best lesson learned from 2017

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: best lesson learned from 2017

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 am

I learned to use a mobile hang-on. It really is a lot more versatile as far as getting into just about any tree I want to.

I had kind of a strange season. Didn't have much luck with early season bed hunts then shot a 2.5 year old early in my rutcation. Going to keep trying to hunt bucks early season, but not to the point of burning out. Going to make sure when I pull the trigger during the rut it's a buck I really want to hang my tag on.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 am

Something thats been my downfall two years in a row start picking the correct tree dont just settle for one thats close.

Take much more time focusing on the tree im going to hunt.

Ive been in the right areas just the wrong tree on several occasions.

If i could tell new beast one thing it would be take much more time learning every single detail about a buck bedding area and exactly where you will setup then trying to find buck beds as fast as possible it was my biggest mistake learning to beast hunt. Im sure im not the only one thats made this mistake.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 am

stash59 wrote:Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

Because my health had improved to a good enough point I got to hunt quite abit in 2016. I thought I'd continue to improve health wise. Some things did improve but others didn't and new stuff popped up. Leading to a season no better in 2017 than 2016.

So I need to think in my head to plan for the best, but not be surprised by things being the worst.

God bless and good health to you brother i hope 2018 is you best season yet health and success wise
Go gettem
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 am

What i learned this year
1joining the beast best on November 12th deer hunting forum decision ive ever made
Getting dans dvds and watching them
Getting totally mobile with my setups and knowing if there is a tree somewhere thats hot i can hunt it
Learning about thermals and the different thing the wind does in certain thinks
I have alot more to learn but cyber scouting an effective way ( what to look for ) and learning how to effectively scout on the ground
Totaly avoiding most spots i used to look for and hunt around they were total tv learned spots that never pan out
Realizing i dont ever need a expensive lease to be successful
Starting my ytube channel ( work in progress)
( coming very soon ) meeting the beast himself
Gonna be a huge thing for me to meet him and actually get help from in my eyes the best in the field
Making new friends on the beast
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 am

Scout w a purpose do not wander.

Hunting overlooked locations with confidence.

Push even closer to bedding.

Most important...keep perspective and enjoy the hunt!
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 am

I learned scouting in early spring is great but I need to do more scouting during the hunting season .I also learned I have to practice a lot more in the off season with my mobile treestand setup.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm

The best lesson I learned is, You can never work hard enough! I need to take it up a step. I need to scout more, deeper, & expand my hunting foot print! I need more good areas, and I need to cut some of my bad one loose. Then hopefully I can also get out more during the season. Be it in-season scouting or hunting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Dewey wrote:Big lesson learned by me in 2017 was don’t get too overconfident in your shooting abilities. I haven’t wounded a deer in 15 years. During that time if I released an arrow something died quickly. This year I wounded one buck and completely missed another. No matter how long you hunt or how well you shoot a season like mine will eventually happen. All I can do is learn from it and do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening again in the future.

That's my #1 lesson after this past bow season.
..I didn't practice much at all during the summer of 2017,,, but even though it's easy for me to shoot good at 30 yards right out of the box on Labor day weekend, I think I need to actually remember to" aim small, miss small," when I'm shooting at deer, ,, I did Not do that this past season and it cost me big time.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 pm

5 yards might as well be a mile. You have to have a shot and if your 10 yards off of where you need to be ,move. I also learned that in some cases I need to back off a bit. I tend to be setting up too close in some cases in thick cover and normally not very high in a tree. With these circumstances the result has been getting pinned unable to draw.
Overlooked spots do exist and often require extremely creative access. The list could go on and on.

Chad
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Jeff G wrote:I was reminded by a slob buck to always have your weapon in your hands when on stand.

X2. It wasn’t a slob but a shooter. Snuck in during a heavy wet snow storm and busted me. Never knew he was behind me. I think it’s very important to always be at the ready, especially when it’s hard to see or hear the deer during windy and/or wet conditions.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I learned not to text my girlfriend back at 5:10 on November 3rd while I’m hunting a thick bedding area where I cannot see a deer until it’s almost on top of me and never do that while my bow is on a hanger because if I were to do that a mid 140’s buck may or may not sneak in and bust me reaching for my bow and send my hunting mindset into a jumble of nervous wreck and a blown opportunity! I seriously learned that it only takes one moment to kill the buck you worked so hard to kill all year long, and it only takes one moment to screw up the best opportunity you may get all season! Lesson learned!
Persistence pays!!!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Time. Understand it and use it wisely. I learned how good it can be when you act on it immediately. Also learned the hard lesson when you don’t wait for the appropriate time. Understand the time your dealing with and never cheat it.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 am

Jonny wrote:1. Be more comfortable with my gear and confident in my ability
2. Failure is okay. Wasting time second guessing isn't. Make a decision, go with it and learn from it.
3. Don't let stupid stuff get to you. Hunting is fun and a way to get my mind off life

Wow I love your #2 spot on! That's probably my biggest weakness you just solved for me! Thanks
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 am

Two things stand out for me. When I get a buck take better pictures and pay better attention to land that is newly open to public hunting, even if it means driving farther then I usually do.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 am

I am good at getting a kill shot on the first deer to move through the area but I realized this year when letting some does and bucks pass that i need to think a little more about my wind after they come through, often my wind if just off enough in my favor up unto a certain point and then its in the deers favor. Definitely a great way to get on deer but if young ones come through first then it can lead to tails running and blowing. i know that big boy is going to be among the last deer out and a few of my sits this season the bucks I passed got passed me and then caught some of my wind and boogered out of there probably messing up chances for the mature buck to come through-

i also need to have more confidence in scouting sign with stand on back- couple sits i hunted terrain not sign and got skunked
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”