What are you the best at?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

What are you the best at?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am

I think that hunting is made up of a bunch of different segments and categories. Everyone on this site is different and has different goals. One guy may want to be the best he can be at purely locating a specific buck and hunting that buck all season till he gets it. The next guy may be good at hunting beds until he kills a shooter. The next guy may be great in equipment talk and understand the science and engineering behind all of his equipment(Bowhunter15 for sure IMO). Another guy may have a passion for antlers so he decides to become an official antler scorer. The next guy may be taxidermy. Maybe you just like anything deer talk related. Maybe you want to be in the best state where the biggest whitetails are to hunt only the biggest whitetails in the world. Maybe you challenge yourself and only hunt public land deer?

For everyone of us, this is a bit different. It defines who we are. To truly become great at something you need to have a laser focus on it. You need to be able to filter out the distractions so that you can maximize your time achieving your goal. You need to be that person that practices more free-throws than anyone in the game and can therefore make more free-throws than anyone in the game. When we have a laser focus like this, we sometimes miss things that are important because we become too focused.

So the question is... who are you as a hunter? what category would you put yourself into. Where might you be missing detail?

Ragingun

Re: What are you the best at?

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am

Good conversation.

A few things are a priority for me. First of all I really thrive on and am very good at stalking deer. I've been able to get within arms reach of deer. Heck, my employees call me a ninja, one second I'm there and the next I'm gone without a trace they say lol. I use that talent a lot in the natural world and really enjoy stalking or jump shooting ducks as well. With this talent comes the ability of being able to set a stand without a sound as well.

Secondly I love to share knowledge of my experiences and help others become better at what they do, in this case hunting. I truly like the challenge of opening up peoples minds to see what else could be. Too many hunters become narrow minded and it limits their potential.

Lastly I enjoy setting up and tuning bows. I do this a lot for my local archery club and even help the pros troubleshoot their issues.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 pm

One of the few things I would comfortably say I'm good at is......My full time attention to detail. In field or past tense I very seldom let any circumstance/information
go undeciphered.
It's proved to be a very valuable tool for me and something I use well in all segments of hunting which I agree there are many of. .^. .^.

If you want 10,000 word answers ask me what I'm worst at
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm definitely not a gear guy. I couldn't tell you what brand of arrows I have. I don't know who makes my camo... I just hunt with what works and is cheapest.

I'm also not a cam guy. I might try a little harder though this year.

I'm not a big moon guy. I could care less where the moon is. I hunt when I hunt.

I'm not a scent control guy. Nope. I stink.

I'm not a tracker. I like tracks but seldom follow them unless I am blood trailing.

I am a student of the public land game...

I am very patient and persistent...

I am a mobile hunter.

I am good at adjusting to pressure...

I am an efficient deer killing machine....
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:43 pm

One thing I'm good at is having fun and living in the moment. Killing is not my only intentions but a necessary factor in the complete experience. Some are said to be killers! I'm a chess player, the challange, the work, the smell of fresh meat on a crackling fire is what makes me feel I'm alive. I've seen my share of both glory and death, hunt for the right reasons... And that's not a sales pitch but for the fact u actually like to hunt, try your best enjoy your time out there and enjoy eating what u kill. Not running around hooping and hollering I just set the world on fire, just awsome f-ing awesome! And turns out u don't eat meat bought the buck for 20 grand And care nothing about the so called sport! Be true to yourself
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I try to be the best at making mistakes, learning from them, and moving forward without dwelling on them. I also try to be the best I can be that day, and try to make my best better each day.

I’m not a lot of things. I’m not a great shot when it matters most, I’m not comfortable climbing trees, I’m not a good hunter where I’m always in the game. But what I am, is able to acknowledge these flaws and will do everything to be the best at getting better so one day I will be the best.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't want to brag or anything but I'm great at not killing big bucks. :clap: :clap: Yet.....
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Bigwoods doesn't lend a lot of opportunities to shoot mature deer, for whatever reason I have always made the most of those opportunities. I think a blew a few chances as a young kid and realized I needed to be better and that has never left me. I for sure need to work more at in season scouting, just limited time has me picking hunting over scouting when it should lean the other way.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Enjoying the "ride" and the time I spend out in the woods!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Im good at grinding, wont give up. Seems harder as I age. Blank sitd don`t bother me, I know Im huntin right. Confidence. While others in my party are out killin sm bucks & does I stick to my plan. A few of them like to keep score, usually im down early & hear about it in some fun ribbin,but I get more & bigger than them in the end, just keep grinding first to last day. Mike
SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm inexperienced and am not set in a path. One of my strengths is my ability to research and learn. My area of improvement is execution and persistence. My lack of success isn't about what I know, it's about what I do and don't do. I know I can kill.

I'd like to be a generalist. I want to bowhunt whitetail, mule deer, hogs and elk; I'd like to also hunt fall black bears,moose, and sheep/ mountain goats. I also like all kinds of fishing. I just want to be a well rounded outdoorsman with enough woodsmanship skill to enjoy as much as I can in my lifetime.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

I'm good at getting on deer. Good at getting on those 2.5 or 3.5 olds. Those older deer get a little more difficult for me.

One practice I live by. There is a right time an a wrong time to hunt a spot. If you wait from experience when to hunt a spot. Your chances for success is good. If you hunt a spot before it is ready and you burn that spot before its time. It is not worth hunting when it gets right. There is nothing like boots on ground to answer questions, Know when it is time.

That said. I see a lot of hunters that will do just opposite and wonder why nothing happen.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:02 pm

I’m best at keeping a positive mental attitude and using pure determination to kill a buck. This season was a challenge but I just kept marching on. Quitting is not in my vocabulary. If you don’t truly love being out there it’s extremely hard to do.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm

My strength by far is looking at various plants and figuring out what they're eating & why they are in a specific spot. It's also my career so it doesn't necessarily count but I use it to help me out

Excellent topic though. I know Zach from The Hunting Public mentioned recognizing and using your specific strengths or advantages to kill deer
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Insatiable desire to learn. Never giving up , and always believing it can be done. Failure has been the ultimate learning tool in hunting for me, and the process of learning is what I enjoy the most. Hence I dont consider any thing that happens in the woods a "failure".

Currently my weaknesses outnumber my strengths so they would be easier to list!

Chad

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”