Lone Wolf vs XOP

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dpierce72
500 Club

Lone Wolf vs XOP

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 am

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been attempting to upgrade my system. Currently I have (2) M100 Microlites and I like the fact that I can have multiple receivers to hunt varrying destinations. However, they are somewhat loud transporting to the woods and a bit noisy when you lock them into the receivers.

Lately, as a result of this forum and some others, I've been researching the Lone Wolf system but I keep getting threads on XOP as well.

The basic debate seems to be the Lone Wolf is USA made while XOP is not ...and XOP is a little less expensive and the sticks are already camo.

My question is - what is the difference? The links I find are somewhat dated so this may not even be a valid question.

Any info from people who have used both? Or done the research.

Please disclose if you're affiliated w/Lone Wolf or XOP - won't make a difference but just like to know.

Thanks for the time!

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Lone Wolf vs XOP

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 am

If you wait a little longer, Dan is making his own stand and sticks and should be lighter and just as good as either lonewolf or xop by what i have read and seen!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am

Thanks for the reply ...great to know.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:56 am

The Lone Wolf - XOP debate will go on forever. Everyone has their own opinion. They both make a product, that works. I choose neither 8-)

Do a search, and you'll find many comparisons & opinions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 am

tgreeno wrote:The Lone Wolf - XOP debate will go on forever. Everyone has their own opinion. They both make a product, that works. I choose neither 8-)

I think it's neat to witness Dan's progression of how he's working through the process of getting his Hunting Beast setup to market. I think it's inspiring to see this and really want him to succeed in his endeavor!
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 am

tgreeno wrote:The Lone Wolf - XOP debate will go on forever. Everyone has their own opinion. They both make a product, that works. I choose neither 8-)

Love the quote ...And I've been doing research. Problem = Paralysis by Analysis ha. Most of the threads were also several years old. thanks!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 am

If I have a choice, I try to buy US made items. I've never let price be my sole deciding factor in any purchase. I am currently happy with LW products.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 am

I’d never pay full retail price for either. Xop is heavier than the comparable lone wolf model BUT has some different features that make them different but similar. Both get the job done.

I don’t buy the China vs us debate. It’s fine if others do, more power to you. I never trust my life to a tree stand or climbing sticks. I trust it to my climbing ropes, biners and harness. All of that is made overseas. I don’t see lone wolf being better to justify the cost difference. And I own a xop and lone wolf stand. I have tons of china stuff and never had anything bad quality. Design yes. But the design was us.

Sticks, I’d wait for dans. Stand, I know dan has one in the works but I doubt it will be ready in time for the season. So I’d buy used whatever is the best deal. Saw a 8.5 lw on Craigslist for $175 a week or two ago.

My favorite stand of my two is my assault just cause of the dimensions and light weight. The xop seems like overkill for me
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 am

Dpierce72 wrote:

Love the quote ...And I've been doing research. Problem = Paralysis by Analysis ha. Most of the threads were also several years old. thanks!

I think most of the information is still applicable for both manufactures. No big changes for either in the last year or two.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:56 am

Jonny wrote:I’d never pay full retail price for either. Xop is heavier than the comparable lone wolf model BUT has some different features that make them different but similar. Both get the job done.

I don’t buy the China vs us debate. It’s fine if others do, more power to you. I never trust my life to a tree stand or climbing sticks. I trust it to my climbing ropes, biners and harness. All of that is made overseas. I don’t see lone wolf being better to justify the cost difference. And I own a xop and lone wolf stand. I have tons of china stuff and never had anything bad quality. Design yes. But the design was us.

Sticks, I’d wait for dans. Stand, I know dan has one in the works but I doubt it will be ready in time for the season. So I’d buy used whatever is the best deal. Saw a 8.5 lw on Craigslist for $175 a week or two ago.

My favorite stand of my two is my assault just cause of the dimensions and light weight. The xop seems like overkill for me

Any link to Dan's work (stand/sticks) or is it just word of mouth from some in the know? Just curious...
tibolli

Unread postby tibolli » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 am

Dpierce72 wrote:
Jonny wrote:I’d never pay full retail price for either. Xop is heavier than the comparable lone wolf model BUT has some different features that make them different but similar. Both get the job done.

Any link to Dan's work (stand/sticks) or is it just word of mouth from some in the know? Just curious...

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43508&hilit=1.4+pound+sticks
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am

tibolli wrote:
Dpierce72 wrote:

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43508&hilit=1.4+pound+sticks

GREAT link - thanks... Looks like I'm going to pump the breaks for about four months...
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:32 pm

NorthWoodsWis...,

Thanks for the heads up! I sent for my update kit immediately after reading your post. I got my XOP sticks a couple of months ago and I don't know if the sticks that I received were upgraded to correct the problem or not. I am getting the upgrade anyhow...better safe than sorry.
MoBob

Unread postby MoBob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 pm

I prefer lone wolf, I like how they use thicker cables on the stand and I don’t like how the xop sticks lock together, they seem to loosen up over time and you have to end up strapping them down like the lone wolf sticks anyway. I would t worry about xop sticks being Camo because I would reccomend wrapping in stealth strips anyways. But honestly they are both really nice stands I just like lone wolfs better. I do like the cast beam on the xop vs the lone wolf square tubing on the stands
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 pm

My xop vanish and sticks is a little on the heavy side long walks in really suck. Quarter turn locking system on sticks are good idea but have had to weld them because the role pins break. I would probly wait for Dan's sticks double step with be really nice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”