Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:02 am

I thought he was kidding about that list. :doh:

Don't think I would need 100 lbs of stuff to live in the woods for a week much less a day. :o

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 am

Dewey wrote:I thought he was kidding about that list. :doh:

Don't think I would need 100 lbs of stuff to live in the woods for a week much less a day. :o

Same here...Don't intend to bash anyway at all here but, holy moses!! I thought I was a bit excessive sometimes. I carry a bit extra food wise just because I cant stand getting the shakes out there. Monster energy drinks are a pound a piece first off and they are horrible for your body! I carry a medium backpack and its rarely full. Only on the coldest days. If I cant think of a real good use for something I've decided to leave it behind. All that stuff keeps you from being super stealthy and it wears you down. Not sure what he means by bump helmet but I can guess...what on earth is the purpose for this?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:26 am

RidgeReaper wrote:
Dewey wrote:I thought he was kidding about that list. :doh:

Same here...Don't intend to bash anyway at all here but, holy moses!! I thought I was a bit excessive sometimes. I carry a bit extra food wise just because I cant stand getting the shakes out there. Monster energy drinks are a pound a piece first off and they are horrible for your body! I carry a medium backpack and its rarely full. Only on the coldest days. If I cant think of a real good use for something I've decided to leave it behind. All that stuff keeps you from being super stealthy and it wears you down. Not sure what he means by bump helmet but I can guess...what on earth is the purpose for this?

The most iv heard on here is 50lb rut setups.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:05 am

Dan, I am glad you replied because I look at what you carry to the woods in awe.

Because the property I keep trying to get you to go hunting with me on is a military training area perhaps we should contain our debate on load weight to current US military standards? Because basically 100lbs is less than I carry on an average day at work with the national guard.

If you see this USMA article: https://mwi.usma.edu/the-overweight-infantryman/ it states current army doctrine "prescribes a fighting load of no more than 48 pounds and an approach march load of 72 pounds." However the article also quotes a former marine who was, "required to carry almost 200 pounds of gear, armor, and weapons."

In sum, at my Army job I can be and in fact am required carry between 130lb - 200lbs of packing list at elevations of 10,000' + over mountains in Afghanistan.

How do we fix that?
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:06 am

I walk in and out with my personality owned night vision goggles. They attach to the bump helmet.

Nope, not kidding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:19 am

grydsrt wrote:Dan, I am glad you replied because I look at what you carry to the woods in awe.

Because the property I keep trying to get you to go hunting with me on is a military training area perhaps we should contain our debate on load weight to current US military standards? Because basically 100lbs is less than I carry on an average day at work with the national guard.

If you see this USMA article: https://mwi.usma.edu/the-overweight-infantryman/ it states current army doctrine "prescribes a fighting load of no more than 48 pounds and an approach march load of 72 pounds." However the article also quotes a former marine who was, "required to carry almost 200 pounds of gear, armor, and weapons."

In sum, at my Army job I can be and in fact am required carry between 130lb - 200lbs of packing list at elevations of 10,000' + over mountains in Afghanistan.

How do we fix that?

I used to carry a pack, then I started to realize I rarely ever used any of the stuff in the pack and that it was hard to conceal the pack or find stuff in it quietly. I started reducing and have gotten to the point where I don't take anything I can't strap to my stand or fit in a pocket. Your military take is an interesting one... I can see needing certain items, especially when ones life could be in danger, but I think it might be better to separate between hunting and military. Im not saying you, or anyone should take what I take in the woods, but maybe one should consider what he thinks he needs, vs what he actually uses into consideration to lighten the load.
I also don't know exactly how your military hunts go, here, I generally only hunt morning and evening, so I don't need much. Even on all day hunts I don't take much more than listed. A lot of my travel hunts have me wandering around for hours with my equipment looking for hot sign or a hot spot to set up while carrying my equipment. I might need/want it lighter than the next guy.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 am

Dan, thanks. If you go with me to that base in Kansas I have previously emailed about in connection with the "Southern Workshop" you are more than welcome approach the hunting however you please.

The base has two halves. The better, northern half is only open for hunting on Saturday and Sunday. It is open after dark for access thus all non-google scouting would need to be conducted after dark.

The less fun to hunt, southern half is open year round for permit holder access and has some slobs as well so you could hunt that in any manner you chose.

Since I resumed hunting after a 20 year break I personally approach my hunts from the military standpoint which means I carry everything I think I might need. Last year I specifically made sure I used everything I took with me to justify taking it again the next day.

Short answer, vs. the pre-goretex and pre- windblocker fleece 1980's I am so thrilled to still be warm an hour after the sun comes up that that that alone justifies the weight.

I did switch to bringing 5hr energy drinks with me. But, ask my wife I live off monster zero. Lol.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 am

grydsrt wrote:Dan, thanks. If you go with me to that base in Kansas I have previously emailed about in connection with the "Southern Workshop" you are more than welcome approach the hunting however you please.

The base has two halves. The better, northern half is only open for hunting on Saturday and Sunday. It is open after dark for access thus all non-google scouting would need to be conducted after dark.

The less fun to hunt, southern half is open year round for permit holder access and has some slobs as well so you could hunt that in any manner you chose.

Since I resumed hunting after a 20 year break I personally approach my hunts from the military standpoint which means I carry everything I think I might need. Last year I specifically made sure I used everything I took with me to justify taking it again the next day.

Short answer, vs. the pre-goretex and pre- windblocker fleece 1980's I am so thrilled to still be warm an hour after the sun comes up that that that alone justifies the weight.

