Episode #4 - Swamp Hunting with Scott Shawl

• Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Episode #4 - Swamp Hunting with Scott Shawl

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 pm

Nocturnal wrote:Bumping a great podcast for anyone who hasn't listened to this yet. Nice job SB!

Thanks- I've enjoyed all the Hunting Beast podcasts!

WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Just listened to this podcast a second time, and then read this thread. Very well done, and thank you for doing this. I joined last winter, and am just hunting beast style for the first time. I hunt a private land cedar swamp, and while I did a lot of scouting last winter, it is still overwhelming. This info helps break it down and hopefully I have something to show for it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:43 am

WISCOANDY wrote:Just listened to this podcast a second time, and then read this thread. Very well done, and thank you for doing this. I joined last winter, and am just hunting beast style for the first time. I hunt a private land cedar swamp, and while I did a lot of scouting last winter, it is still overwhelming. This info helps break it down and hopefully I have something to show for it.

Make sure you post how your Cedar Swamp hunt turns out. There is no finer security cover...
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Listened to the podcast tonight, thanks for all the great info guys! @singing bridge, I'm a newbie hunter who wants to go up into the northern Ontario boreal swamps looking for bears and am wondering if you've seen much bear sign up there or have any advice on how to go about getting started. Also, in the podcast you recomended that newbies to swamp hunting should go with an experienced partner at first but i don't think that's possible for me, if I was to start practicing just looking for entry and exit trails in smaller local swamps and practicing walking into the swamps would you have any safety tips or things to make sure to do?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:22 pm

I listened to this podcast yesterday. A lot of great info and sounds like singing bridge hunts in swamps very similar to mine. I’ll definitely will listen to this one a few more times!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:27 am

Bearpawon wrote:Listened to the podcast tonight, thanks for all the great info guys! @singing bridge, I'm a newbie hunter who wants to go up into the northern Ontario boreal swamps looking for bears and am wondering if you've seen much bear sign up there or have any advice on how to go about getting started. Also, in the podcast you recomended that newbies to swamp hunting should go with an experienced partner at first but i don't think that's possible for me, if I was to start practicing just looking for entry and exit trails in smaller local swamps and practicing walking into the swamps would you have any safety tips or things to make sure to do?

Regarding bear in the boreal swamps, it is such a large prospect... the areas I frequent are absolutely loaded with bear and the swamps will be an excellent place to start. The swamps in the boreal forest areas I frequent will give me sightings of 7-10 bears per hunt.

Bears are much more difficult to get out than deer... keep that in mind especially if you hunt by yourself. There's no need to go deep in areas with low pressure. If there is a lot of pressure you should adjust a bit, but the swamps are so impenetrable you shouldn't have to go very deep.

Safety tips, someone needs to know the location of the area you are hunting. If something happens to you, such as a shattered pelvis fall, the search teams need to have at least a general area to begin. If you can afford it a SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER unit and a subscription will provide added security.

In areas with poor cell coverage, remember that a text message will go out in its entirety with any tower connection- however brief. Trying to make an emergency call will often have the call dropped over and over... and getting a complicated rescue message out may not be possible.

A tourniquet, a few bandages and an ACE wrap in your pack are never a bad idea. Tourniquets are very light weight and there are plenty of videos to watch as far as application and technique. Take the time to view them. The bandages are for literally stuffing them inside the wound if it is deep. An ACE wrap over the top will create a pressure dressing.

Hope that helps, ask questions any time. Bridge
Bearpawon

Unread postby Bearpawon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Bearpawon wrote:Listened to the podcast tonight, thanks for all the great info guys! @singing bridge, I'm a newbie hunter who wants to go up into the northern Ontario boreal swamps looking for bears and am wondering if you've seen much bear sign up there or have any advice on how to go about getting started. Also, in the podcast you recomended that newbies to swamp hunting should go with an experienced partner at first but i don't think that's possible for me, if I was to start practicing just looking for entry and exit trails in smaller local swamps and practicing walking into the swamps would you have any safety tips or things to make sure to do?

Regarding bear in the boreal swamps, it is such a large prospect... the areas I frequent are absolutely loaded with bear and the swamps will be an excellent place to start. The swamps in the boreal forest areas I frequent will give me sightings of 7-10 bears per hunt.

Bears are much more difficult to get out than deer... keep that in mind especially if you hunt by yourself. There's no need to go deep in areas with low pressure. If there is a lot of pressure you should adjust a bit, but the swamps are so impenetrable you shouldn't have to go very deep.

Safety tips, someone needs to know the location of the area you are hunting. If something happens to you, such as a shattered pelvis fall, the search teams need to have at least a general area to begin. If you can afford it a SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER unit and a subscription will provide added security.

In areas with poor cell coverage, remember that a text message will go out in its entirety with any tower connection- however brief. Trying to make an emergency call will often have the call dropped over and over... and getting a complicated rescue message out may not be possible.

A tourniquet, a few bandages and an ACE wrap in your pack are never a bad idea. Tourniquets are very light weight and there are plenty of videos to watch as far as application and technique. Take the time to view them. The bandages are for literally stuffing them inside the wound if it is deep. An ACE wrap over the top will create a pressure dressing.

Hope that helps, ask questions any time. Bridge

Thank you! As far as getting bears out, it's something I've been trying to figure out. Maybe calling to try get them to come out in daylight so I dont have to track in the dark, field dressing, skinning and quartering them up on the spot, covering with black pepper, and hauling out 1/4s. I've also heard of guys having a deep freeze on a small trailer at the truck filled with bags of ice or frozen plastic pop bottles full of water (ice) to cool down the meat once you get those 1/4s there as well. But if the bear is floating in swamp... :think:
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am

Love the podcast Mario and singingbridge . Thank you!. I wish I could see your maps and other images to relate it to what you’re posting about :think: . Stupid photo bucket!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:Love the podcast Mario and singingbridge . Thank you!. I wish I could see your maps and other images to relate it to what you’re posting about :think: . Stupid photo bucket!

Try this fix:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41612
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

stash59 wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:Love the podcast Mario and singingbridge . Thank you!. I wish I could see your maps and other images to relate it to what you’re posting about :think: . Stupid photo bucket!

Try this fix:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41612

Ty stash !! :P
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:24 am

Scott just referenced Page 4 in a recent Big Woods post.

Bumping it because it's a really cool breakdown.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:19 am

greenhorndave wrote:Scott just referenced Page 4 in a recent Big Woods post.

Bumping it because it's a really cool breakdown.

Glad you found it useful!

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”