What are you the best at?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfisher

Re: What are you the best at?

Unread postby Bowfisher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 pm

This is a weighted question for me.
I feel I really enjoy understanding quality equipment, I'm in engineering school currently and it is just how my brain works, how I am. I also shoot competitively for WVU, so I'd say the archery part of it I'm pretty into as well... but I'd say my 2 best attributes are my dedication and my hunger for knowledge. Like many here, I will grind and grind until it happens. No matter what! And I'm ALWAYS trying to learn more, always. I feel that is very important.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

What am I the best at... I would say putting forth effort is my strong point. I will do whatever it takes if I know I'm on a big buck. I hunt until I kill one.

I ended up wearing waders on a lot my hunts this fall, and even needed them for a pre-season observation stand. I'm out there in the heat and mosquitoes early season, and I'm out there when the daytime high is well below zero late season. Much of my effort is geared toward improving and getting answers for future years. That goes for both the property that I pick to hunt on a certain day, and also where/how I hunt within that property. If I have a question, I want an answer. And I want it right now. ;) Even if that means setting up in a low odds situation today if that gives me a solid answer for tomorrow and next year. I have the same mentality when I'm scouting. Sometimes I know I'm in a low odds area, but I scout it anyway because it will clear my mind. I have my answer, now I move on to the next question.

In time all of that effort should eventually leave me with more answers than questions, and I'll be in the game for the biggest bucks in the area on the majority of my hunts.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm

I have given this some thought over the years. I think I'm really good at just sitting in a tree doing nothing but hunting. No phone or games or books or any of that for me. Just plain sitting and hunting. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm best at challenging myself to do things.....not doing it the easy way....whether it's in the woods or doing something else I enjoy. And killing good bucks around my area is a challenge, so it's right up my alley.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 pm

I like blaming others for my lack of ability ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 am

I am good at sitting long hours in cold weather and going where others won't. I know I'm not a great shot, I don't have great hearing, I'm not a gear guy, I'm learning the scouting side... I'm not even good at being quiet with my entries.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 am

My buddies tell me im nuts for going thru what i go thru to hunt public land. Id like to tell them yea but look at my results....unfortunatley i dont have much to show for so i just make them look smarter!!!! So i guess im good at proving others right :roll: :roll: :roll:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:35 am

I guess its probably looking at the big picture. Any one thing I don't think I am very good at. But I know I have to be just good enough at everything to find success. An area good enough to hold the deer I want to chase. Spots good enough to offer shots. Hunt at a good time to maximize my odds. Practice enough to hit what I am aiming at. Each one of those is equally important to me.

Start to finish I try to keep an even focus and not get hung up on one aspect to the detriment of others.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 am

bigbucks1234 wrote:I don't want to brag or anything but I'm great at not killing big bucks. :clap: :clap: Yet.....

Lmao me too bro we in the same boat hopefully it changes soon
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:17 am

If I had to pick out my strongest area I would say rut hunting the big woods. I know if I scout there and put my hours in I can fill a tag just about every year.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I like blaming others for my lack of ability ;)

I'm sorry Ed...It's my fault you suck! ;) :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 am

Determination, desire to improve, and discipline. I don't want to be the "best" at anything per say, but I want to be better than who I was yesterday, in every aspect. Shooting, scouting, woodsmanship, physical fitness, etc...it's all just part of the way I'm programmed. Its been the best mentality change I've made in the last 5 years. It helps to never be satisfied, because I know there is always progress to be made.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 am

well rounded yes best at anything not yet but I'm working on it lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 am

Removing burdock from camo.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:23 am

tgreeno wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I like blaming others for my lack of ability ;)

I'm sorry Ed...It's my fault you suck! ;) :lol:

Darn Youuuuu :angry-cussingblack:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”