Mobile Set Up

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Mobile Set Up

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I use a LW hang on almost exclusively, but did notice when hunting the hills this year that a climber could have been used in almost every tree I sat in. In the marsh I hunt, a climber is useless in 90% of the trees I hunt out of. Having both, depending on the situation, is good.

X2

I sometimes use a climber in the marsh but only whn I know the exact tree I’m going to. It’s a nice relief throwing my much lighter Hand Climber on my back from time to time.

BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 pm

I've got the Lone Wolf sticks on order to go along with my Millennium M60U. I also have an old Ol' Man that I still use, along with a light-weight API climber. The API is easy to tote but if I'm not careful, it can be really noisy.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:25 am

vtbuck wrote:I have a xop Vanish and 4 xop sticks. I used a climber in the past but the tree had to be straight. With this setup I can get in pretty much any tree without issue. They both have their place of course. I just like the fact I don’t have to find the perfect tree now

Hpw are you liking your Vanish? Have your sticks had any issues like Jonny showrd in his journal?
Sean952

Unread postby Sean952 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:07 am

Mellenium m7 w/ lone wolf sticks. I do have a summit viper climber but almost never use it.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Lone wolf assault and 4 sticks is my set-up. I could use a climber in some trees I sit, but found myself hunting trees more than deer when I only owned a climber.
Challenger
Facebook: No Drama Here

Unread postby Challenger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm

I use a Summit Switchblade. It folds flat and carries nicely. It can be noisy but after 8 years with it I can be mouse quiet with it. The main public ground I hunt have alot of straight trees so finding one to climb is not hard,only a couple of times have I wished I was using sticks and hang on. I am geting older and the comfort of this stand is hard to beat and it's customized to my needs so well it when I am in it it feels like home.
2014 E35
1973 Challenger
Public Land Hunter
CBIIIHunter7

Unread postby CBIIIHunter7 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 am

BKMississippi wrote:I've got the Lone Wolf sticks on order to go along with my Millennium M60U. I also have an old Ol' Man that I still use, along with a light-weight API climber. The API is easy to tote but if I'm not careful, it can be really noisy.

I have an API Climber and agree it can be super noisy. I just got a new stand and stick platform. I am using a Milennium M7 microlite, with lone wolf steps. It's light, quiet and safe. 18.5 pounds before I throw a pack in. Works great.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am

daveynewman wrote:I run both. If i am familiar with the area and I know i can use my climber I will. But if I am new to the area I will always use my stand and sticks

This is what I do as well.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 am

I was noticing the same thing so that’s why I’m currently purchasing and xop enforcer sit and climb. I will pre scout areas as much as I can and determine what stand I can use. But multiple times I have gone in blind with hang on and set up only to realize after daybreak I need to move to another tree, and a climber would be much easier to do so. I’m mostly hunting big woods/hill country so there is no shortage of straight trees
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm

I've got a xop vanish with sticks and lone wolf sit and climb. If I can I use my climber more comfortable faster setup but scout and hunt gotta take stand and sticks
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm

stands:

older lw assault
xop silver
trophyline tree saddle (heavily modified)
loggy bayou legend xl climber (one of the last ones with a cable, not steel band, though I still have one of those from 1989. lol)

sticks:

3 lw mini sticks (with an aider on bottom stick)
4 xop sticks
3 dozen woody tree bolts with hand drill and cordless.

I mix and match depending on needs. ~98% of the time though, it's the lw assault with 1 xop stick and 3 mini sticks. Lightweight with plenty of height for most thick areas. I rarely find climber trees in the right spot, so I haven't actually used my climbers in many years, but I hate to get rid of them since I'm a gear hoarder. :lol:
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm

hang on = Lone wolf assault II and 4 XOP sticks
-like the setup but the sticks are too heavy. Probably going to try to reduce to 3 sticks and aiders until I find a lighter stick setup

Climber = older API climbing tree stand
-super comfortable, quick to climb, lighter than hang on but noisy and cumbersome with thick brush

Used my hang-on setup mostly for evening bed hunts and most of the season. Used climber for all day/extended sits during pre-rut/rut.
Thill

Unread postby Thill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:20 am

In order of frequency of use, Kestral tree saddle, lone wolf assult II, API climber (hasn't seen the woods in 3 years).
For shorter walks I use 4 lone wolf climbing sticks and 3 wild edge tree stepps. For longer walks ( 1 mile +) I use 8-10 wild edge tree stepps with aider.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 am

Climber : Summit Open Shot

Hang on: Millenium M7 with 4 20" Muddy Pro Sticks
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am

Stand and sticks- muddy advantage stand with a batwing mod. Then i got two lone wolf like sticks(homemade) with muddy pro stick parts. Then i pack 3 muddy 20” prosticks on top of those not a bad set up. A little heavy but not a bad set up!

Climber - lone wolf sit and climb II

I like the climber but when i started hunting beast style i really find its hard to find a tree thats limbless, so ive gradully started packing stand and sticks all the time!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”