3 bucks same spot small woods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Re: 3 bucks same spot small woods

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Knock em dead buddy! :D

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
WEA$EL

Unread postby WEA$EL » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Good luck, hope you get a chance.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 am

Flyers1001 wrote:I won't overhunt it I've actually only hunted it once in the last 5 years my wife sits on the corn plot during gun season but only once I've been in that lil woods but killing a deer tracking it then recovering it is definitely going to push all the deer out if it. All of that is going to be way more intrusive then me getting busted going in there and hunting.

You almost sound worried about shooting a deer and disturbing the area, if your goal is to shoot one of these deer I would get in there and get aggressive. If you goal is to shoot one of these deer without disturbing the area then that same goal will be more difficult but not impossible.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 am

You don't seem to want to shoot one of these deer - and that's okay. Move on and find another one or two.
gillyfi

Unread postby gillyfi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:12 am

Why wait until they disperse? If you can get on them now do it! One of the other two bucks will claim that area for a short period and maybe you can get a shot at him later on. After the rut you might have the third buck back or new comers... Shoot straight! Good Luck!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:57 am

Don't take this the wrong way but I read that and first thing I thought is this.this guy is too confident that he can go in and kill the buck. There are many variables to it and even if you can go in and kill a minimum 140" buck why would you care about the others? If they have lived in this small area and grown to 170" they aren't going to leave forever if you break into their bedroom. Most guys on here jump around public land crashing through every inch they can looking for a 170" buck and they are still living in those woods. I feel you are not giving the deer enough credit. IMO. Goodluck
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 am

I've changed my mind I'm leaving them alone I'd much rather hunt out in the state land anyways maybe my wife can get one with the gun I'll just let her try and get I don't want bust any out there or use my tag opening weekend only get one buck a year passed a lot of 130- 150inch deer in September but I've got a few of those on my wall so maybe it's different but there's giants out there fellas thanks for the input and I'm sorry if I came off sounding cocky
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Sounds like you have three great options. You may have a chance by the sounds of it to kill all 3 but honestly I think that sounds a little greedy and may be a little unrealistic. If you have a buck that is around the 170 mark I would say that is a world class deer no matter where you are hunting and I would sacrifice the other two any day to harvest that one. It's a personal choice you will have to make in order to determine if you want all three that badly or if you'd be ok harvesting one or two while the other one got away. I agree with others saying you have to hunt them where they live. Also as I'm sure you're already aware these deer can change at any minute and get hit by a car, killed by another hunter during the rut or die from disease or natural causes. Live for today and don't count on things being the same next year. Good luck.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I would bet they break up and disperse before rut. Unless the pressure around them is insane? :think: it is pretty rare that mature bucks will hang together outside regular timing for bachelor groups. Especially during rut. But like we always say you can never say never.

Earlier you mentioned that if you go in there they'll relocate. I respectfully disagree. They are living in a little refuge right now. Deer don't abandoned the place that has kept them alive their whole life and completely relocate because of one encounter. You even said it's the safest place around...

Don't take this the wrong way but to me it sounds like you're having more fun watching them than you would if you killed one. I can see how you get enjoyment out of that.

Here's another way to look at it. What if those mature bucks run your future 200"er off for good? If push comes to shove he's either leaving "willingly" or getting his but whipped.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Flyers1001 wrote:I've changed my mind I'm leaving them alone I'd much rather hunt out in the state land anyways maybe my wife can get one with the gun I'll just let her try and get I don't want bust any out there or use my tag opening weekend only get one buck a year passed a lot of 130- 150inch deer in September but I've got a few of those on my wall so maybe it's different but there's giants out there fellas thanks for the input and I'm sorry if I came off sounding cocky

This is a strange thread, not sure what to make of it but good luck.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Flyers1001 wrote:I've changed my mind I'm leaving them alone I'd much rather hunt out in the state land anyways maybe my wife can get one with the gun I'll just let her try and get I don't want bust any out there or use my tag opening weekend only get one buck a year passed a lot of 130- 150inch deer in September but I've got a few of those on my wall so maybe it's different but there's giants out there fellas thanks for the input and I'm sorry if I came off sounding cocky

Hmmm...I noticed in another thread, you say you've also been chasing a 190-200 inch buck for the last 4 years in MN. You seem to have quite a stable of bucks at your disposal. You must be quite a hunter ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Flyers1001

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 am

Tgreeno I can't help but hear the sarcasm with you must be a good hunter that big one in the willow reed canary stuff is the one the one that really haunts me I can't figure a good way to hunt it. It seems like there is bed under willow clump that's why I joined this site because if anyone knew how to hunt this virtually dry swamp I figured someone here would. I don't know if I'm good at beast hunting but I have got lucky twice and dragged nice bucks out from a mile off the road one of which grossed 162. I also got lucky on my stepfathers property and that was truly lucky gun hunting from permanent stands on private land. I can tell you that no one in this area works as hard in this area as i do. I work road construction and have 150 beef cows . I get laid off late October from that point to April 1st it's deer family and more deer. I know the deer in this area I know how big they are what they are And how old they are I have sheds off a lot of deer so I'm picky and I really have no need not to be. I'm too the point right now where I want to shoot an once in a lifetime buck cuz they are around if you know where too look, and that is why I joined two weeks ago to try and become a better hunter so I can understand better how these bucks are using this cover that I'm not as familiar with not receive criticism for not shooting a particular deer. I would never tell anyone what they should or shouldn't shoot. I have my goals that are my goals they might be too high but i really don't mind being out in the woods for 2 months straight and on Christmas night shooting one of the thirty does that will be standing in the corn plot. I enjoy hunting too much and too shoot a 140-150 opening weekend use my only tag of the season and not get that two months in the tree is just hard to do. Thanks for all the input everyone has given me on this topic and the other ones as well this forum has a lot of good reading and it's nice to see people that are truly passionate about whitetails the way that I am.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:57 am

Hey Flyers, ok I see where you are coming from now, makes more sense. You are in the right spot to learn more to get that big one in the swamp, just keep after him and keep an open mind on tactics. I hunt a lot of swamp locations from the ground or sometimes setup only 5 or 10 feet up in a tree. I guess the best advice I can give is if there is a will there is way, don't get locked into only hunting one way or using one tactic, get creative on these deer. I sounds like you have a pretty good idea where the big one is, now it is a matter of figuring out when to lay off him and when to get after him hard. Try to bounce around a little bit so he can't pattern you as you are trying to pattern him, good luck.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:05 am

Yeah makes some sense but I would still think trying once for the 170 you wanted when conditions were right would be the way to go. I CAN guarantee you wont kill him if you dont try. Otherwise decide when that first try will be. Good luck! If you get him early great, and then focus on keeping the 140-150 safe til next season.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:56 am

I'd wait for the right day and go in after one. Good Luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”