Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grydsrt

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:41 am

Dewey, good point. How does Eberhard accommodate the scent emanating from his mouth? ScentBlocker sells clorophil pills however without having some sort of an activated carbon mask to breath through there is no way to completely eliminate scent (assuming it is even possible) due to the scent coming from the mouth? I get busted no matter how strictly I follow the manufacturers scent control routines?

jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 am

Did JE ever mention that he will hunt the same spot multiple times? According to what he has said hunting the same stand would be like hunting a fresh set everytime, right?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 am

Dewey wrote:Let's get this thread back on track with discussing the podcasts. Some of this may be better discussed in a separate thread.

I Agree! :think:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RplCKVWK8mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yMT4_IAsE

Here are a couple videos from a guy from Michigan. He admits that he still gets busted at the end of the video where he is promoting his carbon powder. The other video is just insane what he does before a hunt.

Now I do own some carbon clothing and probably will still wear it and will try to remain clean but I am certainly not going to do all that crap. I will be putting less faith in it and placing more focus on wind and thermals going forward.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:32 am

He said he uses some form of facemask in his regiment.
Joe™
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 am

Waymore wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RplCKVWK8mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4yMT4_IAsE

Here are a couple videos from a guy from Michigan. He admits that he still gets busted at the end of the video where he is promoting his carbon powder. The other video is just insane what he does before a hunt.

Now I do own some carbon clothing and probably will still wear it and will try to remain clean but I am certainly not going to do all that crap. I will be putting less faith in it and placing more focus on wind and thermals going forward.

So they do make actual pixie dust! Thats why JE is confident his scent trail is non existent, bc of the carbon dust... Im just curious when they actually hunt? He said he takes 4-5 pairs of gloves! Even the bow string gets pixie dust...

Thanks for sharing Waymore
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 am

At the end of it all though he says that he gets joy out of doing extra prep and has confidence going afield. I guess were all just going the same direction.
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 am

I respect John for what he has done and I admit i bought one of his books recently as well as listened to him on many podcasts. That said, I just found out about Dan this last month and I have tried to ingest as much knowledge I can, and I can't get enough. Just from this past month I see the woods and hunting as a whole completely different, it's crazy! As someone with access to decent private land here in MI(shared with relatives/pressured) I had plans to explore public already and I know i'm late for the spring scouting but I will still learn a lot this season I'm sure!
Just ordered Marsh Bucks, and look forward to seeing where this all goes.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 am

I think the getting dropped off to stand by helicopter and repelling long rope into tree is how I'm gonna roll this season! Jam out to some Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" on the way to set the mood. Get back to the roots of hunting. :D
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I think the getting dropped off to stand by helicopter and repelling long rope into tree is how I'm gonna roll this season! Jam out to some Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" on the way to set the mood. Get back to the roots of hunting. :D

Actually the song is, Long Tall Sally by Little Richard ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0XS8OZGB8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
grydsrt

Unread postby grydsrt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 am

Those scent facemasks are about as effective as a chick farting in a tube skirt. What I am talking about is a WWI-style gas mask looking mouth/nose covering device with a tube down into a can of activated charcoal.

They do not make them, I know because I have looked. The best you can find is a painters mask, however the valve would need to be reversed to keep the air from getting out past the carbon filter rather than in through it.

As you can probably tell, if they had them I would probably buy one and carry it to the field.

However as far as strict scent control routine goes, you are setting a super high bar for yourself when you expect to wash your activated carbon clothes, air dry them, spray one side with scent killer, air dry it again, spray the other side with scent killer, air dry it a third time, then run it all through the dryer to reactivate the carbon, put in scentlok/block/free container, carry scent free container to hunting location, stop 200 meters short of you stand, in freezing temps strip down to bare skin, spray said bare skin with scent killer spray, redress in activated carbon, and get in tree.

Even after personally doing that for several seasons I would get busted.

Therefore, if this article is correct even JoeRE can take his three color camo and make it essentially as effective as activated carbon:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2014/07/does-it-work-ozone-scent-control-vs-drug-sniffing-dog?src=SOC&dom=fb

Which states: “before … the dog had found Bob almost immediately. Yet the addition of ozone confused that nose for nearly one minute, which amazed everyone.”

The article says treating clothes with ozone is almost as effective as an $800 ozonics setup (which I do not own due to cost). What about simply putting all your hunting gear and clothes in your truck cab and running an ozone generator in there the night before hunting?
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 am

I just feel bad after listening to this, I live in Kansas, and I had no clue I was hunting the easiest state with 140"+ deer everywhere that are dumb...they kick my but and I have yet to see a 140"+ on public that I hunt...guess I am a loser :lol:

I realize the stigma KS gets and our pressure is not like pressure from other states, but to think that your are going to come here and easily kill a 140" deer on public is a little far fetched in my opinion, atleast in the eastern half of the state.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 am

tgreeno wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I think the getting dropped off to stand by helicopter and repelling long rope into tree is how I'm gonna roll this season! Jam out to some Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" on the way to set the mood. Get back to the roots of hunting. :D

Actually the song is, Long Tall Sally by Little Richard ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0XS8OZGB8

:lol: nice!!!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

grydsrt wrote:Dan, I am glad you replied because I look at what you carry to the woods in awe.

Because the property I keep trying to get you to go hunting with me on is a military training area perhaps we should contain our debate on load weight to current US military standards? Because basically 100lbs is less than I carry on an average day at work with the national guard.

If you see this USMA article: https://mwi.usma.edu/the-overweight-infantryman/ it states current army doctrine "prescribes a fighting load of no more than 48 pounds and an approach march load of 72 pounds." However the article also quotes a former marine who was, "required to carry almost 200 pounds of gear, armor, and weapons."

In sum, at my Army job I can be and in fact am required carry between 130lb - 200lbs of packing list at elevations of 10,000' + over mountains in Afghanistan.

How do we fix that?

Join the navy? Haha!! I'm just kidding. Thank you for whst you do for us!!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm

I finally got time to sit down and listen to the pod cast. First of all, I have to say John Eberhart knows way more about deer hunting than I do, so I can't knock his track record or success. However, I found portions of his interview to be arrogant and condescending. But my biggest gripe with him is his shilling of scent lok products without any disclosures.

I make my daily living through online marketing and the FTC has very clear rules about promoting products you are affiliated with. Regardless of whether he gets paid, or simply gets his clothing for free, his constant promotion of scent lok without first disclosing his relationship (without needing to be asked) is a blatant violation of the FTC’s Endorsement Guides. The moment you enter any sort of relationship with a brand a preemptive disclosure is required if you are going to discuss their product. I've written hundreds of sponsored posts and always played by the rules so it really irks me to see another influencer skirting the guidelines. Like, why should I have to put a big "SPONSORED" disclosure in all of my content this guy doesn't?
#endrant

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”