Pa bear archery

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ashreve93

Pa bear archery

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi guys. I was deer hunting earlier today and had a pretty awesome beat encounter. I position myself on the ground between doe bedding and a swamp, roughly 15 yards from the swamp. Well, 20 minutes before dark a 200ish pound bear walked 10 yards in front of me, between me and the swamp. Sat there for a minute, then left. I don't think he even noticed i was there! He was 10 yards broadside and my pin was on his heart thinking if only bear season was in right now. Well, when i got home i realized bear season started Saturday here I Pa!! I could have shot him!

It was a cool encounter regardless that'll I'll never get to experience again. So im most certainly glad it happened.

What im wondering is, when do you think he will be back? When i saw him, he was skipping around, running, then walking, then sitting... kinda goofing off.. does that mean he's really comfortable there and will be back soon?

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Ashreve93

Re: Pa bear archery

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:34 pm

forgot to mention.. I know nothing about bear hunting, this is my first year getting my tag.
JungleJoe35

Unread postby JungleJoe35 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Wow bud. Great encounter. As a PA bear hunter myself I would have mixed feelings myself. I had a similar, but not encounter a few years back when I hunted hard with my crew during rifle bear and had a 300 pounder come right under me first day of deer rifle. It was frustrating until I realized I might never have a black bear encounter that close again. Happy Hunting and good luck this year bud!
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:01 pm

JungleJoe35 wrote:Wow bud. Great encounter. As a PA bear hunter myself I would have mixed feelings myself. I had a similar, but not encounter a few years back when I hunted hard with my crew during rifle bear and had a 300 pounder come right under me first day of deer rifle. It was frustrating until I realized I might never have a black bear encounter that close again. Happy Hunting and good luck this year bud!

That's an awesome encounter as well! I went through the same feelings myself; I was frustrated when i realized i could have shot it, but happy cause it was such a cool encounter. Thanks for the wishes. Good luck to you as well! Only a few more days.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:10 pm

So, this saturday is the opener for bear, and I'd love to at least see one. My friend is letting me tag along with him, but just like me, he doesn't know much. So my plan was to sit in a real thick valley that funnels from the main parking area, through a corn field, and down into a 20' wide creek. From all directions, this spot is well over a mile from a road. Maybe close to two. Does this seem like a good plan?

MY friend told me not to worry about wind, bear don't use it to run from people. That, to me, doesn't make sense. I'm planning on setting on the Down wind side of this funnel. In a manor where my odor won't be picked up by bear running from the field. I just cant believe the animal in Pa woods that has the absolute best nose doesn't use it when running from danger?

There's no baiting in Pa, so doesn't anyone have any suggestions on how to hunt the opening day? Thank you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”