2017 Wyoming Pronghorn

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

2017 Wyoming Pronghorn

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 pm

After years of dreaming of hunting out west, I finally took the plunge a couple of weeks ago. I tried to talk local friends & family into going, but gave up on them and went with RichM from here on the Beast. We planned and discussed and settled on a unit, applied, and got drawn in eastern Wyoming. Spent all summer studying maps of the somewhat limited access to public land, practicing shooting, and reviewing gear lists.

We headed out for the 1,500 mile drive just before daybreak 3 days before the opener, and only stopped for a quick nap attempt at a rest stop in South Dakota for 3-4 hours. Needless to say, the excitement of getting out there was high (not so much on the drive home lol). We rolled into the unit we could hunt a little after daylight 2 days ahead of the opener. That time to scout was paramount to our success in my opinion. We spent all day that day and the next glassing the available tracts and getting an idea of where to focus our efforts.

Most of the bucks we looked at on both public and private were in the same size category. 2 or 3 stood out as clearly bigger, and 1 of those happened to be on public land both days in more or less the same spot. Because Rich had elected to only buy antlerless tags, I made that buck my target. Rich was keen on a small tract separating a water hole from a hay field that the antelope seemed to cross over every day. Plans were made to drop him off there while I went after the big buck.

Opening day was good to us. Rich tagged two, and had them quartered on hanging when I returned. The big buck gave me the slip, but I moved around and was fortunate to find and make a 340 yard shot on an average buck at 1:00. Walking up on him after all the years of dreaming, months of planning, and the uncertainty of going that far to hunt a species is never laid eyes on was a truly amazing feeling. It left me especially thankful to those who have protected our public lands and those who have encouraged others to go west and try their hand at diy hunts of this nature. For anyone on the fence, believe me when I say that if I can do it, so can you!

I notched my doe tag a couple days later, and we fit in some sight-seeing at Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore on the way home. All in all it was an awesome trip and one I'll never forget. Hope the link works for the pic. I haven't set up a picture hosting service other than photo bucket and don't feel like messing with one at the moment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ4CR6THL5D/

Not all those who wander are lost...
Rich M
500 Club

Re: 2017 Wyoming Pronghorn

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 am

Cool Pic!

J makes it sound easy - we spent 2 days from sunup to sundown scouting and trying to figure out what a big antelope buck in our unit looks like - these guys weren't extra long but a few were extremely heavy. The second day, we had a lot more company on the roads - we were in a very limited access area.

Come opening day - he weathered a heavy rainfall while waiting on the target buck that never showed after us watching him in the same spot for 2 solid days (sunup to sundown), slid down some nearly impassable clay roads, out-glassed and out-maneuvered the orange army, crawling up a long ditch to make an extreme shot.

The differences in beast hunting were obvious: we scouted from a distance - the other guys drove right up and spooked the animals, we anticipated hunter and animal movements, and we were there for the duration - sunup to sundown, rain, impassable roads, and in the heart of it all before the other guys, we also left after the other guys were done. In first out last.

An exceptional trip with exceptional company.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 am

Congrats guys! Sounds like an awesome trip!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 am

Sounds like you guys had a awesome time. Congrats on the kills guys
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks guys, it was unforgettable and I would even go as far as to say it was life-changing foe me. I know ill never again pay for a lease here in the southeast. I'd rather hunt public and what private access I can get permission on, and go out west after something annually.
Not all those who wander are lost...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Very cool 8-)
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Pretty cool. That’s on my todo list for the next few years
PeteD

Unread postby PeteD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 am

I have hunted out west every year since the early 90's and have luckily harvested many species through hard research and work. For those that have not tried it i recommend you do it now. Costs are only going up and up. If you do your homework you won't regret it! Life changing it is.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Congrats on your antelope J and RichM! :clap:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”