Sheds, Deadheads and Weed

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Treewalker87

Sheds, Deadheads and Weed

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:18 pm

While walking some public this past weekend looking for sheds and deadheads I found some shady doings in the thickets. There were multiple sites cleared out with pot plants, well remnants of them, from this past summer. Problem is, thats about 100 yards of where I hunted twice this past fall. I never walked through the center of the bedding to discover it then, but now it makes sense why I didn't see much in that area- the deer were too stoned to get out of bed! What would you do? Find a new area? Report it? Do nothing? Just curious on your take on the subject.

Been hunting here for 15 years and this is the first time I have stumbled upon this so close to where I hunted.

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Sheds, Deadheads and Weed

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Tough call, did it look like a major operation, like hundreds of plants? Or was there a few plants, like some guy was growing his buddies' and his stash for the year?
Also, was the clearing set up like they might reuse it next year, sophisticated irrigation, things like that?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Report it and walk away for awhile
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:44 pm

I would have a perfect entry to an observation stand and on a moonlit night when the crops are ready I would slide in and harvest them beasts.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Tough call, did it look like a major operation, like hundreds of plants? Or was there a few plants, like some guy was growing his buddies' and his stash for the year?
Also, was the clearing set up like they might reuse it next year, sophisticated irrigation, things like that?

Didn't look major. Just enough care into it that it wasn't some high school kids. Like I said I have been through those woods for 15 years and never saw this.

Jonny wrote:Report it and walk away for awhile

It's tough because I have killed 3 nice ones there. However, I think I may relocate for a season or two and keep a watchful eye. If its a reoccurring theme then I'll blow the whistle.

magicman54494 wrote:I would have a perfect entry to an observation stand and on a moonlit night when the crops are ready I would slide in and harvest them beasts.

Depends on which the wind direction :lol:
sourpuss

Unread postby sourpuss » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:18 pm

You could always write them a friendly note in a plastic bag stating that their gig is up, and the authorities were contacted. Place said bag attached to the thickets where they would see it.

Stoners are paranoid...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 pm

If it was a huge operation in a very remote spot I would be seriously worried because someone is likely watching it and may use deadly force to protect it. After hearing about the mexican cartel doing this in Nicolet National Forest that fear is real. Hopefully I never come across something like that and if I do hope I make it out alive. If I do that would obviously be turned in because those type of people will completely ruin the landscape and leave all kinds of garbage behind.

Last year while scouting/checking cams on some Iowa public land in July I came across a couple pot plants on the edge of a cornfield. Obviously somebody planted them for their own use as it was only a small amount. I just let it be and didn’t even consider turning it in. When I went back in October to hunt nearby I checked and it was gone.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:01 am

magicman54494 wrote:I would have a perfect entry to an observation stand and on a moonlit night when the crops are ready I would slide in and harvest them beasts.

Wrong people out there and you might become a news headline. :cry:
They have night vision...
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 am

sourpuss wrote:You could always write them a friendly note in a plastic bag stating that their gig is up, and the authorities were contacted. Place said bag attached to the thickets where they would see it.

Stoners are paranoid...

Good thinkin. They would probably be too afraid to return. Definitely would print it and not hand write it though.

Dewey wrote:If it was a huge operation in a very remote spot I would be seriously worried because someone is likely watching it and may use deadly force to protect it. After hearing about the mexican cartel doing this in Nicolet National Forest that fear is real. Hopefully I never come across something like that and if I do hope I make it out alive. If I do that would obviously be turned in because those type of people will completely ruin the landscape and leave all kinds of garbage behind.

Last year while scouting/checking cams on some Iowa public land in July I came across a couple pot plants on the edge of a cornfield. Obviously somebody planted them for their own use as it was only a small amount. I just let it be and didn’t even consider turning it in. When I went back in October to hunt nearby I checked and it was gone.

Like I said, didn't look huge, maybe 10-20 plants per clearing, but it wasn't small either. I agree with the trash being left behind. It's a shame. As far as safety goes, I always carry while scouting, but not when bow hunting. I usually stay out of the woods in July and August and September. I'm guessing by October "growing season" is over. Might consider it if I end up hunting near that area though.
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:37 am

There is a piece of public I used to hunt with a buddy where I grew up. We found a grow op in the winter one year but left it alone and didn't mess with anything. We had the guys on trail cam constantly the next summer when harvest season came again, but they always walked by and waved and never touched our stuff. My thinking is they can dig their own graves and as long as they didn't mess with me I wasn't picking up a shovel and helping.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:08 am

Sounds like its just a local potheads stash, not a major operation. To be honest, most of the major operations are grown indoors nowadays. I found these same type areas all the time on public land in NY. As a general rule, they dont seem to plant in the same area more than once. Check in the middle of summer for plants. If theres none, hunt the spot. Biggest thing that irks me is they always seem to leave those plastic planters laying around after they harvest their crops. Thats how I know there was something there most of the time.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:12 am

I wouldn't worry about it. If it was big I'd just stay away from it
Make It Happen
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 am

Alot worse things out their then a few plants god created. Unless the planters become violent or try to run you off I wouldn't worry about it.

The persons parents could be on Kimo and need it who knows that growers reason and daily life.

I would be much more upset about trash being left behind the woods deserve to stay natural.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 pm

No matter where I spend time in the darn state; someone always finds my spots.... haha :lol: :mrgreen: :naughty:
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 pm

I have found two grow operations on SE Wisconsin public land. Amazingly, both were in mature buck bedding areas! I have not hunted either of these areas because I hunt to enjoy myself (not worry about being whacked). But I do chuckle sometimes when scouting, as I joke to myself, "if I were a pothead, where would I grow?" This seems to lead me to mature buck hidey holes!! Go where people don't go!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”