to change out of the army camo and boots I wear in 200 meters from where I plan to hunt.

Following that walk and effort I am huffing, puffing, and sweating gallons in 15 degree weather as I try to get up the tree yet in the dark somewhat quietly.

This packing list is a legacy from before learning about Dan Infalt's tactics and techniques. I have simply not thought about altering the packing list now that I am aware wind has an effect on deer behavior.

My techniques then were to just get in hours before daylight and hunt the entire day. My tactics involved finding a trail leading away from the feeding area and setting up on it.

I parked a mile away and walked in to conceal my hunting location from other hunters.

My stand entry was previously a two part process with me carrying in all my packing list the night before in the pitch black, 30mph wind, sleet, and rain dumping it at a cache site 200-300 meters from my static ground hunting location. Then walking in the next morning wearing only light clothes and a rifle.

What has changed, thanks to Dan, is that I take all my junk with me when I leave the truck because I attempt to be flexible and hunt the sign as it exists on the ground rather than a spot I scouted out two years before.

In addition, thanks to Dan and the beast, I now attempt to be flexible enough to switch trees during the hunt in case and when the wind shifts.

I still park a mile away to conceal my hunting location from other hunters because I hunt public. I could perhaps drop about a third of my gear by not taking in an entire second set of clothes (as per my ScentBlocker DVD) however as I get cold very easily, I would still pack in all the insulated stuff.

I prefer to get my wife's permission to hunt the rut, i.e. when it's cold because my Beast skills are yet not developed enough to feel confident during the early season.

Thus, as per Dan, I pay attention to the days prevailing wind, locate likely doe bedding areas via google earth or bing Birdseye view, and attempt to setup downwind of them with an obstacle downwind of me so that I cannot get busted, and watch for bucks scent checking the doe bedding area.

WOW! :shock: I take my bow, a string, a stand, and sticks, a small flashlight, some milkweed, small camera and arm, and that's about it...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Grydsrt, I would focus on cutting that pack list way way down.

There is a video Dan made where he explains his "pack list" and it's like 3-4 things. You don't need to be a minimalist by any means but I think a guy can burn himself out carrying in that much gear everywhere.

For comparisons sake: I packed for a week long camping trip into the boundary waters this summer and it wasn't even 100lbs (and that included most of my food)...I think you could cut your list in half

Just my thought

Yeah my back hurts just looking at that list :?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 am

I think John takes more of a business approach to hunting these days. He's created his brand and there needs to be something about him that nobody else is doing. That's what keeps people buying his books, DVDs, magazine articles, going to his seminars, and now his scouting workshops. A good salesman stands by his product and sells you on why his is better than the next. It's kind of disappointing though because he started out appealing to the common public land hunter but in recent years he seems to be distancing himself from that same crowd. I wonder how much public land in MI he actually hunts still?

Not sure if it's age or the pressure is getting to him but he seems to contradict himself a lot more lately. In his books he tells his son that there's no absolutes in deer hunting. Now he uses the words "always" and "never" like they're going out of style.

He says scent control is all or nothing, but he reactives his suit in the household dryer. How can you be totally Scent free with lint, hair, and dryer sheet residue all over your outfit? He also says you can wear your suit 3-4 hunts before reactivating it. If that's the case, there's no way the suit can be as effective on hunts 3 & 4 as it was on hunt 1 & 2. There's also no way to tell how many more hunts you can get out of the suit before re activation. All of his "tests" are purely anecdotal and he's quick to point out flaws in any other scent control tests that are done, even though those tests are much more scientific than any testing he's done.

I questioned him on another forum about walking to his stand and not worrying about the wind. He admitted that he doesn't wear his full Scent Lok suit on his walk in. I responded with "how do you know you're not getting winded on you walk?" He didn't answer.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 am

Jonny wrote:
Yeah my back hurts just looking at that list :?

:lol: No kidding, grydsrt you body will thank you once you cut that list down by 80% or more. I take more than Dan into the woods but if it doesn't fit into my small fanny pack it doesn't come. Any extra warm clothes are strapped to the stand, you will feel so much more free and mobile when you don't bring along the kitchen sink. I use to pack everything I could think of just in case but all I ended up doing was carrying stuff I never used.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:56 am

:shock: This reminds me of band of brothers... Where ya going to keep your brass knuckles?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 am

My favorite part was various poptarts.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 am

I'd need to chug those 2-3 energy drinks so I had the energy to carry all that "stuff"!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 am

Darkknight54 wrote:My favorite part was various poptarts.

Mine was "bump helmet"

:lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 am

Darkknight54 wrote:My favorite part was various poptarts.

That made me hungry, I might add that one to my list this Friday! 8-)
toolmaker

Unread postby toolmaker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 am

Both guys have legit hunting information and strategies that have helped me 100% over the last 10 years. I don't agree with everything that anyone says, but I respect their opinions and continue to read and listen. Both of their results speak for themselves.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”