Bridge Big Woods Public Hunt Update

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Bridge Big Woods Public Hunt Update

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:03 am

Hawthorne wrote:Good write up! You bigwoods guys have my respect.

Thanks for the comment- we have some excellent big woods hunters here on the Beast. I always look forward to their posts!

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 pm

I also hav eland in northern WIs . in Price co. Where I am it is very heavy wet soil. It grows very big bucks but it takes at least 5 yrs. There are some problems there that keep them form getting old enough. First and foremost I am sure poachers take about half the trophy bucks. This may seem judgmental or like I am jealous. I am not. It is all but a fact. I knew a kid that had 4 darn nice big bucks on the wall by the time he was 19. We met up at a neighbors house and he whispered to me " I had a nice 8 point come into the corn but I couldn't line the flashlight with the scope" as he was laughing like I should be impressed. The warden also caught a guy in his cabin 5 yrs back . Warden walked up to the cabin and saw a loaded crossbow looking over a corn pile , pumpkins and a corn feeder with over head lights on the cabin roof. I have heard many shots at night during gun season but like Singing Bridge it is down but by me it is way down. And baiting is the problem . As for bug bucks they are there. The heavy soil might be part of the equation . I see in Singing Bridges pics that it looks like sand country with all the pines . That won't grow many big bucks unless there is farms around. A 1.5 yr buck is almost always a spike. The deer by me are bigger than Singing 's deer picks. As for the does, they are just huge and most likely 5 yrs old or more. I was looking at one by the cabin and watched a doe and said if it was a 12 point 20" spread you'd never think it had a small body. Yes, I put corn out for the deer, no under no circumstances have I ever poached one , ever, honest. Id be ashamed . Very interesting thread. Singing Bridge, if you are looking for new hunting grounds you may want to look for heavier soil if possible.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 am

ihookem wrote:I also hav eland in northern WIs . in Price co. Where I am it is very heavy wet soil. It grows very big bucks but it takes at least 5 yrs. There are some problems there that keep them form getting old enough. First and foremost I am sure poachers take about half the trophy bucks. This may seem judgmental or like I am jealous. I am not. It is all but a fact. I knew a kid that had 4 darn nice big bucks on the wall by the time he was 19. We met up at a neighbors house and he whispered to me " I had a nice 8 point come into the corn but I couldn't line the flashlight with the scope" as he was laughing like I should be impressed. The warden also caught a guy in his cabin 5 yrs back . Warden walked up to the cabin and saw a loaded crossbow looking over a corn pile , pumpkins and a corn feeder with over head lights on the cabin roof. I have heard many shots at night during gun season but like Singing Bridge it is down but by me it is way down. And baiting is the problem . As for bug bucks they are there. The heavy soil might be part of the equation . I see in Singing Bridges pics that it looks like sand country with all the pines . That won't grow many big bucks unless there is farms around. A 1.5 yr buck is almost always a spike. The deer by me are bigger than Singing 's deer picks. As for the does, they are just huge and most likely 5 yrs old or more. I was looking at one by the cabin and watched a doe and said if it was a 12 point 20" spread you'd never think it had a small body. Yes, I put corn out for the deer, no under no circumstances have I ever poached one , ever, honest. Id be ashamed . Very interesting thread. Singing Bridge, if you are looking for new hunting grounds you may want to look for heavier soil if possible.

I remember being in that general area grouse hunting 15-20 years ago and doing a little deer hunting evenings as well. Folks at the bar at the resort we were staying flat out told us, only way to kill bucks up there was with a spotlight and bait at night. I think it's just part of the culture. We stuck to the grouse after that.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:58 am

Its worse now that everyone has a crossbow.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 am

I hate to say it but with crossbows poaching seems to be on the rise. You just aim, and shoot, no sound at all. I think crossbow should have a separate season like muzzleloading , 10 days and thats it , unless you are disabled. Some day I might not be able to pull back my compound form rotator cuff injuries. I am only at 49 pounds and had a tough time when I shot my doe on Nov. 13. I get stiff real fast. Also , Kraftd, what bar was that? I know of a big buck contest where some a deer camp came up with a real bruiser about ten yrs ago . The guys doing the contest " caught wind that it was poached" . So the guys get together and say , we need a bigger buck to kick this poacher out of the contest. A weeks goes buy and they came up with one even bigger. The guy telling me what happened said " I dont know how they came up with an even bigger one , , , and I dont want to know neither " and then laughed bunch.
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:55 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Thanks Jm and Jonny

Almost forgot this guy... I see a lot of bobcats in the remote, deep swamp areas I hunt. They do not like to be seen and neither do I... guess we have that in common. Most Hunters stay out of the areas I hunt.

