Saw this on Facebook with Michael Waddell

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mgaspari

Re: Saw this on Facebook with Michael Waddell

Unread postby Mgaspari » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 pm

The shows became too “unrealistic “ when THEY started defining what a trophy is. It taught, for lack of a better word, the viewers that only certain deer could meet that criteria. If your heart starts pounding and your knees are shaking then it’s a trophy; doesn’t matter size, sex or age. How many times do you see a post with “it’s not the biggest” or something like that? Or other people respond with “I would have passed on it but good buck”. I helped a guy out last year with some spots to hunt, he ended up killing three does. When he told me the story of each one you would have thought he had won the lottery. The passion and enthusiasm was absolutely crazy. All I thought when he was telling me this was “that’s what it’s all about”. That’s the problem with TV hunters.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't really get too concerned what TV celebrities do or don't do I suppose. I also try not to fault them for the direction that they have headed. Its really easy to sit back and judge "how easy" and how "untalented" these celebs are. No matter where we turn, we cannot get away from comparing ourselves to others. Its human nature.."you see the buck Lee killed this year?" The response? "yeah, well, I am not impressed. If I had the private managed he had..."

I am more concerned with my own kids. I teach my kid that he has to earn the right to shoot this or that. The first deer that comes out, he is shooting. And he is super excited about it. He sees me come home with big deer. You should have seen his eyes light up when I set that shed on the table tonight. I just teach him there is a time and place for chasing big deer...its just not his time or his place yet.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

There is one fatal flaw with hunting in North America as I see it:

Market hunting is banned and shunned but monetization of trophies is legal and acceptable. Virtually all of hunting's self inflicted problems arise from this irony.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm

I thought it was a sincere good post!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 am

Bedbug wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I ramble on about this kinda BS of pushing product prob more than anyone. But my real anger/frustration isn't with the tv host. Truth be told, they show what the public wants to see. If the viewing public changes, I'm sure there show will to.Not so p/o over the gadgetry they push, they have to make a living and put a roof over there head. It's the fact that these manufactures of this junk are the only ones who will sponsor anything hunting related, it's politically incorrect for most to sponsor; like we are doing something shameful out there. I don't even have a prob with the outfitters and guides when there honest about it and not acting like there hunting in the real world. If viewers quit watching and demand real world conditions I'm shure they would do it, and be willing to bet it would be a lot less highlite reel canned kills and a lot more story/tactic filler.

I look forward to the hope that will happen. If these "Industry leaders" could just once Break out of there managed property hunting style it would be something well sought after by viewers OR customer's in waddell's reference.

I personally would pay to watch the learning curve of:
For example the bone collector crew, or Lee & Tiffany.
When they step on to pressured public land or even normal quality private parcels.

I really think lee and tiffany would not even know where to start or look. Especially tiffany. I believe the only thing she would be worried about is what angle the camera is hitting her jubblies sticking out of her half zippered coveralls and the 6 lbs of makeup on her face
What an absolute smack in the face for the average hunter those two brats are lol. Really? Who’s gonna let their half dressed wife sit in an ground blind with another dude really? Its just how stupid the industry thinks we are lol
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 am

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think some are a little hard on him. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he's realizing how much these shows influence hunting especially new hunters. I don't watch these shows much anymore. Mainly because I don't want to pay extra for the sportsmans channel. I have better ways of spending my money. I don't even have cable just an antenna. I prefer watching hunting that is more in line with my real world possibilities. I also hate all the product pushing but they do it so the show can have money to keep running. I think these tv shows will die off not due to a total lack of interest but from more real world hunting on YouTube at little to no cost without being bombarded by products. I think a lot of people like the stories involved in hunting and that's lost on tv in order to show product ads. People also want to learn how to replicate the success they see on these shows. Showing an outfitter putting guys on deer isn't informative. I'd actually like to see these guys with at least some of their shows hunting public land whether or not they're successful. I loved watching the hunting public episode when they got so pumped for another hunter who shot a buck some of the TV guys would scoff at. It's not about the size all the time it's about the commaraderie, fun and stories you gain while hunting. Every hunter had their own goals and shouldn't be put down by others who don't share their same goals. I hope he was sincere and the hunting industry takes a long look at themselves.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 am

We maybe too hard on some of these guys. The Lakoskys, I believe to be good, quality people just from some of their in person promos....I could be wrong but when Tiffany remembers my buddies daughter’s name from the previous year at the same event- I think that says something. Additionally, we typically can tell when someone is being genuine and when we are being handed a bunch of bs. I’ve had both experiences in meeting these tv hunters. Like waddle said, many of these guys are just like us but they for whatever reason got some opportunities that most others don’t. IMO the guys that earned it and not had it given to them like Lee are the good ones. The ones that simply bought into the business is where the problems are. I also believe that Lee and a few others would do just fine on the public that we hunt. You have to understand that Lee pushed all his chips in the middle of the table for deer hunting he quit a great job and moved he and Tiffany down to Iowa to chase huge bucks. Now he’s got a deer hunting Mecca and a pair of pretty awesome..... :shock: because of his hard work and chance he took on himself.
On the other side- there are the bad ones....shooting deer behind high a fence, poaching, hunting outside of the regs. This stuff and the guys that do it are no good for anybody to watch. These are the shows that’ll disappear.
In the end, The lakoskys will be there, the kiskies (spelling?) The hunting public and chase nation guys are going to experience s huge increase in viewership. The beast will continue to grow. This is what we the viewers want to see. Limited scripts, limited product plugs, just hunting
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am

Just us by us for us show and told by us.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 am

Sounds like Micheal has read the writing on the wall. :violin:
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 am

Im not tuning in to see any show that has 20 minutes of commercials(trying to sell us stuff that doesn't work or we don't need), 8 min of quiet talking in the stand, a kill shot and a 2 minute happy dance. Mike
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 am

mspaci wrote:Im not tuning in to see any show that has 20 minutes of commercials(trying to sell us stuff that doesn't work or we don't need), 8 min of quiet talking in the stand, a kill shot and a 2 minute happy dance. Mike

You just gave away the plot for every single hunting show on TV. :lol:
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 am

Dewey wrote:
mspaci wrote:Im not tuning in to see any show that has 20 minutes of commercials(trying to sell us stuff that doesn't work or we don't need), 8 min of quiet talking in the stand, a kill shot and a 2 minute happy dance. Mike

You just gave away the plot for every single hunting show on TV. :lol:

Don't forget footage of filling up with gas and a view of sponsor stickers on the truck windows. Dan should throw a gas fill up into the farm country dvd to keep us honest
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Watching someone hunt with an outfitter or on highly managed lands from a shooting house, doesn't interest me at all !!!

I like the How, Why & When. I could care less if there's a kill in the video! If it teaches me something, to help me be a better hunter than I'm all in!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Did you ever here lee and tiffanys podcast on wired to hunt. They (esp lee) put a ton of time and effort into hunting. The manage there land very meticulously and work very hard at it. Might b a different kind of work but work none the less. Lee was puttn down good bucks in mn before he bought a farm in iowa
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Refuse to watch shows like that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”