elk bugling question

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

elk bugling question

Postby magicman54494 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:47 am

So I'm watching the elk hunting u tube videos that stash recommended as I'm canning venison and I have a (probably stupid) question concerning calling elk. It seems like hunters are calling other hunters quite often. Why don't the hunters come up with a universally accepted call that they can use to identify if it is another hunter? Seems like it would save a lot of unnecessary encounters with other hunters.

kyrie eleison

The best hunting plan you can have is an open mind
tbunao
500 Club

Re: elk bugling question

Postby tbunao » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

I read something on elk101’s forum about this. The common theme was experienced elk hunters can tell if its another hunter. Makes sense but I’m not 100% sure as I don’t know the credibility of the responders. Only way I can relate is the turkey woods, most of the time but not all the time you can tell the difference between a hen and a hunter
Grabbing the brass ring
stash59

Postby stash59 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Lotta variables. Distance, terrain, thickness of vegetation. All affects how far a bugle carries, even how it sounds. Some humans are really, really good callers. Some elk are really really bad callers. One trick I'd do is if I thought a bugle was a human. I would cow call softly at first. Then get a little louder. Most people wouldn't bugle back at cow calls. They were only interested in finding a bull. Real bulls may or may not call back to cow calls but if they did. I knew it was game on.

Glad your watching the videos. And hope your enjoying them.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
elk yinzer

Postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 am

Can't say that's been an issue for me. Haven't ran into too many people on my elk hunts, but the few I have it was pretty easy to tell, mostly because the hunters were bugling from the ridgetops but the elk aren't up there, they are down in the dark crapholes. Most of the time I don't do much locator bugling, I wait for the bulls to give themselves up anyway.
OldMtnMan

Postby OldMtnMan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I have my own solution. I don't call or go to calls. It's worked for me for 60 years of elk hunting.

Return to “Big Game Hunting”