A few years back I had a melanistic phase (black) bobcat running around my hunting area. I was priveledged to see him up close- I believe a hunter seeing a black bobcat is rather rare.

I hunt in Alabama and saw one a couple of years ago. Quite rare indeed
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 pm

ihookem wrote:I also hav eland in northern WIs . in Price co. Where I am it is very heavy wet soil. It grows very big bucks but it takes at least 5 yrs. There are some problems there that keep them form getting old enough. First and foremost I am sure poachers take about half the trophy bucks. This may seem judgmental or like I am jealous. I am not. It is all but a fact. I knew a kid that had 4 darn nice big bucks on the wall by the time he was 19. We met up at a neighbors house and he whispered to me " I had a nice 8 point come into the corn but I couldn't line the flashlight with the scope" as he was laughing like I should be impressed. The warden also caught a guy in his cabin 5 yrs back . Warden walked up to the cabin and saw a loaded crossbow looking over a corn pile , pumpkins and a corn feeder with over head lights on the cabin roof. I have heard many shots at night during gun season but like Singing Bridge it is down but by me it is way down. And baiting is the problem . As for bug bucks they are there. The heavy soil might be part of the equation . I see in Singing Bridges pics that it looks like sand country with all the pines . That won't grow many big bucks unless there is farms around. A 1.5 yr buck is almost always a spike. The deer by me are bigger than Singing 's deer picks. As for the does, they are just huge and most likely 5 yrs old or more. I was looking at one by the cabin and watched a doe and said if it was a 12 point 20" spread you'd never think it had a small body. Yes, I put corn out for the deer, no under no circumstances have I ever poached one , ever, honest. Id be ashamed . Very interesting thread. Singing Bridge, if you are looking for new hunting grounds you may want to look for heavier soil if possible.

Great post- heavier soils will definitely make an impact. I sacrifice quality for tradition in this particular area, at least overall.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:15 am

Our 10 day muzzleloader season wraps up tomorrow and it immediately followed our 2 week gun season. This made most of the Bucks I'm hunting pretty nocturnal... but it also moved some good Bucks into my Swamps. A lot of the younger Bucks I've watched got blazed on bait during gun season. Bait was pretty ineffective on the two eight points I've watched and the 10 point made it thru.

All the pressure moved a new, big 8 into the swamp and he is a target,

Better yet I have an absolute Beast that has relocated to this swamp 10 days ago. I first noted his arrival with Oversized tracks and droppings. Yesterday I located 3 new, buzz saw rubs with great height. All of his sign he leaves is in a different class when compared to the 3.5 year olds and younger.

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:54 am

Wow, if that sign doesn't get a guy pumped up.

Not sure how much more hunting you will do with your muzzle season winding down, but hope you catch up the monster wrecking these trees!

Good luck and thanks for another great thread.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 am

Go get em Scott!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 am

Kill him Scott !!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm

P&YBuck1 wrote:Wow, if that sign doesn't get a guy pumped up.

Not sure how much more hunting you will do with your muzzle season winding down, but hope you catch up the monster wrecking these trees!

Good luck and thanks for another great thread.

Thanks PY1

Having time to hunt is always an issue for me. I have extensive knowledge of this swamp and can anticipate his bedding. It may come down to a make or break bed hunt if I have the time. As the gap widens after our gun seasons I typically see better daylight movement. Timing and weather conditions will play a large role.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Good luck SB! I hope you run into that buck...I bet he's a dandy.
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:32 pm

I had a bobcat stalk a doe and a fawn 15 yds from my tree. The deer bolted and out popped this bobcat. One of the coolest hunts ever.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 am

Well... due to my advancement at work, I never had time to hunt after that last pic. I do still have a couple of cams out and I'm hoping I caught at least one of the two mature Bucks on camera.

Man, I really need to retire to a life of hunting and fishing! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”