Backcountry hunting advise needed

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwzimmer

Backcountry hunting advise needed

Unread postby jwzimmer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm

I talked to a wildlife biologist for the state about some public land to hunt the other day. He said that I was the second person in eight years that has asked about that particular area. The reason being that the is zero road access and you would pretty much have to camp in there to make it worthwhile. I'm not a big hiker/backpacker/camper but over 1000 acres of unpressured land with bow only hunting sounds really tempting. Do you guys have any advise for some wanting to try a backcountry style hunting trip for the first time?

John Zimmerman <><
Thunder Stick III 50#@29"
cdeam

Re: Backcountry hunting advise needed

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Its hard for me to see 1000 acres as a backcountry area. But if you have a body of water, get a canoe or a small jon boat. Either can help you haul gear. If you have to pack in, invest in a good backpacking tent and a few other lightweight supplies. Premade meals are definitely the way to go because it cuts down on camp chores. Think burritos, ramen, pb, jerky. Baby wipes make for a good camp bath. Pack some aluminum foil to build a windshield for your camp stove and 3 ways to make fire. Pack some dryer lint and some matches. If you take a few matches and wrap them in tp and then dip it all in wax, it makes a great fire starter. I could go on.

Also, keep in mind that the longer you are out there the more time will slow. As that happens, you will see the country a little differently. Your rythm will start to sync with the woods you're in. It gets addictive.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:00 pm

This is my dream! We can't camp out in a lot of our public land in Massachusetts, at least not in the wildlife management areas I hunt. I wish I could. I agree that boat access is key and will give you the ability to pack the gear you'd need to hang for a few days and set up a camp. Just make sure where you set up your camp is well away from where you want to hunt so you don't blow out your deer! I like a whisperlit stove for a camp stove. I've had the same one for over 20 years and it still works like a charm, under any conditions. I'm also partial to sleeping in a hammock with a tarp set up as a lean-to over it. Make a floor with the tarp and keep your gear on it and drape it over a line strung from tree to tree over the hammock and stake it off on the other side so you have an opening and protection for you and your gear from rain and wind. Have fun!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm

You may be missing a zero or two as I wouldn't say 1,000 acres calls for a backcountry sort of approach.

But if that's what you want to do, you have to decide your approach. In order of difficulty you have bivy camping, backpack camping (spike camp), canoe camping, and truck camping. Gear needs of bivy camping are pretty strict as far as efficiency and decease from there. Once you decide on that and gear up, make sure you practice it. Camping in addition to hunting takes a lot of work and can take quite a mental toll on you over the course of a week long hunt. You want to have those things figured out in advance.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
jwzimmer

Unread postby jwzimmer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 am

The reason I am calling it a backcountry style hunt is the only access is via hiking trails through private property easement. This trail is close to around a 1.75 miles before setting foot on huntible ground. This property was purchased by the state more for hiking than hunting. I would think you would be better off setting up a base camp from a central location and hunting for a few day that trying to hike 4-8 miles per hunt. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong? :think:
John Zimmerman <><
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:17 am

As I am preparing for some western hunts and acquiring gear I am looking for more and more places I can do this type of thing closer to hime. It's just unheard of in my area. The thought of packing in and staying in the woods must scare most people around here :lol: You really don't need much to survive out there. Pack some freeze dried food, a water filter, a lightweight tent and sleeping bag and you should be good to go! I did my first backcountry fishing trip a couple months ago and packed in several miles. It was awesome!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 am

I have absolutely no experience with this type of thing. But I think it sounds like it would be alot of fun! Hunting from a central location makes sense to me. I would aerial scout it in advance as best you can, and figure out what camping area makes the best sense. Good Luck, and let us know how it works out!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 am

i hunt the blueridge mountains and do this all the time. grab a hammock, sleep on the leeward side of ridges below the thermal tunnel and hunt above you the next day. or hunt that first night, sleep there down below the tunnel then move a ridge or two over the next day. youre also stacking the beds this way and not blowing out the area.
jwzimmer

Unread postby jwzimmer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 am

Hatchet Jack wrote:i hunt the blueridge mountains and do this all the time. grab a hammock, sleep on the leeward side of ridges below the thermal tunnel and hunt above you the next day. or hunt that first night, sleep there down below the tunnel then move a ridge or two over the next day. youre also stacking the beds this way and not blowing out the area.

Never really though of stacking through and area on a backpack hunt, but sounds like it could be a perfect strategy for how this property lays out. Thanks!
John Zimmerman <><
jwzimmer

Unread postby jwzimmer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 am

There where some write ups on rokslide that where exactly the information that I was looking for. Thanks for the links! :dance:

Listening to the gritty bowmen podcast was what made me want to try this in the first place. One day I'd love to try this style hunting out west.
John Zimmerman <><
jwzimmer

Unread postby jwzimmer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am

tgreeno wrote:I have absolutely no experience with this type of thing. But I think it sounds like it would be alot of fun! Hunting from a central location makes sense to me. I would aerial scout it in advance as best you can, and figure out what camping area makes the best sense. Good Luck, and let us know how it works out!

I'm posting a link to my thread asking for help breaking down the topos and aerials for this property. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I normally hunt swamps and river bottoms so breaking down maps in hill country is kind of a new thing for me.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41937
John Zimmerman <><
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Since it is hills it can be tricky but there are so many good threads on here about the hill hunting..I'm going back and looking at them alot. Also get the hill country dvd. I hunt swamps alot and farm stuff...it's good to know how those deer will more the terrain I hunted hills for years till the beast i just wandered looking for something good to set up on. It's worth it for the dvd set
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Also this sounds awesome!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm

jwzimmer wrote:The reason I am calling it a backcountry style hunt is the only access is via hiking trails through private property easement. This trail is close to around a 1.75 miles before setting foot on huntible ground. This property was purchased by the state more for hiking than hunting. I would think you would be better off setting up a base camp from a central location and hunting for a few day that trying to hike 4-8 miles per hunt. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong? :think:

That sounds like a great adventure. I think your idea is spot on and I hope you pursue it. 1000 acres is plenty to have a good time, particularly assuming you'll be 100% on foot. Heck, I'm planning a similar hunt later this fall, and it isn't even as secluded as your's sounds.

I do a lot of backcountry hiking/camping and I am happy to give you any direction you need in regards to gear, logistics, or planning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”