Silencing Lone Wolf Sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ugly_Duck

Silencing Lone Wolf Sticks

Unread postby Ugly_Duck » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 am

Interested to see ways people have come up with to silence their climbing sticks. Doesn't have to be lone wolf in particular but that is what I am working with. Most have heard of stealth strips but I tried my luck with a 3.99 roll of black hockey tape to fix. I personally have never seen the results of stealth strips but this has quieted it down considerably. The stand front was wrapped in paracord. The seat was contacting the base making metal sounds that was wrapped with hockey tape as well as the stand cables to prevent boot squeaks.

In wildlife ethics the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove his conduct. Whatever acts, they are dictated by his own conscience rather than by a mob of onlookers. Its difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact -Aldo Leopold
Ugly_Duck

Re: Silencing Lone Wolf Sticks

Unread postby Ugly_Duck » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 am

New to the forum and havent figured out posting pictures yet and also realized this could have been posted in the DIY section
In wildlife ethics the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove his conduct. Whatever acts, they are dictated by his own conscience rather than by a mob of onlookers. Its difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact -Aldo Leopold
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:51 am

I think 99% of the people here use stealth strips on the sticks, and either bike tubes/stealth strips or kayak grips for the buckles.

Hockey tape works fine, but I have found that it breaks down and gets tacky with use, at least with the stuff I have used it for, non-hunting related.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:44 am

stealth strips for me deadly and quiet until I pull my bow up and hit the stabilizer on my platform :doh:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Bbostrom wrote:stealth strips for me deadly and quiet until I pull my bow up and hit the stabilizer on my platform :doh:

Wrap the edge of the platform with a paracord cobra weave, and the front with 5/16 rope
Longhaul

Unread postby Longhaul » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:36 pm

The buckles on both the LW stands and sticks had always been the biggest violators for me. I saw the bicycle tube fix on here last year and finally got it to the top of my "to do" list this summer. It's kind of a pain to stretch a tube over all the strap buckles, but it definitely is the ticket to way mo quiet. I've got two identical LW Assault w/ 4 stick setups, so that's a fair # of straps!

But every hunt i do is a "hang and hunt", and having your stuff work for you instead of against you is a huge deal, x every hunt. Good luck!
SouthpawSwitchback

Unread postby SouthpawSwitchback » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Has anyone stealth stripped their Hawk Helium sticks? It seems like it would be a little trickier to pull off due to their unusual shape.
Ugly_Duck

Unread postby Ugly_Duck » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Jonny wrote:I think 99% of the people here use stealth strips on the sticks, and either bike tubes/stealth strips or kayak grips for the buckles.

Hockey tape works fine, but I have found that it breaks down and gets tacky with use, at least with the stuff I have used it for, non-hunting related.

I have to be honest ive never heard of the bicycle tube fix but I really like the idea of it. Any size tube in particular?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Ugly_Duck wrote:
Jonny wrote:I think 99% of the people here use stealth strips on the sticks, and either bike tubes/stealth strips or kayak grips for the buckles.

I have to be honest ive never heard of the bicycle tube fix but I really like the idea of it. Any size tube in particular?

I want to say the 1-3/4 to 2-1/4” width. Could be wrong though. You want it to be somewhat difficult to get the tube over the buckle.

YouTube search diy sportsman silencing ang treestand. That’s where I first heard it before I got here
Ugly_Duck

Unread postby Ugly_Duck » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:25 pm

How well do the stealth strips work with the stick holder or while trying to stack the sticks?
byg

Unread postby byg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 am

ditch the straps and do the rope mod and no buckles to worry about. Lighter also
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 am

byg wrote:ditch the straps and do the rope mod and no buckles to worry about. Lighter also

X2 I even find it faster to set up
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:15 am

SouthpawSwitchback wrote:Has anyone stealth stripped their Hawk Helium sticks? It seems like it would be a little trickier to pull off due to their unusual shape.

Yes did mine. Call Lou at Stealth Strips he will set you up as you need some custom strips that he has. Do not take off the steps when doing it because its a nightmare installing them as there is small washers that are very hard to get back in
johnsoninc86

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:37 am

daveynewman wrote:
byg wrote:ditch the straps and do the rope mod and no buckles to worry about. Lighter also

X2 I even find it faster to set up

X3, no chance of making any noise with the rope mod, just as fast to setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8Yz9wMno4
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 am

I have tried hockey tape, Velcro and this year stealth strips. Hockey tape is somewhat effective but peels and gets tacky, Velcro gets weeds and brush stuck all over it. Stealth strips are far superior and hold up.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”