The killing plot...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: The killing plot...

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

I think on quick decisions it's s very difficult . We get only so many chances it can be so easy to second guess.

Really enjoyed the video and admire you for showing that as hunters sometimes we do get difficult decisions wrong at times.

The last mature 8 i shot i made this same mistake and took a bad shot never found the deer at some point it happens to every hunter we can only learn from our mistakes and try to make the best decision possible in a small timeframe.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

Dewey wrote:Thanks for being so honest Dan. What sets you apart from other hunting personalities is you are not afraid to share your failures. As hard as they are to talk about the message helps the rest of us more than you could ever imagine. I needed to hear the end of the video. You and I had such similar circumstances on blown opportunities this past season it’s uncanny. I feel your pain and know how humbling that can be. Let’s hope for a better 2018.

Exactly, 100% right. You never see anyone with a following of any kind show their failures. Dan shows them and teaches from them. Amazing to see.

I shot my largest buck to date this year (thanks again to beast tactics) and couldn't recover him either. It gutted me. To the point where I thought I might just become a deer photographer instead of a bowhunter lol. Seeing videos like this one and the stories the other guys have shared really makes me feel better and wants me to continue with the bow.

Thanks again lads!

Cheers
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks for sharing Dan! My buddy had something happen to him that was similar this season. 3 bucks came running through after a doe and he ended up rushing his shot on a decent 8 point and hit it high. He tracked that buck a long ways but in reality it wasn't going to die. A month and a half later we got him on a trail camera looking no worse for wear. I'm confident that he'll be fine and will grow a little for next year. I'm hoping it was a learning experience for my buddy. ;)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am

Awesome video Dan!

It just goes to show in hunting, you never stop learning! If you bowhunt long enough, the odds are you will wound a deer. It's what we learn from those experiences, that makes us all better hunters! Thanks for another hunting lesson!

The question I have is...All 3 of those hunts seemed to be just off-wind. Was there a reason why you didn't hunt it on more of a cross-wind, or wind in your face? I assume if it's primary bedding, they will be in there no matter what the wind direction is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 am

Good video...I need to see how not to be in a hurry...getting to the tree, setting up and possible shot...Also, thanks for mentioning the confidence factor and how trying to make things happen might go awry. Do the homework and let it happen.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am

tgreeno wrote:Awesome video Dan!

It just goes to show in hunting, you never stop learning! If you bowhunt long enough, the odds are you will wound a deer. It's what we learn from those experiences, that makes us all better hunters! Thanks for another hunting lesson!

The question I have is...All 3 of those hunts seemed to be just off-wind. Was there a reason why you didn't hunt it on more of a cross-wind, or wind in your face? I assume if it's primary bedding, they will be in there no matter what the wind direction is.

The 1st hunt was a west wind. That was the best wind. We had a lot of South winds this year. Te second hunt was predicted a S/W wind which I felt at the time would be a good wind. However, once there, the wind was blowing more south than west. I thought that was a fluke, cause I checked it before going back and it was S/W.
the 3rd hunt was predicted a S/W wind. Again, I checked it before going in. Once at the tree, again it was blowing almost straight south. Obviously, it must be a terrain feature pulling or altering the wind. Most likely the opening below the food plot in combination with the surrounding higher ground channeling the wind that way.
Now I know... Will be looking for Northerly or straight west in the future. Straight west is the best cause the deer tend to come out to my west and circle around the back side of me. North would blow right to them when they get behind me. Ironically though, North is the only wind that allows me to access without passing by the bedding upwind.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 am

dan wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Awesome video Dan!

The 1st hunt was a west wind. That was the best wind. We had a lot of South winds this year. Te second hunt was predicted a S/W wind which I felt at the time would be a good wind. However, once there, the wind was blowing more south than west. I thought that was a fluke, cause I checked it before going back and it was S/W.
the 3rd hunt was predicted a S/W wind. Again, I checked it before going in. Once at the tree, again it was blowing almost straight south. Obviously, it must be a terrain feature pulling or altering the wind. Most likely the opening below the food plot in combination with the surrounding higher ground channeling the wind that way.
Now I know... Will be looking for Northerly or straight west in the future. Straight west is the best cause the deer tend to come out to my west and circle around the back side of me. North would blow right to them when they get behind me. Ironically though, North is the only wind that allows me to access without passing by the bedding upwind.

