3 bucks same spot small woods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Flyers1001

3 bucks same spot small woods

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:13 am

Here's the thing I have a 150 acre parcel of land that's got about 20 acres of trees with a 7 acre corn plot on 1 side and a 3 acre oats plot. The center of the woods is about 5 acres of some super nasty stuff mostly water and red willows I've only been in there once in the spring and these 3 bucks bed in there all are 4 1/2 this year been in the same bachelor group their whole life the biggest one is pushing 170 smallest one of the group is 140. Last year during gun season they all 3 holed up in their it's kinda their safety blanket. They grew up their and i get pictures of them all every night right after dark in 1 of the two plots depending on the wind. I know I could sneak in there on the trail hang a stand and the middle sized one opening night he's always the first one in the line,but is it worth it when I can pretty much guarantee if I do I will lose these other 2 forever. I don't feel like they would be comfortable staying in there as soon I enter their sanctuary and kill one of them. I was also thinking maybe this is the year they are finally the year they split up for the rut and find new areas. It's really a touchy spot to be in cuz I have passed all 3 of these bucks many times in previous seasons. They handle my scent on the food plot and at the camera pretty well but they kinda know that's what they have to put up with to eat. I think they would change drastically if I ever went into their home. What would everyone else do idk if it's worth killing one when I might have to sacrifice the other two. I'm also kind of attached since I've got to watch them grow up over the last 4 seasons but my rule is 4 1/2 on my property and they are there. Maybe keep sitting on the outside and hope 1 of them makes a mistake I just don't think they will maybe during rut they might.

Flyers1001

Re: 3 bucks same spot small woods

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 am

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but there is other little pockets of woods willows and Crp on the property but the bucks all bed in that one spot, and all the land around this piece gets hammered during gun season. There is also a 150 inch 2 yr old with split 2s bedding in there that I would hate to bust out of there because as 4 yr old he's going to push that 200 inch mark and I don't want to screw up that.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:48 am

If you want to kill a buck you have to hunt them where they are during hunting hours. Yeah, you might bump em, but you might hang one on your wall too.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:11 am

Flyers1001 wrote:idk if it's worth killing one when I might have to sacrifice the other two.

:?

I guess I don't understand your logic here. What are the other options? Let them die of old age because you're afraid of bumping them?

You should feel fortunate to have several bucks of that caliber living in such a small area. Seems like that would put the odds greatly in your favor. I'd do whatever it takes to put that 170 on my wall.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 am

They could get hit by cars or killed by neighboring hunters too. Either you take the gamble or you take the other scenario of chances.
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 am

Well my thinking was that eventually 1 would get truly dominant and get rid of the other 2 and I'd be stuck with that one. I'm maybe just being greedy because I've never had this many good bucks in one little spot when I bought this piece of property 6 years ago there was nothing on it because the people drove the woods and had stands everywhere on this property. They'd come up from the city drive there wheelers all over hang stands all over it see all the rubs and scrapes think they were going to shoot a monster but they'd wreck the chances they had by going in there the day before season cutting shooting lanes and making a bunch of ruckus.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:23 am

IMO...If your bedding area is that great, then those bucks will keep coming back every year. Only go in as deep as you have to, for your kill set-up. Then after stay out as best you can. Those other bucks will come back if that is the most secure primary bedding in the area!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 am

It's not the best bedding spot just the safest one that has alll 3 things a deer needs in really close proximity in the area. there is 10 sq miles of public swamp and big woods to the south which is where most of my bucks I think go once they get older than 3 1/2 that's why I've been so careful with this Spot. It's way easier to kill them where they are at now. What I'm really asking I guess is a sanctuary a sanctuary no matter what.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:56 am

Flyers1001 wrote:It's not the best bedding spot just the safest one that has alll 3 things a deer needs in really close proximity in the area. there is 10 sq miles of public swamp and big woods to the south which is where most of my bucks I think go once they get older than 3 1/2 that's why I've been so careful with this Spot. It's way easier to kill them where they are at now. What I'm really asking I guess is a sanctuary a sanctuary no matter what.

Based on beast style hunting. There is no such thing as a sanctuary. There is a place where mature bucks move during daylight, and can be killed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 am

Flyers1001 wrote:Well my thinking was that eventually 1 would get truly dominant and get rid of the other 2 and I'd be stuck with that one.

I'm failing to see the difference in this, and your proposed scenario of actually killing one and the other two leaving. The only exception is that you'd have one in hand if you killed him.

If you were to go in on opening day and kill one, have to walk through the bedding area and "stink" it up, it probably will send the other two out for a short time. I'd be willing to bet that they'd be back in the place that they've safely lived all their lives within just a few weeks.
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 am

Well technically all these marsh bedding spots were sanctuarys to these mature bucks that's why they use them that why they move in them during the daylight. They were sanctuary to them until a beast sneaks up to their beds and surprises them with a thwack one evening haha. I have the trees picked out hunt in there did it this spring knowing that I'd probably have to move in there to kill one just didn't expect all 3 to be there. So hopefully come Monday I got a story and some pictures to go with this stuff. Thanks for pushing me over the edge. I know it's a situation that most people would like to have. I just didn't want to wreck it for the future.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 am

Flyers1001 wrote:Well technically all these marsh bedding spots were sanctuarys to these mature bucks that's why they use them that why they move in them during the daylight. They were sanctuary to them until a beast sneaks up to their beds and surprises them with a thwack one evening haha. I have the trees picked out hunt in there did it this spring knowing that I'd probably have to move in there to kill one just didn't expect all 3 to be there. So hopefully come Monday I got a story and some pictures to go with this stuff. Thanks for pushing me over the edge. I know it's a situation that most people would like to have. I just didn't want to wreck it for the future.

Go get-em...Good Luck!!!
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 am

Don't over hunt it and it want be wrecked.
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

TNstalker wrote:Don't over hunt it and it want be wrecked.

:L:
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

I won't overhunt it I've actually only hunted it once in the last 5 years my wife sits on the corn plot during gun season but only once I've been in that lil woods but killing a deer tracking it then recovering it is definitely going to push all the deer out if it. All of that is going to be way more intrusive then me getting busted going in there and hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”