Saw this on Facebook with Michael Waddell

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Saw this on Facebook with Michael Waddell

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 am

Sounds like Oprah. ..
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:00 am

Think a lot of the problem, is the general public who watch these shows obsession with giant antlers. The obsession exceeded what deer can naturally grow, so they had to be created just to feed the sickness. Over all agreed with his message, just feel it is possibly to late, the majority of hunters especially the new younger ones don't have a clue what true hunting is in the first place. Shaking hands with a farmer and doing work on the farm for hunting permission was cast aside along time ago and replaced by auctions to the highest bidder. Friendships and high fives amongst hunters for a good kill went south cause the buck wasn't old enough or hunters equipment choices. Crackling campfires that once stirred a young hunters imagination as he listened to stories are no longer burning due to being sold a bil of goods that u gotta be scent free. All this is created by the industry. Did find it funny how he snuck that G5 drop in there lol.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Think a lot of the problem, is the general public who watch these shows obsession with giant antlers. The obsession exceeded what deer can naturally grow, so they had to be created just to feed the sickness. Over all agreed with his message, just feel it is possibly to late, the majority of hunters especially the new younger ones don't have a clue what true hunting is in the first place. Shaking hands with a farmer and doing work on the farm for hunting permission was cast aside along time ago and replaced by auctions to the highest bidder. Friendships and high fives amongst hunters for a good kill went south cause the buck wasn't old enough or hunters equipment choices. Crackling campfires that once stirred a young hunters imagination as he listened to stories are no longer burning due to being sold a bil of goods that u gotta be scent free. All this is created by the industry. Did find it funny how he snuck that G5 drop in there lol.

You are %100 right. We've met kids over the years that came up to the booth and were telling us about a nice 3 year old that they passed or a "small" 120" buck they killed. One of these kids couldn't have been more than 10 or 11 years old.

As in any industry, there are good and not-so-good people. Michael seems like a genuine guy for the most part. Hopefully he strives to become part of the solution.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Think a lot of the problem, is the general public who watch these shows obsession with giant antlers. The obsession exceeded what deer can naturally grow, so they had to be created just to feed the sickness. Over all agreed with his message, just feel it is possibly to late, the majority of hunters especially the new younger ones don't have a clue what true hunting is in the first place. Shaking hands with a farmer and doing work on the farm for hunting permission was cast aside along time ago and replaced by auctions to the highest bidder. Friendships and high fives amongst hunters for a good kill went south cause the buck wasn't old enough or hunters equipment choices. Crackling campfires that once stirred a young hunters imagination as he listened to stories are no longer burning due to being sold a bil of goods that u gotta be scent free. All this is created by the industry. Did find it funny how he snuck that G5 drop in there lol.

We have all been influenced by it to some extent.

Honestly, this place here is the only place I share my love of hunting on. Its the only truly respectful place I have found to share with other like minded individuals.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 am

Aaron1987 wrote:

You are %100 right. We've met kids over the years that came up to the booth and were telling us about a nice 3 year old that they passed or a "small" 120" buck they killed. One of these kids couldn't have been more than 10 or 11 years old.

As in any industry, there are good and not-so-good people. Michael seems like a genuine guy for the most part. Hopefully he strives to become part of the solution.

I think a lot of this is emulated though with them wanting to be like guys on TV. Even good role model guys. Even guys on the hunting beast. Many times, its because mature deer hunters choose to share there stories and passions...and killing small bucks is not part of it. But kids don't realize that it has taken years for someone to get to that spot.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:47 am

this is why follow Dan and joined his forum. his dvds and this place is reality hunting
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:58 am

While I generally agree with the premise of the rant I think any authenticity there is rooted in declining revenue from his personal hunting ventures. Just maybe if he placed more emphasis on basic woodsmanship skills and less on hawking useless junk he wouldn't be such a part of the perceived problem.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Aaron1987 wrote:

I think a lot of this is emulated though with them wanting to be like guys on TV. Even good role model guys. Even guys on the hunting beast. Many times, its because mature deer hunters choose to share there stories and passions...and killing small bucks is not part of it. But kids don't realize that it has taken years for someone to get to that spot.

I agree. Often times parents or mentors are also influenced by the TV guys. This way of thinking trickles down to the younger kids and they begin to foster unrealistic expectations of what hunting is. Perception is a very powerful thing.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 am

I like it. I hope more of those guys come out with similar messages. Now only if they’d take some of the invites from their fans to go hunt their public land with them.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 am

elk yinzer wrote:While I generally agree with the premise of the rant I think any authenticity there is rooted in declining revenue from his personal hunting ventures. Just maybe if he placed more emphasis on basic woodsmanship skills and less on hawking useless junk he wouldn't be such a part of the perceived problem.

