Trail blazing??

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck B
500 Club

Trail blazing??

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi. Question for you guys that have some experience with blazing trails on private land. We have 250 acres in NW Wisconsin. About 1/4 of that is "high"land with oaks, pines, poplar. The other 3/4 is Lower elevation mixture of swampy, marshy, some scrub oak "islands" or peninsula, a small river running thru, etc. As you can imagine, the lower elevations is where the mature bucks seem to spend most of their time. I do get in there and try to hunt their beds (was successful on one tonight but didn't take the shot). However, life would be so much easier if I spent a few days with my bro in law and got our chainsaws out after the season and made some nice trails to get around the property. It would make it quieter on the trek in, and would make it much easier (and safer) on the way out. It's not fun to be down there in the dark when you get turned around. Seems like you are in a different world in the swamp, as many of you know! And we have multiple 500 lb bear on the property and that's where they live....

So, my question is, do you think the mature bucks will mind if we have some good trails running through the land? Or, would they feel less secure knowing that one doesn't have to go through the super thick to get close to his bed? Just wondering if any of you out there has tried this before and if so, what your experience has been? Who knows, maybe they would like the easy paths to walk on when they desired? And I am not talking about bulldozer trails, I am talking about four wheeler size trails. But, don't intend on taking the wheeler in there at all, just that size. Any input would be appreciated.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Trail blazing??

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Hard to say on the big bucks...but deer being creatures of convenience, will also take the path of least resistance. I had problems with trails because deer encounters on those trails and being I'm a public land guy, others will know where I'm heading. Maybe OK on private but I wouldn't blaze too close to beds...good luck :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I would be cautious on the luxury it would afford you so to speak. One strip through the middle becomes a bend toward this stand then maybe a branch going south.
And on and on.
Creating more navigable routes can be done wrong so easily I think. But with best intentions, which I understand from your post.

On public land I found a blazed trail with glow tacks or flagging tape every 10 feet with a footpath cleared of all branches and vegetation. It was a downhill finger ridge with no offshoots or bends, literally a straight shot up or down. Just have mommy hold your hand is what dude should have done.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I don’t think that trials are a big deal at all. If put in the right place they could be very effective hunting corridors. I’d try to put one down wind of doe bedding. If you could do that you’ll have scrapes and trials that could be hunted. IMO they’ll give you better access to your property. I’d just do some homework before blazing trials all over the place. The last thing you want to do is mess up your bedding areas. Most guys put trials in for convenience. You should put them in for tactical reasons too.
UnderHillHunter

Unread postby UnderHillHunter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Plan them carefully, when you use them will deer see, hear, smell you? Keep them away from prime areas but if you can wrap around and access good areas quickly and quietly they will play a part in success I would think.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:12 pm

A parallel trail along a transition about 100 off of it could be a great scouting tool plus easy navigation. You would still have to walk in the woods to access your stands but and easier walk for the majority of it. Keep a disc on it and you will see every track coming out of the swamp but still far enough away to not cause disturbance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”