Doe urine cover up?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Doe urine cover up?

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:13 am

I agree with the overwhelming sentiment on this forum that you will not beat a deer's nose. On the flipside of that is a whole industry that tries to utilize a deer's nose for attractant purposes. Most of these items I won't think twice about. I\Other items like Doe in Heat, etc. sound good, especially during the heart of the rut, but to me, in order to get the product to an effective location you also have to leave your scent behind, too. I was thinking today, however, could placing estrus urine in a water source (stream, marsh, etc.) be effective? If so, how much do you think would be needed to get a buck's attention? What distance would you estimate its effectiveness to be?
Here's a scenario...stand upstream of a location you want to hunt Mr. Big. Add some estrus doe in the water. Back out and circle around to a location between the buck bed and your estrus dump. Hunt a crosswind and see if you can finish the job. What do you think? Is it just a whole lot more work and a bit more $ than hunting without urine or could it be an effective tool?

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Doe urine cover up?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 am

Tons of variables in your set up.
a few things I dont like:
won't you get up wind of the bed to place the scent?
lots of noise and scent in order to place scent
scent in water probably wont work

If you know the bed why not keep it simple and just set up on it?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:51 am

magicman54494 wrote:Tons of variables in your set up.

You beat me to it Magic :lol:

Otherwise you could float in a kayak, silently down the river, and shoot him out of his bed. You would probably need a cross-wind to get that done.
Last edited by tgreeno on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 am

IMO I think you'd have to have gallons and gallons to do any good if you're dumping into a steam. Once in the stream they're going to dilute, as well as break down, making them less attractive. You're basically dumping money down the drain, literally.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 am

I just feel like a buck who has been around the block will know the real thing, even if you have 100% real and fresh doe pee that doe is still giving off her own smell that is above and beyond anything we could put in a bottle, its not all about just the pee. I would focus my energies on scouting and more productive setups instead of trying to trick the deer if that makes sense.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 am

No science behind this, but I would figure it would be come too dilluted too quickly to work well, just my initial thoughts though
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 am

I do use scents but by no means do I think they will completely cover my scent. I don't typically use them to cover my scent though. When I use them I have them set up blowing to an area where my scent won't be. I understand there will be some ground scent from setting it up but I believe that is minimal. My father shot a nice buck last year that came directly in to his hanging scent.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 am

You have to think of what happens when put into water. The doe urine is no longer doe urine but water. Things change like gasoline, when burned is no longer gasoline.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 am

If u r determined to try this experiment, glue a sponge on a piece of styrofoam, put scent on sponge and float it down. I tried sense a handful of times with very lil success. Only time it worked, was when I shot a doe one morning who was in heat or close to it. Tarsal glands were completely black and reaked. I cut em off, went to a new stand site, walked 20 yards to each side of my tree, then 20 yards up. Wind blowing from glands, and me directly to where the deer would approach. Thought was if they hit the sent the would follow b4 hitting mine, and I am set up 20 yards infront of the source of scent giving me the surprise element as they follow the source of scent. A 3 1/2 10pt followed the script to a T, however he wasn't what I wanted and when he reached the hanging glands he got suspicious did a circle and eventually got a big whiff of me. Only time I've ever had anything come into a scent, and this was a unpressured area.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 am

I like using scent sometimes when the situation is right. Under certain circumstances they can really help, or create a distraction long enough to help get a shot off. I think they can also work against u in some cases.

I've had luck having bucks follow my access trail right to my stand with doe estrus on a drag rag. I usually start messing with doe scent the first few weeks of November. I also cut tarsal glands off the does I kill or if a friend kills a deer I will usually ask for the glands if he doesn't want them. Buck and doe tarsal glands both work for me. I keep them in the fridge till I get ready to use them. I sometimes will have doe estrus, buck urine and tarsal glands all hanging around me everywhere when I'm not bed hunting.

Ive watched doe estrus spook does that aren't looking to be bred. I could also see it working against you by scaring off does, especially if the does are being followed by a buck. Ive watched deer come into tarsal glands looking for other deer. It could absolutely help if you were bow hunting and had a buck circle you out of range after trying some doe bleats or buck grunts.

If I was hunting a certain bed or had a specific buck I was after I most likely wouldn't use any. That doe estrus attracts young bucks the majority of the time for me. Most of the times when I've seen older bucks they are dogging a hot doe.

If I'm using scents it's usually during rut or late season. I've usually got a rifle and I'm 40 ft plus in my summit climber.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Tons of variables in your set up.

I appreciate your thoughts. Here are some clarifying statements

You wouldn't have to be as water flow and wind direction are not necessarily the same direction. In fact, I would only try this if my scent wasn't blowing the way water was flowing.

Actually, I would think this would minimize scent and noise as it could be done several hundred or more yards away from an ambush location and the buck's bed.

As someone later suggested I think I would float the urine in something buoyant and natural...like a milkweed pod. It is absorbent and floats. It would also not harm the natural location.

I agree that if a primary bed is known that is ideal. But what happens if Mr. Big could be in a number of beds especially during the rut? For that matter, at any time as we know bucks have multiple beds and they aren't always 'home' where we are specifically hunting. Let's say you have things narrowed down to an acre or so, perhaps a bit larger or smaller. Maybe this is one more tool in your . It helps broaden your 'reach' and acts as a buck attractant.

Having said all of this I know it still may be a giant stretch but I have learned in life that every once in a while an 'out there idea' becomes a game-changer.
Thanks for putting up with my sense of wonder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”