Well said. Sounds to me like a general act of defense for his standing ground in the industry.
Nevertheless what he said was true.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 am

elk yinzer wrote:While I generally agree with the premise of the rant I think any authenticity there is rooted in declining revenue from his personal hunting ventures. Just maybe if he placed more emphasis on basic woodsmanship skills and less on hawking useless junk he wouldn't be such a part of the perceived problem.

MAN you hit the nail right on the head Yinzer! My thoughts exactly!

His wallet is clearly hurting so he's trying to come up with a solution, in part by making his rant.

NOW FOR MY RANT!!!!

Personally I think it's obvious that the hunting industry bubble has been peaked out in popularity for a few years ago and is starting to go the other way in the last few years. I'm 30 years old now. I'll admit... at 18-20 years old I idolized guys like him and Lee Lakosky. I watched the Outdoor Channel a lot and so did all my buddies. I looked up at Lee especially, he owns 6,000+ acres, has his own show, shoots monster bucks constantly, has a hot wife who also hunts. I know many guys like me and my friends wanted to be him or be like him. My generation supported these guys for years.

Now... 10 years later I think that my age group or generation or whatever is starting to tear the "BIG HUNTING INDUSTRY" down now. We've matured as people and as hunters and since realized that you don't need all this equipment and crap that they advertise. You don't need all 500 products that Lakosky or Waddell hashtag in every single kill post on Facebook to go out and kill a buck. I've learned that you can't buy success but instead you need to go out and get what you want on your own. I have a few nice buck kills of my own now. I don't have 6,000 private acres all to myself but I do have 60,000 public acres and all thanks to Dan Infalt I kind of feel like I have that too myself because I know how to hunt it correctly now. He's put me in the game. I have my own hot wife now. I went out and worked hard for myself. That last part about my wife isn't b/c of Dan btw... The Dan and all you guys on the beast actually make her kind of mad... :lol: :lol: kidding...

But all joking aside, I can remember a couple years ago watching TV with my buddies and we started talking, "Hey can you imagine how cool of a show it'd be to have someone go around to public areas in various states and cyber scout/scout and hunt it and show how they went about hunting a buck." I think that's a show you could put on TV and you would have huge ratings. But that'll never happen b/c financially in theory it wouldn't move product. But in all actuality I guarantee it would move MORE product than like never before. It would move all products as a whole and not individual brands/products that guys try and show off as you see done now on TV. Now days I don't even care about TV shows...

I got lucky one day Googling public land hunting found Dan and the beast.

END OF MY RANT!!!!! :roll:
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am

What is he trying to say exactly? Maybe I'm missing his point. If viewers go elsewhere it may be the content. I don't feel a need to support hunting shows I don't enjoy because we need to "stick together." That's nonsense.

I haven't had cable tv for eight years but will go out of my way to watch shows I really enjoy. Steve Rinella and his show Meat Eater is an example. Randy Newberg's show is another.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 am

I'm glad he admitted. I haven't watched a television hunting show in 2-3 years, they've lost me as a consumer. It may be too late, I know there are many others like me who have turned off the tv. I honestly have no clue what brand names in hunting are being promoted right now.

What Michael Waddell fails to mention (and possibly realize) is the growing numbers of hunters who see through all the industry garbage and are now tuning in to realistic hunting media that they can relate to. Just because consumers no longer tune in to cable hunting shows measured by metrics does not mean they lost interest in hunting...many have made the switch to realistic hunting media. I believe a big part of hunting industry revenue declining is that hunters realize they can be just as successful without spending money. It doesn't mean we quit hunting. Hunting is a sport not an industry.

The Hunting Beast, The Hunting Public, Whitetail Adrenaline, and other realistic hunting media are light years ahead of the "industry" in realizing what the general public truly wants to see. I salute those who have the guts to portray the struggles of realistic hunting, while probably sacrificing the gain of sponsorship dollars in the process.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 am

Yep I think elk and others nailed it, a nice rant but he might be more interested in self preservation. I think many guys are abandoning the hunting shows in favor of YouTubers and real hunting instead of TV hunting. Kind of like how many of us followed the public land guys on Midwest Whitetail before they went out on their own. Who wants to support big $$$ hunting when can support the little people and public land guys who actually contribute to this site.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”