Airbow? Where does it stop?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Airbow? Where does it stop?

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 am

Maybe this has been discussed before but I just learned about it last night. A "bow" that shoots 450fps and uses compressed air to fire an arrow. Seems far superior to a crossbow as I watched a guy shoot a target at 200yds. Product innovations continue to push the envelope but I worry what this may mean for the future of bowhunting. I'm fine with using it for a gun season but not bow. What are your thoughts? Will these end up being the step above crossbows just like xbow were to compounds and compounds were to recurves?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Airbow? Where does it stop?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 am

It won't ever stop! The trend in hunting is a faster easier way, any year now manufactures will throw enough money around to get them into archery only season. And then companies will be plotting on something even easier, it will never stop unless hunters put more into the challenge than the kill in my opinion
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 am

I want as airbow for back yard stray cats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 am

Google earth has "killed" more animals than any air bow ever will.

Nobody is screaming about that technology being an unfair advantage.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Maybe this has been discussed before but I just learned about it last night. A "bow" that shoots 450fps and uses compressed air to fire an arrow. Seems far superior to a crossbow as I watched a guy shoot a target at 200yds. Product innovations continue to push the envelope but I worry what this may mean for the future of bowhunting. I'm fine with using it for a gun season but not bow. What are your thoughts? Will these end up being the step above crossbows just like xbow were to compounds and compounds were to recurves?

Technology marches on. It will never end.

A compound broke the 400fps mark in 2010 (XLR8) so it won't be long before they are shooting 450fps. Practical for hunting probably not yet but it's coming.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am

Couldn't care less. How many times do you actually see deer 200 yards away and have a shot, considering you are hunting bedding areas. Only people it will benefit are the farmers and private guys who have lots of open land. Even then, deer will adapt and will stay in thicker areas.

Still have to get in range of deer and get a shot. Deer adapted to the increase of range with compounds, crossbows and rifles. I think they will be just fine
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 am

Bowonly wrote:Google earth has "killed" more animals than any air bow ever will.

I can't really speak on google earth I've never owned a computer just got a smart phone last year lol! But I don't see how it would have gave me a opportunity at a buck I didn't get from simple aerial photos or boots on the ground. I am well aware of the fact a hunter can convince himself anything is right and find something that backs it up if he tries hard enough ( myself included). If u believe anything that shoots a arrow is considered archery u are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is archery used to be a close range game that seperated us from the rest. That was the whole point of a archery only season and not just a anything goes season. I have pretty much given up on the legacy of bowhunting and just keep waiting every year for the newest latest and greatest designed to take the challenge out of it.
-John Wayne-
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 am

Some folks see these things and think their public spots will be overrun with hoopleheads next year, but I don't see this contraption changing the downward trend of overall hunter participation.

:violin:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am

Bowonly wrote:Google earth has "killed" more animals than any air bow ever will.

So true about google earth.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 am

Well ill say it
It might be still allowed when oprah and the bleeding heart liberals takes our guns away in 2020. Lmao.
I don’t oppose it because hunters will always trend back and forth to favorite tactics or weapons chose to harvest an animal. Besides the air gun is not new i seen it back probably 5-6 years ago somewhere. I really dont think it will ever take off
Its actually on sale in sportsmans guide for i think aorund 1500$
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am

sureshotscott wrote:Some folks see these things and think their public spots will be overrun with hoopleheads next year, but I don't see this contraption changing the downward trend of overall hunter participation.

:violin:

I agree and think whats the point of a archery season lets just go all out whatever anyone wants to shoot season and be done with it. Don't see that effecting hunter participation eithier but atleast there wouldn't be anything to gripe about between archery groups. But it won't happen cause the people who would shoot a air bow would use a gun and a manufacture would only sell one item instead of 2.
-John Wayne-
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:

I can't really speak on google earth I've never owned a computer just got a smart phone last year lol! But I don't see how it would have gave me a opportunity at a buck I didn't get from simple aerial photos or boots on the ground. I am well aware of the fact a hunter can convince himself anything is right and find something that backs it up if he tries hard enough ( myself included). If u believe anything that shoots a arrow is considered archery u are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is archery used to be a close range game that seperated us from the rest. That was the whole point of a archery only season and not just a anything goes season. I have pretty much given up on the legacy of bowhunting and just keep waiting every year for the newest latest and greatest designed to take the challenge out of it.

Where the "legacy" of bowhunting lies could be a thread all in itself. My point is, 99% of us use a tremendous amount more technology than any deer hunter had access to just 30 years ago.

I think it's up to the individual to determine what experience they're after.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Fred Bear is rolling in his grave... :snooty:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 pm

most of your average joe hunters ain’t gonna spend 1500 on an airbow. Even if they do you STILL gotta be close to make a kill. So what that you can shoot it 200 yards? That arrow hits one little twig and it’s thrown off. My crossbow can shoot 100 easily...I’ve done it. It’s fun and all but I’d never shoot a deer that far. 40 yards is a long way here with the risk of hitting a twig or limb. Crossbows haven’t ruined archery yet. It still takes skill to get that close to make a kill. Ok so I don’t have to draw back. Well guess what? Most of the time I hunt off the ground so that’s harder (or at least as difficult) than sitting in a stand and having to draw back. I have to pick good cover and move slow raising the xbow. It’s actually easier to shoot my compound. Either one if I misjudge the range I’m going to wound or miss the animal. Still gotta do your part
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 pm

The weapon is only as good as the hunter
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”