The Addiction: What is the best part?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mnswamphunter

Re: The Addiction: What is the best part?

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm

The hunt and making a clean shot.

Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 pm

For me deer hunting is pretty much all I think about and it's really hard for me to pick out my favourite part. I really enjoy the scouting aspect of it. I love being able to pick out an area on a map, putting boots on the ground and finding what I'm looking for. I enjoy working on my equipment and tweeking my setup. I enjoy the hunt itself but try to think of every sit as just another piece of the puzzle. The kill is fantastic and I enjoy the celebration after. I guess if I was to pick the part I enjoy the most is the solitude and fulfillment I get from deer hunting.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm

For me it's being in the presence of a big buck that I get off on. I can't get enough of it. This is probably the wrong attitude to have but I consider it a success if I can lay eyes on one.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:12 pm

I am 25 now and I like im sure many guys on here will agree. I dont think I have went a single day since I was about 13 without thinking about hunting.

That is what I like the most about the addiction is just the absolute desire to strategically figure out hunts and go do it. I very often think how deppressing it is that some or maybe even most people dont have something in their life that they are as passionate about as we are towards hunting. Have you ever sat back and thought, man what would I do with my life if I didnt hunt!?
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 am

My addiction is now from what ive learned from dvds you tube and this forum is scouting effectively and putting it all together ( not that i have yet )
My buck sightings have went way way way up since changing my whole outlook tactics and locations going (beast mode)
I wish i started this 10 years ago lol
I havent seen any mature bucks yet but im sure that will improve with time
ive had alot of family stuff going on so wasnt alot of time in December and early january for me but when i was out there and put these tactics and what ive learned together it has boosted my confidence and made me positive that it will. Its a feeling of knowing not if im going to its when. Positivity is so powerful Thnks to all who have helped me here in couple months. Xb
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 am

To me it's what transpires after the shot takes place. The rush, remembering the hard work, the adjustments, all that took place into what it took to kill that animal. That feeling is the feeling we all keep chasing. It's why men get shook up, cry like babies, feel extremely low when a miss happens, and keep after it. That chase is apart of the rush. That rush is the addiction fix or high I chase. The rest all falls in line with it to me that it took to get that high.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:33 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
My favorite part is seeing that buck come out of a place I scouted. Hard work paying off is a big one too. Or seeing him do what I expected or didnt expect. IDK what it is but seeing a buck emerge from the place I thought he would be sleeping is one of the craziest highs ever.

Same here
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 am

I've been thinking about my answer. Down at farm I enjoy everything as a whole. From time I arrive until time I leave. I guess biggest rush I get is when it is a cool morning and you make shot on a good buck. You just sit in stand an start to settle down. The slow release of adreniline from excitement. I get shakes so hard that I can't do anything but smile while trying get word out while texting on phone. I also enjoying trailing up a deer for someone. Lot of times I will point them in direction I think it went. I just slow track on blood trail. I like when they sound out with report. Here he is. You tell excitement in there voice.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Man good question....all of it. Stepping on my land I worked so hard for,strategizing spots for cams then getting 2 or 3 years worth of pics of a certain Deer then watching him appear and get the shot years down the road after spending countless hours wondering how it will all play out then hearing the crash and walking up on him . Even those tough drags up the bluffs and miles walked looking for sheds and scouting. It’s all the beast I mean best lol. I hope it never fades......
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:35 am

I love the peace and solitude of the woods or field. If I can get somewhere that I can't hear or see any signs of man, that's the place...just me and God's creation.

I love being in a spot where I'm suddenly covered in deer, even if I'm not shooting at them, just to know I could get so close to such elusive animals.

Birds...there is something about birds for me. It is awesome the types of birds I see close at hand that I don't see in town. I've nearly been struck by a flying turkey, a falcon, have seen a dozen of the reddest cardinals dancing around the branches 10' away. The way a blue jay stands out against the dying landscape.

I've only shot one deer (first in five seasons of trying) , it was cool, but there are sooo many aspects of being out there in nature that appeal to me more than the kill. If you told me I couldn't shoot any deer, but I could still do every other aspect of hunting, i would still be out there.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:19 am

The addiction is real, my wife says I have a problem :lol:

I love so much of it, but when I hear footsteps coming from where I think a big buck should be coming from, my heart gets to pounding long like it coming out of my chest. When that goes away, I may stop hunting.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:26 am

My 4 year old son is begging me to take him hunting. That's the best part so far....I would trade in every buck I've killed for keeping that.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:34 am

JoeRE wrote:My 4 year old son is begging me to take him hunting. That's the best part so far....I would trade in every buck I've killed for keeping that.

Joe you won’t believe how great it is when they shoot their first one. My oldest son shot his first deer, a small doe, this past fall. I was more excited after he shot it than any big buck I’ve ever killed.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 am

The first time I lay eyes on a buck that I scouted and put a ton of time in to get to that point.
It ain't about killing them, its about outsmarting them.
:violence-bowandarrow:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
JoeRE wrote:My 4 year old son is begging me to take him hunting. That's the best part so far....I would trade in every buck I've killed for keeping that.

Joe you won’t believe how great it is when they shoot their first one. My oldest son shot his first deer, a small doe, this past fall. I was more excited after he shot it than any big buck I’ve ever killed.

Can't wait man!

My son just spotted his first deer before ol dad saw it the other day. In the past I would point them out to him to see. That was a rush itself! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”