Remembering Big Woods stand locations??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tree Jockey
Facebook: Curt Simpkins

Remembering Big Woods stand locations??

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Curious about some of your different methods for finding trees you have picked to hunt in early spring while scouting and then finding them 6 months later when season starts . I am getting a list of quite a few spots in very large tracts of woods that i have never hunted before. Don't want to walk in a mile or 2 to that first tree and miss it by 50 yards an have to circle back around to find it. Usually pretty good at finding my trees but I'm going to have quite a few new spots on new ground. Do you mark them in some way or make maps with notes gps???

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Remembering Big Woods stand locations??

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Gps gets me where I need to go every time. Next is a compass and the ole noggin
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Memory and GPS. As I get older the GPS gets used more and more. The ole memory just ain’t what it used to be. :lol:
Tree Jockey
Facebook: Curt Simpkins

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Hahaha yea I must be getting old. I'm questioning rather I can do it all by memory the first time to the stand. Might be a sign to get my Garmin out more.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm

It can be quite an adventure in the mornings until I hunt it about 3 times then I am good unless it is foggy. Not so much finding the exact tree because gps is amazing for that, but navigating around laurel, rocks, and thick stuff without sounding like a herd of rhinos can be a challenge in the dark.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Google maps with my phone.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Tree Jockey wrote:Curious about some of your different methods for finding trees you have picked to hunt in early spring while scouting and then finding them 6 months later when season starts . I am getting a list of quite a few spots in very large tracts of woods that i have never hunted before. Don't want to walk in a mile or 2 to that first tree and miss it by 50 yards an have to circle back around to find it. Usually pretty good at finding my trees but I'm going to have quite a few new spots on new ground. Do you mark them in some way or make maps with notes gps???

Walking around in the dark looking for your tree builds character :P . Did it many a time before GPS's or smartphones, or google earth. The good old days, when you had a compass and your woodsmanship to rely on. In 41 years of hunting, I just bought my first GPS a couple of weeks ago.

The short answer...GPS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Tree Jockey wrote:Curious about some of your different methods for finding trees you have picked to hunt in early spring while scouting and then finding them 6 months later when season starts . I am getting a list of quite a few spots in very large tracts of woods that i have never hunted before. Don't want to walk in a mile or 2 to that first tree and miss it by 50 yards an have to circle back around to find it. Usually pretty good at finding my trees but I'm going to have quite a few new spots on new ground. Do you mark them in some way or make maps with notes gps???

Walking around in the dark looking for your tree builds character :P . Did it many a time before GPS's or smartphones, or google earth. The good old days, when you had a compass and your woodsmanship to rely on. In 41 years of hunting, I just bought my first GPS a couple of weeks ago.

The short answer...GPS.

I have done that one my fair share. THAT gives you confidence when you crawl up into the tree that you just walked 50-60 yards around it on ALL sides.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm

HuntStand and Scoutlook on the phone, and occasionally I'll throw a tack in a morning tree.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:07 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Google maps with my phone.

Same here. I am gettin a gps though. In case my phone takes a crap
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 am

I usually can find them no problem, but if I need help I mark them on my phone (Backcountry Navigator) and use it to navigate once I get close. Sometimes I will put a reflecting trail tack in a tree, but this has also led to people finding my spots, and in one case stealing my stuff. If I use trail tacks now I usually put them very low at ground level where most people will not notice them.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 am

Basically memory. I have used my phone before just to pinpoint a general area on entrance but overall I think back to my scout of the area. A lot of times because of the wind I don't end up in the exact tree I picked, wind speed and angle can change things in a hurry so it doesn't hurt to be flexible.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 am

mostly memory gps is to expensive and heavy foliage blocks satellites
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am

gps and then spots get transferred to a kml so I can keep a history of them to remap in caltopo or google earth.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 am

My GPS, what I did not like about it...was how long it took to update my direction. Maybe things are different now. My phone, when I turn, it moves. So I can get EXACT directions not ones that lag.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”