I did switch to bringing 5hr energy drinks with me. But, ask my wife I live off monster zero. Lol.

Hey, first off thanks for your service. I'm a Marine myself and although I've been out for almost 7 years now...I do completely understand what makes a combat load. Just because I can and have carried it many times, I choose not to haha. Been to Iraq and Afg and lived outside the wire in both countries for months with just about every piece of gear known to man...if you have justification for bringing it I totally can't argue with it. I choose to stay very mobile and I cannot stand be dragged down by too much equipment.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 am

RidgeReaper, Devil Dog! Thanks.

Since we are completely off topic, I would like to point out Eberhardts scent control is lacking a Major element- how to control breath scent because even following it completely I have been busted. Only thing I can think of is some sort of active carbon mask?

Here are pictures of the base, this is no kidding 75 yds from the main road. I have driven this road at least 400 times and before the Beast never even considered hunting there:
Image Image
Last edited by Dewey on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for masked vulgar language.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 am

military base: Image Image Image Image
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:21 am

jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:26 am

grydsrt wrote:Thanks for asking, I am hauling in the following:

Muddy Bloodsport stand
Muddy Pro Climbing sticks x4
Tree Spider Safety Harness
Scentlok Coveralls
Scentlok Base layer
Scentlok/Scent Blocker medium layer
A fleece layer
Scentlok jacket
Scentlock outer pants
Kayak dry bag to carry it all in
Blackhawk ACU assault pack with flexible fame piece
2-3 Monster energy drinks
Small Binos
Nikon Rangefinder
Ozonics, two batteries, tree mount
Various pop tarts
Hand warmers
Toe warmers
Milkweed seeds
Camo eye pro
Bump Helmet
Some rope
Knife
Hand warmer muff
Tree saw
Bow tree arm
Sandwiches
Gloves, liners and outer pair
Socks 2 pair
Rocky Core Rubber 16" Hunting Boot Camo 13M
Some scent Spray
Grunt call
Iphone, cord, and extended release battery.
Gerber tool
For a minute I tried carrying my Rancho Safari Ghilli suit including hat, however that adds at least 30lbs to the mix.
Scorpyd vtec crossbow (last year)
Rope cocking device
Quickie 3 arrow quiver
Quickie quiver mount
3 arrows 460gr each
Leupold MK4 MR/T 3x9 scope
HHA optimizer
And at least three hats
Some sandwiches,
Candy bars,
Whatever else is in the bottom of my pack that I failed to remove
Muddy treestand safety line with carabiner and rubber cover

The problem then comes when trying to implement this full on scent control strategy because I have to leave at least an extra hour early because that is approximately how long it takes me to change out of the army camo and boots I wear in 200 meters from where I plan to hunt.

Following that walk and effort I am huffing, puffing, and sweating gallons in 15 degree weather as I try to get up the tree yet in the dark somewhat quietly.

This packing list is a legacy from before learning about Dan Infalt's tactics and techniques. I have simply not thought about altering the packing list now that I am aware wind has an effect on deer behavior.

My techniques then were to just get in hours before daylight and hunt the entire day. My tactics involved finding a trail leading away from the feeding area and setting up on it.

I parked a mile away and walked in to conceal my hunting location from other hunters.

My stand entry was previously a two part process with me carrying in all my packing list the night before in the pitch black, 30mph wind, sleet, and rain dumping it at a cache site 200-300 meters from my static ground hunting location. Then walking in the next morning wearing only light clothes and a rifle.

What has changed, thanks to Dan, is that I take all my junk with me when I leave the truck because I attempt to be flexible and hunt the sign as it exists on the ground rather than a spot I scouted out two years before.

In addition, thanks to Dan and the beast, I now attempt to be flexible enough to switch trees during the hunt in case and when the wind shifts.

I still park a mile away to conceal my hunting location from other hunters because I hunt public. I could perhaps drop about a third of my gear by not taking in an entire second set of clothes (as per my ScentBlocker DVD) however as I get cold very easily, I would still pack in all the insulated stuff.

I prefer to get my wife's permission to hunt the rut, i.e. when it's cold because my Beast skills are yet not developed enough to feel confident during the early season.

Thus, as per Dan, I pay attention to the days prevailing wind, locate likely doe bedding areas via google earth or bing Birdseye view, and attempt to setup downwind of them with an obstacle downwind of me so that I cannot get busted, and watch for bucks scent checking the doe bedding area.

You have "sandwiches" and then "some sandwiches" on your list. How many sandwiches do you eat and/or bring for a hunt? Sounds like you could live in the tree for a month. When I'm starving to death in my treestand this year all I'm going to be doing is thinking of your pack list and getting very jealous. respect
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 am

testing image posting: Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 am

Let's get this thread back on track with discussing the podcasts. Some of this may be better discussed in a separate thread.
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 am

Lol. Substitute the second set of sandwiches for the two (2) headlamps I forgot to mention.

I really do not bring the entire packing list I posted, it is simply an approximation. For some reason I do not get hungry on the stand these days? Perhaps this is because I have so much riding on the approximately 48 annual hours my wife has been granting me in the woods lately? I am the stay at home parent for our 14 month old while my wife is in her first year in Baylor Law School - WTG Honey!!

I'll need to weigh it again, however just my stand, sticks, harness, and straps alone are pushing 50lbs. I am not in the market, but are lone wolf or xop ones lighter?

(what's up with posting the pics? it used to work?)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”