**LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: **LIVE FROM THE FIELD - 2017**

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 am

The wind shifted just as expected and my loop coming in worked perfect. All set up in the tree I should have been on Monday. Almost feels warm out here today. Sunny, 10 degrees and light wind from the warm direction.....southwest. 8-)

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:38 am

Good luck Dewey! I’m after a doe with a broken front leg tonight. Guessing it was a car hit. If a slob buck showed up that’d be cool too. Today’s wind did not work well for the buck I’m after. Will be after him tomorrow
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 am

Not bad temps today. Winds good. Glad to be out. Wish the sign was better
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 am

Heard a few unidentified deer moving thru that cattails and that was it. I just had to give that spot one more sit. The buck I missed Monday never seen or winded me so I was hoping he would repeat his route. Stranger things have happened. You just never know.

One more day. Nothing like taking it right down to the wire. :lol:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:54 am

Thawing out after my last hunt of the year. It was a pretty good season :D
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Had a shed buck at 30 yards today on IA public. Decent pedicles, so probably 3 or older.
mparsley

Unread postby mparsley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Got my final buck of the year this afternoon. It has been frigid for Tennessee and has put the deer into a pretty steady pattern. One of the most enjoyable years that I have had. I have been able to see and pass numerous deer and I have never been able to really do that. Even this deer, I saw him last year multiple times bedded. Passed him last year as a large 7 bedded in the same location that I got him today and on the same pattern. He bedded in this location because it was close to the field he was working toward. This year he grew to a tall 8. I am getting the hang of this bed hunting and it makes hunting much more fun seeing deer. Sorry for the bad pic, no one to take picture with me.

walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Nice deer.mparsley
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Great buck mparsely. I know the weather forecast for WI on this Sunday is suppose to be considerably warmer. Maybe this "change" in weather might want to make the deer come out early. Who knows. Season ends tomorrow. Good luck
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Only one doe & 2 turkeys for me tonight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Congrats mparsley
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm

mparsley wrote:Got my final buck of the year this afternoon. It has been frigid for Tennessee and has put the deer into a pretty steady pattern. One of the most enjoyable years that I have had. I have been able to see and pass numerous deer and I have never been able to really do that. Even this deer, I saw him last year multiple times bedded. Passed him last year as a large 7 bedded in the same location that I got him today and on the same pattern. He bedded in this location because it was close to the field he was working toward. This year he grew to a tall 8. I am getting the hang of this bed hunting and it makes hunting much more fun seeing deer. Sorry for the bad pic, no one to take picture with me.

Great buck. Congrats. 8-)
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 pm

mparsley wrote:Got my final buck of the year this afternoon. It has been frigid for Tennessee and has put the deer into a pretty steady pattern. One of the most enjoyable years that I have had. I have been able to see and pass numerous deer and I have never been able to really do that. Even this deer, I saw him last year multiple times bedded. Passed him last year as a large 7 bedded in the same location that I got him today and on the same pattern. He bedded in this location because it was close to the field he was working toward. This year he grew to a tall 8. I am getting the hang of this bed hunting and it makes hunting much more fun seeing deer. Sorry for the bad pic, no one to take picture with me.

Way to go man!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 am

I headed in extra early today to savor my last day on stand. Been sitting a few hours already. Always a little sad knowing that the season is coming to an end. I had some great opportunities this season that I did not capitalize on. Hoping for one more chance to redeem myself today. :pray:

I’ll post pics in a little bit. PostImage has been giving me issues again.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:13 am

Main bedding is straight ahead.

Bucks that leave that bed walk down this tree line that I’m sitting on.

I’m surrounded by nothing but cattails and what is usually flooded timber. Killed a number of my biggest bucks within 200 yards of here. When the seasons on the line gotta go with a spot I have ultra high confidence in. Sign looks good. Lot’s of activity from early this morning after the snow fell. Best part is tracks lead into bedding and none coming out. Large tracks along with smaller tracks that branch out to a doe/fawn bedding area and the large tracks to the main primary buck bedding area.

Amazing how good 20 degrees feels even though it’s windy with strong gusts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”