Zone C

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
xlee

Re: Zone C

Unread postby xlee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:47 am

I wish I found these Bear Hunting threads earlier in the year. I've been bear hunting solo on public land in zone c and I could have totally used a lot of these tips from all the threads that everyone has provided. But I agree with what Dan said. Pressure takes a big toll on bears. They get smart fast. Especially if baits just start popping up every where. I had this happen to me at one of my bait sites. I was the only one there all summer long with bears on camera day and night...and a few weeks before the season opener, I start running into other hunters, we'll exchange information and from what I can tell some baits were cutting mine off, some near me some out in the middle of no where. That bait of mine went completely dead, and these new guys would tell me they got a few on camera, but then their baits went dead come opener as well. When I ask why they start baiting so late. They tell me it's useless to bait early because majority of people bait late so it's pointless wasting bait and time. Some would say they've been hunting there for years and that's how it works, etc. I actually hunted that spot the first 3 days of opener and I did not hear a single shot.

Good luck to anyone who is still out hunting trying to fill their tag! I wish I found these forums earlier to share my experiences. With that I was able to kill a bear this passed Saturday...on one of the hottest days of the season. I will share my story in the Bear Line Up thread.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:33 am

xlee wrote:I wish I found these Bear Hunting threads earlier in the year. I've been bear hunting solo on public land in zone c and I could have totally used a lot of these tips from all the threads that everyone has provided. But I agree with what Dan said. Pressure takes a big toll on bears. They get smart fast. Especially if baits just start popping up every where. I had this happen to me at one of my bait sites. I was the only one there all summer long with bears on camera day and night...and a few weeks before the season opener, I start running into other hunters, we'll exchange information and from what I can tell some baits were cutting mine off, some near me some out in the middle of no where. That bait of mine went completely dead, and these new guys would tell me they got a few on camera, but then their baits went dead come opener as well. When I ask why they start baiting so late. They tell me it's useless to bait early because majority of people bait late so it's pointless wasting bait and time. Some would say they've been hunting there for years and that's how it works, etc. I actually hunted that spot the first 3 days of opener and I did not hear a single shot.

Good luck to anyone who is still out hunting trying to fill their tag! I wish I found these forums earlier to share my experiences. With that I was able to kill a bear this passed Saturday...on one of the hottest days of the season. I will share my story in the Bear Line Up thread.

I think someone should try that experiment one of these years In Zone C that I was talking about :think: . It would be interesting.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 am

Yep. Would love to see the results of that !. Sure sounds like "remote" is key in Zone C.....
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 am

strutnrut716 wrote:Yep. Would love to see the results of that !. Sure sounds like "remote" is key in Zone C.....

How much remote can you get in Zone C...Dan thought he was remote! I think if a guy could get on a huge chunk of private you would be better off and I believe other parts of C could offer a better hunt. I would like to experience it some day.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:32 am

Mike Foss wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:Yep. Would love to see the results of that !. Sure sounds like "remote" is key in Zone C.....

How much remote can you get in Zone C...Dan thought he was remote! I think if a guy could get on a huge chunk of private you would be better off and I believe other parts of C could offer a better hunt. I would like to experience it some day.

There are a lot of remote places in C. Areas that have probably never seen a bait. A guy just has to go the extra distance and most importantly know the areas to avoid. Which in my opinion takes years to figure out if your not living in the area.
xlee

Unread postby xlee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:44 am

Mike Foss wrote:
xlee wrote:I wish I found these Bear Hunting threads earlier in the year. I've been bear hunting solo on public land in zone c and I could have totally used a lot of these tips from all the threads that everyone has provided. But I agree with what Dan said. Pressure takes a big toll on bears. They get smart fast. Especially if baits just start popping up every where. I had this happen to me at one of my bait sites. I was the only one there all summer long with bears on camera day and night...and a few weeks before the season opener, I start running into other hunters, we'll exchange information and from what I can tell some baits were cutting mine off, some near me some out in the middle of no where. That bait of mine went completely dead, and these new guys would tell me they got a few on camera, but then their baits went dead come opener as well. When I ask why they start baiting so late. They tell me it's useless to bait early because majority of people bait late so it's pointless wasting bait and time. Some would say they've been hunting there for years and that's how it works, etc. I actually hunted that spot the first 3 days of opener and I did not hear a single shot.

I think someone should try that experiment one of these years In Zone C that I was talking about :think: . It would be interesting.

^Would definitely be something to consider next time if I ever decide to hunt zone c again. Two years in a row has drained me. Do what you said but just have a camera on it just in case someone considers it an "old" bait site and start baiting it. But remote places does play a big role. Sometimes it's not going in the farthest and deepest. The spot I killed my bear at this year was only 1/2 mile at most from the parking, but every year the pressure will switch around from area to area. I learned that the hard way.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 am

xlee wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

^Would definitely be something to consider next time if I ever decide to hunt zone c again. Two years in a row has drained me. Do what you said but just have a camera on it just in case someone considers it an "old" bait site and start baiting it. But remote places does play a big role. Sometimes it's not going in the farthest and deepest. The spot I killed my bear at this year was only 1/2 mile at most from the parking, but every year the pressure will switch around from area to area. I learned that the hard way.

It's no different than whitetails in that regard. Overlooked comes in many forms.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:31 am

Dog training definitely has an impact as well. Most are great guys but some are territorial, some are ignorant. if you set up in the wrong area with the wrong guy he'll run a train on your bait.

I don't trust some of the guys too. I did a little run and gun baiting in late August. One of my sites was next to an old abandoned site. On the walk in to check one, my camera was on the ground and 50 yards away was a pile of partially frozen meat and donuts. I don't know if the guy was trying to set me up or he was planning on using illegal meat, but I pulled the site and let him have it. I don't need the headaches.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:43 am

Mike Foss wrote:

If you can get a motor vehicle down the road, it isn't remote on Zone C public. You need to hike (or boat), cross a physical barrier, or simply find something overlooked.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 am

Mike Foss wrote:

Oh there's remote spots! you just have to be willing to walk a half-mile, or boat in to bait from where you park
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:43 am

Mike Foss wrote:

I would not consider any of Dans Southern Baits remote

My furthest most remote bait I have to walk almost a half mile from my truck to the bait site
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am

BigHunt wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I would not consider any of Dans Southern Baits remote

My furthest most remote bait I have to walk almost a half mile from my truck to the bait site

There are very few hunters that would walk straight threw the woods, zigzag up and down to place a bear bait with out some sort of access. Even in Northern Wisconsin, "Northern Bayfield County" and believe me there's much more desolate areas than in Zone C where you think you might be remote until you hear a truck, atv or people. My furthest walk to bait is almost 3/4 mile but its on a dead end old logging trail, I am the only one to have access to it as you have to go threw private property to get to it. You probably wouldn't be able to walk one mile without hitting a road, logging road or some sort of trail. REMOTE I don't think there's such a thing!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:00 pm

very true mike. if you walk more than a couple miles, good chance you should have come in from the other side. :lol:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:29 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:very true mike. if you walk more than a couple miles, good chance you should have come in from the other side. :lol:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 pm

I think most here are talking Black River Falls, but does anyone hunt Zone C in the Shawano co. area? I have land 8 mi. west of Shawano. All together we have 56 ac. with our family owned by 9 people. It is mostly field and red Pine. There bear numbers are increasing but I doubt I would ever get a bear on that land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”