sheds from same buck in same bed

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:57 am

how many people have found sheds in beds from same deer year after year

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: sheds from same buck in same bed

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 am

Never found them in the exact same bed but I have found them in the bedding area. I know of one off the top of my head I found in the same bedding area on back to back years from same deer. They were roughly 75 yards or so apart from one year to the next but the deer was definitely using the same cover to bed in.

Here it is a big matter of what type of weather we are experiencing. Have had a couple mild winters and the deer don’t seem to stack up as close to the food as they do on these years where the weather has been pretty cold. Lot of the deer are laying close by to the best food in the area. Pressure really falls off after muzzleloader goes out so the last two weeks of season the deer are not nearly as pressured. That’s just around here. Lot of variables from one place to the other.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am

After 4yrs of age... most bucks core area (bedding) tends to shrink IMO. Buddies and I have found up to 5yrs of sheds on the same buck. Many we have followed for 2-3yr range.... 4-6yr old
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 am

Bucky wrote:After 4yrs of age... most bucks core area (bedding) tends to shrink IMO. Buddies and I have found up to 5yrs of sheds on the same buck. Many we have followed for 2-3yr range.... 4-6yr old

What is you guys experience with big sheds with heavy mass...see them carry one side for awhile or because of he weight do they tend to shake them off and be close to the first? Shed weighs close to 3#.

Spent 2hrs this morning looking for matching side. Buck is 6 or 7. No sheds in his beds. The one side I found was 60yds from a food source, 60yds behind someones house. What worries me is the shed was on a trail headed to their back yard and when I followed, I found apples. If the shed fell in the persons yard, no way they would have missed it. I may be knocking on their door.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 am

ghoasthunter wrote:how many people have found sheds in beds from same deer year after year

I find sheds in beds....but I am not much of a shed hunter. But I am finding sheds on the same area of the property for 3 seasons now.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Bucky wrote:After 4yrs of age... most bucks core area (bedding) tends to shrink IMO. Buddies and I have found up to 5yrs of sheds on the same buck. Many we have followed for 2-3yr range.... 4-6yr old
I'm finding the same all are real remote mountain and swamp bucks. beds are bullet proof any wind beds.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:

What is you guys experience with big sheds with heavy mass...see them carry one side for awhile or because of he weight do they tend to shake them off and be close to the first? Shed weighs close to 3#.

Spent 2hrs this morning looking for matching side. Buck is 6 or 7. No sheds in his beds. The one side I found was 60yds from a food source, 60yds behind someones house. What worries me is the shed was on a trail headed to their back yard and when I followed, I found apples. If the shed fell in the persons yard, no way they would have missed it. I may be knocking on their door.
I have found fresh big sheds in snow and tracked the buck close to a mile before he dropped his other side both sheds were about 55 in of bone a peice
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 pm

Not the same bed but from one particular buck I found 5 of his matched sets(2, 3, 4, 6 and 10 year old sets) and one of his singles(5 year old left side) and a neighbor found 2 of his singles (7 year old left side and 9 year old right) and thru the years all were found in a 250-300 yard circle.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 am

Behind a local development I found one buck 3 years in a row with in about 50 yards of each other. Found him as an 8, smaller 10 and big 10. The next year I found an arrow and no more sheds.... :think:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:53 am

Same bedding area, yes, same bed, no. I picked up the right shed off my biggest kill (score wise) the year before I shot him out of a bed I watched him in many times the year before, and I actually shot him in that bed. One of my other large bucks I found four of his sheds from 3 seasons in the same bedding area.
I agree with bucky, it gets more consistent with age.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”