How to--Field judging bucks VERY quickly

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

How to--Field judging bucks VERY quickly

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 am

I shot a nice 3 yr old 8pt that I was familiar with on Halloween. Since then, Ive passed on several nice bucks that I thought were 2 1/2 yr olds. Good size 8pts and a nice 10pt, which I decided was only 2 1/2. If I have a minute to decide I can usually tell a 3 yr old, but what do you use quickly to know shooter or not if you are targeting 3 yr olds. Most of the bucks I let walk will be killed here, during gun season.

I think when you see a 3 yr old, there usually is no second guessing it seems obvious, so if Im not sure it means its probably a 2 yr old. Do you guys feels the same? Southern Michigan mainly.

I think being 20-25ft up in a tree makes it harder for me to judge.

I had a huge buck that would have ended my season at 20 yards but was in some brush so I wasnt going to send an arrow through that.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: How to--Field judging bucks VERY quickly

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 am

For myself old deer just look and move like there old. The diff between a 2.5 and 3.5 is minimal and hard to always tell in a hunting situation with out previous history of the deer. As a rule when I see a buck coming if I have to think about whether he is a shooter or not he's prob not what I'm looking for.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 am

Boogieman1 wrote:For myself old deer just look and move like there old. The diff between a 2.5 and 3.5 is minimal and hard to always tell in a hunting situation with out previous history of the deer. As a rule when I see a buck coming if I have to think about whether he is a shooter or not he's prob not what I'm looking for.

Exactly.

This game is good practice.......
http://fieldscorewhitetails.com/index.php
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 am

I agree, I think very few people can accurately and consistently tell 2.5 from 3.5 without known history. Generally the only thing I generally trust myself to determine in the field quickly would be 1.5, 2.5-3.5, 4.5+, and even then 3.5-4.5 can be tougher than some people think I believe, especailly in good genetic/food/ soil areas where younger bucks can tend to have nicer racks.

I think setting a 3.5+ standard is probably the toughest line to draw, so I shoot 2.5's if it trips my trigger :D :L: Having a line of only truly mature (4.5+ to me) is easier to judge, but harder from a will power standpoint, for me anyways.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 am

In my area of NY, its usually pretty easy to tell a 2.5 from a 3.5 when they are reasonably close (less than 60yds). That seems to be when the most growth occurs body wise and rack wise. I agree that when in doubt, its probably not a shooter.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 am

Im ok with a 2.5 yr old around here, if I already have a buck I can get selective. Agree that after 2.5 in NY its easy to tell. Mike
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 am

Generally you "KNOW" when its a good one but it can probably be harder in some areas than others. Pretty easy up here in the bigwoods because rarely do the two years old exceed 90 inches, heck even some 3 year old can't crack a 100 but there are some tweeners that is it hard to tell. When something looks good I shoot, like mentioned before I don' care about inches or age class, I might only get one crack at a decent buck up here so I decide pretty quickly and flip the green light.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:For myself old deer just look and move like there old. The diff between a 2.5 and 3.5 is minimal and hard to always tell in a hunting situation with out previous history of the deer. As a rule when I see a buck coming if I have to think about whether he is a shooter or not he's prob not what I'm looking for.

Exactly.

X3 at home, most bucks I shoot I am hunting specific deer. Here in midwest, when I see it, I know it. I have made my fair share of "uh ohs" that's for sure.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Exactly.

X3 at home, most bucks I shoot I am hunting specific deer. Here in midwest, when I see it, I know it. I have made my fair share of "uh ohs" that's for sure.

X4. Thats what I was thinking. The fact that I had to look them over good (I took video instead, cool encounters) meant they probably were not 3.

My goal is 3 yr old were Im hunting since Im getting on them better. Ive mistakenly shot 2 yr olds twice before.

I figure, The best way to consistently kill 3 yr old bucks is to consistently kill 3 yr old bucks :lol:
MIbuckmaster14

Unread postby MIbuckmaster14 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 am

johndeere506 wrote:I shot a nice 3 yr old 8pt that I was familiar with on Halloween. Since then, Ive passed on several nice bucks that I thought were 2 1/2 yr olds. Good size 8pts and a nice 10pt, which I decided was only 2 1/2. If I have a minute to decide I can usually tell a 3 yr old, but what do you use quickly to know shooter or not if you are targeting 3 yr olds. Most of the bucks I let walk will be killed here, during gun season.

I think when you see a 3 yr old, there usually is no second guessing it seems obvious, so if Im not sure it means its probably a 2 yr old. Do you guys feels the same? Southern Michigan mainly.

I think being 20-25ft up in a tree makes it harder for me to judge.

I had a huge buck that would have ended my season at 20 yards but was in some brush so I wasnt going to send an arrow through that.

If their with other deer it can be easy to tell. Had a mature 10 point across my field about 200 yards away before I️ got my binoculars on him I️ could just tell because he looked so much bigger than the other deer out there. My guess is he is a 4.5 or 5.5 year old. It can be hard to tell difference between 2.5 and 3.5.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am

One way to tell is I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 2 year old buck in southern Michigan break the 120 mark but I’ve seen plenty of 3 year olds that have
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 am

I struggle making decisions, so I just shoot it when it walks by. Hard to pass when all I see is lots of steaks, stews and sausage sticks :L:

But I agree. Most deer look the same until you get that mature buck that comes in. They almost have an aura around them and you just feel weird being in their presence. That's when I know, I have a true northwoods giant within sight of me. You just feel their presence
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 pm

If when I first see a buck and I see enough to reach for the bow at first glance then he's a shooter for me..
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 pm

If I have to second guess myself or really stare to judge if he's a shooter, he's likely not what I'm going to shoot. When you see a giant you just know. I don't care about score. If the buck gets me excited enough to draw back then that's why I'm out in the tree
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 am

Judging bucks coming straight at me from a high stand has always been a problem for me. One of mt best stands ais like that.
All you can go on is width and when they get close you're pretty much looking down at main beam and that can be can be a real bugger. Two times I've shot bucks out of that stand that barely turned the green light on at the time but ended up being much better than I thought.

This year... same stand... Not so much, OOPs :o

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”