That a great point you bring up! Alot of people (including me) don't always take into account the deer winding them, after they pass by! Only about getting winded up to the tree. Great point! Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:04 am

Aha so the Big Buck Serial Killer does miss!

All jokes aside I had the same issue you mentioned in the video. I lost confidence in myself after missing/losing several deer and didn't know what to do. I even sold the bow I lost so much confidence in it. It's such a frustrating feeling I can't begin to describe it..

Glad to see you posted the video with some insight, it's definitely not all sunshine & rainbows in the deer woods. This is one of the big reasons why I opt to follow your hunts more so than the "professionals"... because your hunts are real. The good, the bad and the ugly we see it all & there's always a lesson learned.

Also shame on the land owners to deny permission to search for a mortally wounded deer. In GA we generally call Game Wardens to retrieve deer where permission is denied. Not sure about your state/regs but it's the one time in the wood where I'm happy to see Green Jeans! :lol:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:18 am

Twenty Up wrote:Aha so the Big Buck Serial Killer does miss!

All jokes aside I had the same issue you mentioned in the video. I lost confidence in myself after missing/losing several deer and didn't know what to do. I even sold the bow I lost so much confidence in it. It's such a frustrating feeling I can't begin to describe it..

Glad to see you posted the video with some insight, it's definitely not all sunshine & rainbows in the deer woods. This is one of the big reasons why I opt to follow your hunts more so than the "professionals"... because your hunts are real. The good, the bad and the ugly we see it all & there's always a lesson learned.

Also shame on the land owners to deny permission to search for a mortally wounded deer. In GA we generally call Game Wardens to retrieve deer where permission is denied. Not sure about your state/regs but it's the one time in the wood where I'm happy to see Green Jeans! :lol:

In Wisconsin the game wardens can't retrieve the deer either.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:55 am

dan wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Aha so the Big Buck Serial Killer does miss!

In Wisconsin the game wardens can't retrieve the deer either.

10-4 guess they don't have near the power compare to GA's Wardens. Our wardens do not need probable cause to search a vehicle, house or property. Property lines do not exist for them here, for better or worse.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:17 am

Thanx for sharing. Lotta good lessons.

On a side note when did you place the cam? No cam on 1st hunt. But there for 2nd & 3rd.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Babshaft wrote:
Dewey wrote:Thanks for being so honest Dan. What sets you apart from other hunting personalities is you are not afraid to share your failures. As hard as they are to talk about the message helps the rest of us more than you could ever imagine. I needed to hear the end of the video. You and I had such similar circumstances on blown opportunities this past season it’s uncanny. I feel your pain and know how humbling that can be. Let’s hope for a better 2018.

Exactly, 100% right. You never see anyone with a following of any kind show their failures. Dan shows them and teaches from them. Amazing to see.

I shot my largest buck to date this year (thanks again to beast tactics) and couldn't recover him either. It gutted me. To the point where I thought I might just become a deer photographer instead of a bowhunter lol. Seeing videos like this one and the stories the other guys have shared really makes me feel better and wants me to continue with the bow.

Thanks again lads!

Cheers

X2, on everything you just said. But we always seem to pick up the bow and keep on keeping on.
Last edited by rfickes87 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:27 pm

I knew you had a little deer farmer in you!
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Great video Dan . I appreciate you sharing with us all the good, bad and ugly this hunting season in your journal and videos. You definitely stuck with it til the very end and never gave up while keeping positive attitude through the entire season. I think that alone makes it a successful season in my eyes. It very motivational to me and I’m sure many others that have followed your journal this season. Thanks Dan
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Twenty Up wrote:. Our wardens do not need probable cause to search a vehicle, house or property. Property lines do not exist for them here, for better or worse.

Our wardens are the same here, sometimes the state police call them where their jurisdiction ends
never heard of calling them for retrieving a deer
I'll keep this in mind if needed
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”